Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

I need a scource for gallon jars
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 14, 2008 11:44PM

On my web site the most looked at page every month is the fermenting jar for sourkraut,kimchi,and pickels. I am out of the gallon jars and need a new source.
They take a 110MM plastic threaded cap. I will give one free to whoever comes up with a new scource.

elnatural

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I need a scource for gallon jars
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 15, 2008 12:48AM

A customer sent me this recipe. I haven't tried it yet so I can't veryify how good it is. The person was very sure of what they were saying so I'm going to put this on my site too. They are testing this recipe with my fermentation jars now.

Nicks way cool Kimchi

This is a my way to make Kimchi that keeps it semi tradional.

1 2 pound head of Napa Cabbage ( This will make about 2 quarts )
6 cups water ( I prefer filtered water )
2 1/2 tbsp. sea salt
1 bag of Nampick Mae Anong Chili paste in oil. 16 oz. ( You can get it or order from your neighborhood asian market. It's from Bangkok Thailand. )
4 oz. rice vinegar
7 garlic cloves. 3 crushed, 4 thinly sliced.
1/4 cup sliced carrots ( do it the way you like it ) I like them about 1/8 x 1/8 x 2 inches
1/2 cup sliced green onions ( about 1/2 inch in length is good )
1 tbsp.sesame seeds or more. It's up to you ( They keep their flavor after fermenting. Yummy little bites of sesame goodness. )
2 1 quart glass jars
2 freezer bags

Remove the internal bag from the chili paste bag. then cut a small corner off it. (about 1/8 inch ) Let the excess oil drain. ( about 1/4 to 1/2 oz. will come out ) Get rid of this. it's oil that is not needed.

Slice the cabbage in about 1 to 1 1/2 inch cuts. This is all you need to do. It will make pieces up to 5 inch lengths. Then rinse these pieces. Put these aside and disolve the sea salt into the 2 cups of boiling water. Then add 4 cups of chilled water ( remember the brine needs to be at room temp. or cooler when you start the fermentation process )

In a large bowl place the napa cabbage and pour the brine on top. You will need an inch or more of space above the water line. Then place a plate that is large enough to cover the cabbage. ( This is to keep the cabbage under the brine. ) This next step sounds weird but it seems to help the process. ( It happened by accedent and thats the way I do it now. ) For 6 hours place the cabbage and brine at room temp. them place in the refridgerator for 12 hours. Then remove and let sit for about 6 hours till room temp. ( maybe it's like a lucky charm. I don't know. )

Open the chili paste bag into a sealable container. then add the rice vineagar, sesame seeds and, crushed garlic. Mix it up till it's done. ( If you need me to tell you when it's done. The Cooking Police will show up to confiscate your apron. ) Then seal and refridgerate

When the cabbage is done setting, get two 1 quart jars and place a piece of cabbage ( and brine. see below ) with a smear of the chili paste ( You will not use all of the chili paste. It's about 4-6 quarts worth of paste. ) onto into each jar. While doing this divide the carrots, green onions and garlic slices and add to the jars. ( look for a nice mix. )

Pour the brine from the bowl into the jars a little at a time so that no air bubbles have a chance to stay in the mix. ( The jars should be about 3/4 full of the cabbage and, the brine should be at the same level. Place the bags into the jars and pour enough of the brine into each bag to hold the cabbage under the brine. Add brine if needed to make sure it is covered.

Take these jars and place at 60-70 degrees F. for 3-7 days. Check for the level of sour that you like at the 3rd day and each day after. ( I like the 7 day version. )

At the 7th day cap the jars and shake the Hell out of the mix to get everything together. Add more chili paste to taste if needed. Then refridgerate. Or just start stuffing your face. ( These will keep for months when properely chilled. )

elnatural

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables