Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Who does she think she is ?
Posted by: cy ()
Date: October 11, 2008 10:08PM

[www.whodoesshethinksheis.net]

Very interesting documentary.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Who does she think she is ?
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: October 11, 2008 11:03PM

The title of the film does not make sense in this day and age.

That may have been the attitude a century ago but now women are expected to do EVERYTHING : career, family etc.

This seems to be the norm, not an anomaly.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: October 12, 2008 02:08PM

Interesting.

I have to wonder about this for the reason that La_V brought up.

Posted by: baltochef ()
Date: October 12, 2008 04:53PM

What I find interesting about the entire modern-day career versus motherhood argument is that those societies in the past that afforded women the opportunity to participate in every aspect of daily life, to include being hunters & warriors, treated every child in the society as if each & every man & woman in the society was that child's mother, father, sister, brother, aunt, uncle, grandmother, or grandfather..

This allowed the woman, if she so chose to do so, to participate in any aspect of daily life, regardless of how dangerous to her that activity might be, without having to worry about who would raise her child if she was killed..The beauty of such societies was that they recognized that women, just like men, were composed of differing temperaments & abilities..Not all men were cut out to be a hunter or warrior, just as not all women were cut out to be perfect mothers..Such societies took advantage of each individual person's strengths so as to bring the greatest benefits to the society as a whole..These societies recognized that a woman that might not be a very good mother, might be a good hunter, warrior, maker of tools, etc..

Why such societies never became the norm, instead of the rare exceptions, never fails to amaze me..Pigeon-holing men & women into narrow life-style choices with little or no opportunity to step outside of those choices, does not benefit the society..Instead, it locks men & women into careers that in many instances they are not suited for..People that are unhappy in what they do as regards to their everyday lives, will never allow that society to reach it's full potential..

In my opinion, I think that what the film is trying to say is that all of these modern-day late 20th Century & early 21st Century women have had to struggle, in some cases mightily, to find the time to express themselves as artists..That without the support system of an entire family, clan, tribe, or society to help in raising the child, or children; that artistic expression for a woman is exponentially more difficult than for a man..

Whether or not we wish to admit to it, artists, regardless of their means of expression, are not highly regarded by most of the world's peoples..Very few societies place a high value on artists while they are living & practicing their craft..The end result of an artist's expression is often valued after they are dead, but seldom while they are alive..The prevailing attitude for centuries has been that if a person "chooses" to be an artist, they do so at their own peril..

The attitude seems to be that if a person is going to be an artist & choose not to contribute to society by providing a service that is essential to everyday life, then that person has to accept that most of the other people in that society are not going to regard that person in a very favorable light..Art, regardless of it's form, is looked at as not being essential to everyday life..

Thus, actors, musicians, painters, sculptors, writers, athletes, etc. are to be looked on favorably if they achieve success, but scorned when they don't..I believe that this contempt for art lies at the root of the immense popularity of print & visual tabloid journalism..Most humans working dawn to dusk jobs, especially mothers, have little regard for the peccadilloes, insecurities, & weaknesses of people that have achieved financial success & security; only to have wasted such opportunities..

I feel compassion for people that have a gift for any form of artistic expression when they cannot, or are not able to express it..I believe that true artists are hard-wired in their brains for their particular form of artistic expression..I believe that these folks are no more able to not be an artist, than they are not to live & breathe..

Bruce

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: October 12, 2008 06:30PM

Bruce,

I love your post. It is so thought provoking and insightful.

Thanks you,
Kise'

Posted by: cyclopsale ()
Date: October 12, 2008 10:40PM

Baltochef-
Beautiful post. I didn't really understand what the video was about, but now I understand. And it's correct.

Posted by: Kit ()
Date: October 13, 2008 02:27AM

baltochef,

"Why such societies never became the norm, instead of the rare exceptions, never fails to amaze me..Pigeon-holing men & women into narrow life-style choices with little or no opportunity to step outside of those choices, does not benefit the society..Instead, it locks men & women into careers that in many instances they are not suited for..People that are unhappy in what they do as regards to their everyday lives, will never allow that society to reach it's full potential.. "

Thanks for posting, I must agree with you.
Kit

Posted by: cy ()
Date: October 13, 2008 02:37AM

Very beautiful and true Bruce.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: October 13, 2008 03:05AM

>I feel compassion for people that have a gift for any form of artistic expression when they cannot, or are not able to express it..I believe that true artists are hard-wired in their brains for their particular form of artistic expression..I believe that these folks are no more able to not be an artist, than they are not to live & breathe..<

Great thoughts, Bruce. I couldn't agree more.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: October 13, 2008 04:15AM

hey bruce

i don't know which i like more:

your scientific scrutiny of different cutting boards " wood vs plastic vs..."

or your anthropological humanist perspective

i think i like both\

thankssmiling smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 14, 2008 10:38PM

oh that's it. i'm moving in!

Date: October 15, 2008 04:25AM

moving in WHERE?

into the cyberspace forum? LOLsmiling smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 15, 2008 02:23PM

i'm moving in with Teh Bruce, he's wicked cool yo. mister amazing i tell's ya!

Date: October 15, 2008 06:16PM

"teh bruce"

who does he think HE is???

LOL smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables