Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Kill Your TV - Find A Life
Posted by: RusticBohemian ()
Date: December 18, 2008 02:32PM

Hey guys.

I gave up TV six years ago, and it's made a huge difference in my life. I wrote an article about it here: [www.raw-food-health.net]

What about you guys? Anyone free of TV? I'd say that it's made almost as large an impact in my life as going raw, and I'd say it's just as important.

Getting free of the box opened me up to all kinds of other experiments. I mean, with the average American watching 4 and 1/2 hours a day. When you give up TV it's like getting 2 extra months tacked onto your year.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Kill Your TV - Find A Life
Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: December 18, 2008 03:10PM

i love tv

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: December 18, 2008 03:32PM

I agree; I really don't like sitting down in front of the TV much either. In my situation it's kind of necessary at times, though. My husband is blind and can't read, so he likes to listen to a movie sometimes. So 2-3 times a week, usually around 9 or 10 pm, I'll sit down with him and find a movie on cable for us to watch. I can't leave it just to him, because he needs me to interpret some of what's going on that he can't see. No great harm done, and it makes him happy. I'm just careful to look for really good movies that have content that's uplifting in some way.

But in general, we avoid television, except to watch Frontline or a nature program once in awhile. Sit coms, hour-long 'dramas' and crime shows, and 'reality' shows (what a misnomer) bore both of us to tears.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 18, 2008 07:49PM

I have been waiting for a thread with this topic.
And if it didnt come,I was going to start one.
Thanks for doing that Rustic!

As time goes on,I am watching less and less tv.I have found it flashes images at you that can really distort your perception of reality.And make you think that life should be a certain way,and if yours isnt then something is wrong with you.
About the only things I watch anymore are home fix-up shows,or nature documentaries.
Other than that it stays off now,and its amazing how it frees your mind up to be,well......mindful....of the present moment,and to go on to be creative and actually HAVE A LIFE!.Oh.....and to actually pick up a book and read it.
Yes,if there is one thing tv does to everyone,it wastes time that could be used for something else.One of the worst wastes of time for me is to watch sports...all those guys running around,making millions in the process,and making the viewers fatter and eat more chips.There have been times when I have been around people watching tv,,,hour after hour,,,not getting off the couch,,that I have bolted up and said "I gotta get out of here and do something!" Ride a bike,work in my shop,make a meal....anything .
Still,there are other times when I pop in a dvd to see what the guys on Taxi are up to,or an old movie.

You wrote a great article.

Brian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2008 07:58PM by Raw1228.

Posted by: RawSun ()
Date: December 18, 2008 08:18PM

I still have a tv for watching movies, but I don't get any channels and haven't for about 5 years. I certainly do not miss it.

Sunflower
Raw Food Chef and Writer
Comfortably Raw
[www.comfortablyraw.com]

Posted by: ruby ()
Date: December 18, 2008 08:24PM

I do not find anything wrong with TV watching. It can be very damaging if it's done in excess (like most of everything), but occasionally, why not? I do not like sitting in front of TV for hours, but really enjoy some of the shows. My personal favorite: "Little People, Big World" on TLC. I learned so much about dwarfs, about their challenges in this world, etc... If I did not see the show, I would never pick up a book that targets life of dwarfs (must say that I love reading). This is just one example.

On the other hand, I can understand people who choose not to watch TV, as there is more garbage than good stuff there. You just have to be selective.

It's nice to see a good movie, and TV in my house is a must for that reason, as I absolutely HATE going to the movies. Reason? People eating, talking on the phone, bringing small children... Yes, I love my fellow humans, but not in that environment. Netflix is my best friend in that department!

Regards to all of you, and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!!!

Ruby

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: December 18, 2008 09:47PM

i waste way more time on the computer smiling smiley i hardly watch tv smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: zanjabil ()
Date: December 18, 2008 11:33PM

Jgunn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i waste way more time on the computer smiling smiley i hardly
> watch tv smiling smiley

LOL, this is what I was thinking. My first love is books, I choose to read with my free time. TV is on the bottom of my list...I watch tv when I'm folding laundry. Or I have it on so I can listen to the news while preparing dinner.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: December 19, 2008 04:51AM

If I wasn't with Jonathan, who kind of needs the TV now and then for audio stimulation, I'd be tempted to throw the darn thing out. Well, I'd probably keep it so I can listen to cable music channels, however-- they're pretty cool.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 19, 2008 08:05PM

I happened upon a nice show last night about a multi millionaire who assumed the role of an impoverished man living in a motel room in a slum area of Las Vegas.In one week he came to know several homeless shelters,and some people living on the streets.It moved him to tears.
The show ended with him writing a check for $100,000 for one of the shelters.
Now this is the kind of show that SHOULD be on.

Brian

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 20, 2008 02:30AM

I haven't had a tv for the better part of a decade, I haven't watched tv regularly in almost two decades. But I spend a lot of time online, which is not a significantly better way to pass the days and nights.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables