Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

True henna or other plant pigment--anyone ever used it for covering grey?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: July 23, 2010 12:31AM

I am talking about pure pigments, not adulterated henna (with added chemicals). I have never dyed my hair, I am 44 with about 15% grey, but it's not totally noticeable. But I always had dark-brown hair and now it's reverting back to how it was when I was a toddler--auburn! Combined with the grey it's looking a bit washed out and I wish to make it more vibrant. I have nice hair and don't want to fry it with any chemicals that alter the hair shaft. I also have pretty coarse hair so I don't want it to get even coarser and I heard that true henna will make the shaft silkier. So it's intriguing to me and I was wondering if anyone has experience with henna and/or indigo, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2010 12:32AM by banana who.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: True henna or other plant pigment--anyone ever used it for covering grey?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 23, 2010 01:28AM

It all ends up looking red and the white will be GLOWING red. Do a strand test in an inconspicuous area before committing to it. It doesn't really fade either,it coats the hair shaft so you are stuck w it until it grows out and it can't be overdyed if you hate it. You either have roots forever or you keep hennaing it forever.

Plus it stinks. I mean REALLY stinks. Smmmeeelllyyy!

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: July 23, 2010 02:27AM

does it always stink or just after you first do it?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: July 23, 2010 02:35AM

The mud itself is rank, I mean PU to the max and your hair smells like that for a good couple of days afterwards too. If I recall correctly you aren't supposed to shampoo it for a day or two either, just rinse. That could be a wrong remembering though...
My mum and friends used to have henna parties, the kids would all run outside screaming and stay out there all day long. Heh.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: July 23, 2010 05:13AM

i concur , with coco, henna the natural stuff turns your grey into a glowing , stand out red/orange , its almost worse than the grey itself lol

my conclusion so far (an ive been near 50% grey for 10 years) suck it up an dye it or live with the grey

so far im dying smiling smiley

my hair is naturally curly , thick, but fine, and auburn

im thinking i might try lighting it all over with lemon this summer an see what happens smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: July 23, 2010 05:18AM

J take care with the lemon, especially on treated hair. It is very drying and that isn't the best thing for natural curls as I'm sure you know. My hair can be like the Sahara, it needs all the moist it can get!

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: July 23, 2010 10:14PM

banana who Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> .....I am 44 with about 15% grey
There's nothing as sexy as a woman in her forties
with a touch of gray. I'd say dye it if you hang with that
type of crowd....otherwise, let it go Natural. I have a hunch
that you are an au-naturel type. Or do you like to paint your
fingernails?......WY

Date: July 24, 2010 12:24AM

Coco: I have seen demos where it's not the case. My hair is still quite dark. I would imagine that it creates a highlighting effect for those who just have strands (not patches) of grey. Plus, my hair is very thick so it's not like someone with sparse hair that is white in large areas. I just watched a young Black woman do it and it looked very nice on her.

Date: July 24, 2010 12:29AM

WY: LOL!!! No, I have never had a manicure and it's a badge of honor to me, although somewhat dubious, I suppose. I just had the experience several years ago of working with a bunch of young women in their 20s (I was in my 30s) and they made it a habit to go get their nails done every week and I just didn't get it. Thanks for your alternative input; I suppose there is a reason I have been resisting this. I don't want to be something I am not. I have given up wearing makeup except on very, very rare occasions. And I was one of those who wouldn't be caught dead walking around without eyeliner. But I am out of work and don't want to be discriminated against, even with only a bit of telltale strands. Also, the rest of my hair looks kind of washed out. I used to have quite dark-brown hair. Matter of fact, for a while it was almost black!

Date: July 24, 2010 12:36AM

I LOVE a manicure, pedicure too. I don't get any polish because OMG gross! Stinks and your nails can't breathe and who knows what that junk is and it looks ridiculous IMO anyhow. But I do so enjoy the soak, the relaxing massage, etc. They are amazing, no less so than a back rub.

Good luck with the lemon juice treatment!

Date: July 24, 2010 12:47AM

Oh, okay. Is that standard with manis? Because there's a beauty school where I could get one for $5!

Date: July 24, 2010 03:02AM

Call and ask, betcha they are learning hand massage along with the other stuff. You might find it smelly in the salon though if someone else is getting polish or those ghastly fake nails. Instead of polish old school salons used to offer to buff your nails for a natural shine. My mom had an old nail buffer (ivory and suede, gah) that was really effective for that. Wonder if anyone still does it...

Is there a hair school near you as well? Nothing like a $5 hair cut, lovely shampoo and head massage, deep conditioning treatment... ahhhh. None of it is with natural products but meh, it's just once or twice a year and it is SO relaxing and so unusual for me to get pampered like that. I used to live very close to a school that did both. I miss it.

Date: July 28, 2010 12:35AM

Yeah, those chemicals are just brutal! The nail polish is the worst but the heavily scented shampoo and conditioners are also hard to take, although I have seen a bit of change in that area.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables