Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

1 in 10 to the 10th to the 30th An orderd universe
Posted by: riverhousebill ()
Date: January 27, 2009 07:16PM

Physicist Roger Penrose, who helped develop the
theories about black holes, has said that the chance
of an ordered universe happening at random is nil: one
in 10 to the 10th to the 30th, a number so large that if
you programed a computer to write a million zeros per
second, it would take a million times the age of the uni-
verse just to write the number down.
Lapaz

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2009 07:20PM by riverhousebill.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1 in 10 to the 10th to the 30th An orderd universe
Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: January 27, 2009 08:00PM

WOW!!!

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: January 27, 2009 10:28PM

That's too good NOT to be true, Bill. Thanks for posting it.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: January 28, 2009 01:09PM

right. Anyone who tries to deny the existence of 'god' via scientific argument really has their head in Newtonian sand, not looking or experiencing that which is all around them at all times.

"Thank god" things are finally shifting about even in intellectual circles. Let those of doubt cling to the reality they want...they can keep it.

But I suspect they will want to write the computer program first! lol!

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: January 28, 2009 01:46PM

Yeah, I believe there is nothing random about it.

Date: January 28, 2009 04:15PM

head in Newtonian sand, not looking or experiencing that which is all around them at all times. right on Anaken yes at all times

Jesus the Small Crab,
"The sanctuary pools that glisten in the in the mornings
sunlight rustle with movement of small beings. Branching out
from the oceans shore, waves wash through, a shadow of rebirth.
Jeus takes the form of a small crab. From still rocks he creeps
silently into the cool pools of light, opening himself to be seen
by the world, to be loved, to be accepted as all beings long to be."
Zoe Bresky, Secret Freedom

Date: January 28, 2009 04:36PM

"The big bang is so preposterus," says renowned
astronomer Allan Sandage, co -discoverer of the
quasar, "and the chain of events it set off so
unlikely, that it makes most sense when thought as
a 'miracle'"
For the sake of agument, let's assume Sandage is
right. If the very beginning of the universe itself was
a miracle, then everything in it is impregnated with
the possibility of smaller but equally marvelous miracles.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: January 28, 2009 05:59PM

riverhousebill Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If the very beginning of the universe
> itself was
> a miracle, then everything in it is impregnated
> with
> the possibility of smaller but equally
> marvelous miracles.

Such a happy thought!

Date: January 29, 2009 12:18AM

Kary Mullis is the only Noble Prize-winning scientist ever
to suggest that some aspects of astrology are valid.
he's also the most distinguished prodigy in history to
have decribed a close encouter with a UFO. When he's
not doing pioneering research on the human genome, he likes
to surf and explore shamanism,
He;s a scientific genius with a vibrant sole," said
a critic who reviewed his autobiography Dancing Naked in
the Mind Field. "there is nothing too preposterous for
him to rigorously investigate and learn something valuable
from, just as there are a few commonly held truths in
which he cannot find some fundamental fallacy."

Date: January 29, 2009 01:09PM

cool.

I had heard of that book (probably recommended) but was unaware of Kary Mullis

see this forum is not so useless smiling smiley

thanks Bill

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: January 30, 2009 06:41AM

indeed not so useless at all

thanks riverhousebill for what u posted
i always thought the same that there were endless within endless within endless within endless amount of "coincidences' to be simply "coincidence'

if u open up a physics book, a biology book, a math book, a chemistry book:

in actuality, you are studying the cohesive thing that unifies all things
perhaps all science books are really spiritual/religious books,

that is the way i always approached it
don't really see the difference at all between science and "miracles"

one and the same to me

Date: January 31, 2009 06:58PM

OPEN SECRET

We live in the Milky Way Galaxy, which is shaped like a pinwheel.
In 2003, astronomers were shocked to discover that the pinwheel
has a fifth arm,one more than they've always thought.
It's not as if as if it had been hard to spot: It's 77,000
light years long!I was absolutely flabergasted," astronomer
Tom Dames told NewScientist.com "it was clearly seen in previous
surveys but was never pointed out or given a name."

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 11, 2009 02:49AM

riverhousebill Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kary Mullis is the only Noble Prize-winning
> scientist ever
> to suggest that some aspects of astrology are
> valid.
> he's also the most distinguished prodigy in
> history to
> have decribed a close encouter with a UFO.

Everybody knows that Kary Mullis is now a nutjob. But he did do some really outstanding, breathtakingly outstanding work at one time.

Date: February 13, 2009 04:25AM

why?...because he forms unique yet plausible arguments against things that make no sense but everyone believes anyway?

[www.giveittomeraw.com]

Date: February 13, 2009 04:36AM

No, he's considered to be mentally unstable these days. Matter of fact, he had a number of unstable personality traits even in his heyday.

I read the book "Making PCR" and it painted a very unflattering portrait of him. Maybe if you read it you will see why he is not held in high regard these days. You will also see why what he came up with was so astoundingly brilliant, although there remains some debate as to how much exactly he contributed.

It's only one book but I've read enough about him elsewhere and his crazy ideas to believe that he is indeed a loony tune.

It is a trite saying that there is a fine line between genius and insanity but I suspect that he was always insane and had a moment of genius.

That does not make anything else he purports to believe in these days (no such thing as AIDS, no such thing as global warming, astrology, etc.) worth considering.

Date: February 13, 2009 05:16AM

the *person* doesn't make the ideas interesting or worth considering or not worth considering. The fact that the conflicting ideas theories proven to be - at the very least - unable to be disproved. FYI no one believes there is no such thing as AIDS or global warming, they believe they are labels for things that are phenomena with inappropriately labeled causes and contributing factors.

If you believe 100% that there is no way HIV is not a sexualy transmitted virus of which everyone will contract due to contact and if untreated by pharmaceuticals will results in the AIDS virus and death. then I really don't know what the hell you would even be involved in the raw food movement.

I've already admiting to being not all that infomred about him in particular, but undboutly real breakthroughs and genius (speaking of concepts not individuals) is going to lead to mass slander due to REAL fear and/or also REAL finance. not just talking high art or intellect here: blatently visible in media treatment of Tom Cruise, Polanski, Mel Gibson, and Marlon Brando etc...I mention these because there is no stigma of science involved ( I guess except for Cruise)

[www.giveittomeraw.com]

Date: February 13, 2009 12:09PM

Negative proof is a logical fallacy.

Date: February 13, 2009 04:40PM

Kary Mullis' biography

Kary Banks Mullis, Nobel Prize-winning chemist, was born on Dec. 28, 1944, in Lenoir, N.C.

He received a Bachelor of Science degree in chemistry from the Georgia Institute of Technology in 1966. He earned a Ph.D. degree in biochemistry from the University of California, Berkeley, in 1972 and lectured in biochemistry there until 1973. That year, Dr. Mullis became a postdoctoral fellow in pediatric cardiology at the University of Kansas Medical School, with emphasis in the areas of angiotensin and pulmonary vascular physiology. In 1977 he began two years of postdoctoral work in pharmaceutical chemistry at the University of California, San Francisco.

Dr. Mullis joined the Cetus Corp. in Emeryville, California, as a DNA chemist in 1979. During his seven years there, he conducted research on oligonucleotide synthesis and invented the polymerase chain reaction.

In 1986, he was named director of molecular biology at Xytronyx, Inc. in San Diego, where his work was concentrated in DNA technology and photochemistry. In 1987 he began consulting on nucleic acid chemistry for more than a dozen corporations, including Angenics, Cytometrics, Eastman Kodak, Abbott Labs, Milligen/Biosearch and Specialty Laboratories.

Dr. Mullis received a Nobel Prize in chemistry in 1993, for his invention of the polymerase chain reaction (PCR). The process, which Dr. Mullis conceptualized in 1983, is hailed as one of the monumental scientific techniques of the twentieth century. A method of amplifying DNA, PCR multiplies a single, microscopic strand of the genetic material billions of times within hours. The process has multiple applications in medicine, genetics, biotechnology and forensics.

PCR, which was the theoretical basis for the novel and motion picture Jurassic Park because of its ability to extract DNA from fossils, is in reality the basis of a new scientific discipline, paleobiology.

Dr. Mullis has authored several major patents. His patented inventions include the PCR technology and UV-sensitive plastic that changes color in response to light. His most recent patent application covers a revolutionary approach for instantly mobilizing the immune system to neutralize invading pathogens and toxins, leading to the formation of his latest venture, Altermune LLC.

Dr. Mullis was awarded the Japan Prize in 1993 for the PCR invention. It is one of international science's most prestigious awards.

His many other awards include the Thomas A. Edison Award (1993); California Scientist of the Year Award (1992); the National Biotechnology Award (1991); the Gairdner Award, Toronto, Canada (1991); the R&D Scientist of the Year (1991); the William Allan Memorial Award of the American Society of Human Genetics (1990); and the Preis Biochemische Analytik of the German Society of Clinical Chemistry and Boehringer Mannheim (1990). Dr. Mullis was presented the honorary degree of Doctor of Science from the University of South Carolina in 1994. He was inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame in 1998.

His many publications include "The Cosmological Significance of Time Reversal" (Nature), "The Unusual Origin of the Polymerase Chain Reaction" (Scientific American), "Primer-directed Enzymatic Amplification of DNA with a Thermostable DNA Polymerase" (Science), and "Specific Synthesis of DNA In Vitro via a Polymerase Catalyzed Chain Reaction" (Methods in Enzymology).

Dr. Mullis has written an autobiography, "Dancing Naked in the Mind Field," published by Pantheon Books in 1998.

He is currently a Distinguished Researcher at Children’s Hospital and Research Institute in Oakland, California.

Dr. Mullis serves on the board of scientific advisors of several companies, provides expert advice in legal matters involving DNA, and is a frequent lecturer at college campuses, corporations and academic meetings around the world.

He lives with his wife, Nancy Cosgrove Mullis, in Newport Beach, California, and in Anderson Valley, California.

Date: February 13, 2009 10:59PM

I believe he is unemployed these days. Nobody wants him. He certainly hasn't done anything scientific since the PCR days.

some excerpts from
[archive.salon.com]

Nobel dude
Kary Mullis revolutionized genetic research but thumbs his nose at the scientific establishment. It thumbs its nose right back.
- - - - - - - - - - - -
By William Speed Weed

Mullis as the surfer loon, is the most pervasive. I first heard about it two years ago at a bar during a conference in Southern California. Two geneticists were joking about how they should go find Mullis, do some drugs and score some chicks.

"Isn't he the guy who invented PCR?" I asked, surprised. Usually scientists are more respectful of their best and brightest. They said, yeah, Mullis may have invented PCR, but all those drugs, and all that womanizing, and all those crazy ideas about mind expansion had essentially placed his reputation in the alleyway trash bin, but he was fun to joke about.

When Mullis won the 1993 Nobel Prize in chemistry, journalists reinforced this stark morality tale: Boy genius invents a great thing but then behaves so irresponsibly that everyone laughs him out of science's good graces.

With his own book, "Dancing Naked in the Mind Field," published in 1998, Mullis fumbles the chance to show the world he isn't a fool. His writing is not thoughtful enough to justify his eccentricities, and the book makes him seem the jester people say he is. He writes, among other things: O.J. Simpson was innocent and Marcia Clark's a hottie, humans don't contribute to global warming and HIV is not the cause of AIDS. He purports to have found astral planes by scientific method, he relishes old tales of seducing women and taking drugs and he pooh-poohs current science.

"I'd put 90 percent of our present expenditure for physics and space technology on [finding asteroids that might hit Earth]," he writes. "The other 10 percent should go to looking for aliens." All of this is too challenging to simply glide over; and the lack of deeper explanations makes the man seem facile.

During our hour-long phone conversation, Mullis spoke nothing like the bar-stool imitations of him I have heard scientists do. He has a soft voice that retains the diphthongal calm of his native South Carolina. It is indeed a good voice for a successful womanizer, but I was struck more by his consideration in answering my questions. His speech had none of the silly jumpiness of his book. I asked him why so many scientists dislike him.

Why the sidelining, why the laughter? Why must Mullis wear the dunce cap? It depends, of course, on whom you ask.

Rapaport thinks it's Mullis' ego. Rapaport, who had close ties to Cetus, does not dispute that Mullis invented PCR on a roadside in Northern California -- in a sense. But, he says, science hates the "Hollywood hero," the notion that one person creates something complete at the moment of "Eureka!" What Mullis had, says Rapaport, was a theory, nothing more. From there, it took a handful of arguably equal intellects at Cetus months of hard work to take Mullis' notion and create a real PCR, one workable enough for the Blackwoods of the world to do something with. "Reduction to practice distinguishes the brilliant idea from malarkey," says Rapaport.

As for malarkey, says Dan Koshland, a famous Berkeley scientist who knew Mullis, look at everything else he's done. It's fine for a chemist to agitate about matters chemical, but when he sticks his nose into AIDS and global warming, he has crossed boundaries of professional knowledge that should be respected, Koshland says.

And the problem is his prize: He can't be ignored. "He was a free spirit before he got the Nobel Prize," Koshland says. "Now he's a free spirit with a Nobel Prize." And that's just tiresome: "His views on social issues are irrelevant."

But come on, astral travel?

No wonder they don't like him, and they certainly won't accept that reading of his ostracism. In part because of this ostracism, and in part because of his own love of other things -- from surfing to LSD to writing to his new wife -- Mullis has not done much new science since PCR.

salon.com | March 29, 2000

Date: February 13, 2009 11:51PM

anyone who uses the phrase "come on" or " oh come on" usually lives a pointless existence and are really just afraid of what people are experiencing every day of an enriched life.

" oh come on, don't do anything extreme. everything in moderation, eat a variety of food, of course evolution is true, you have to eat food or you will die, you need fiber, the sun is bad for you I know because it brings out all the bad symptoms in my body!, yoga is good exercise I guess but don't know about energy comming out of my ass up my spine, there is no way aliens have ever visited the earth I would know!, if animals could cook they would come now, disease is everywhere, wash your hands and body with soap daily to avoid germs, Michael Jackson and OJ are freaks, there is no way they are innocent I JUST KNOW!THEY LOOK SO CREEPY AND GUILTY!, no Chinese dude has ever turned into a tiger, I know!, Science makes our lives better, look at all the diseases modern science is reversing, people are living longer!, EVERYTHING works out to basic chemistry, food combining? what the hell is that? fruit doesn't turn to alcohol it has vitamins and minerals in it and fiber, there is no such thing as god, because if their was there wouldn't be suffering, Darwin is god, what he said 150 years ago is still true. No i'm not interested in actually looking at the fossil record it just makes common sense and you can observe it every day. that whole laws of physics breaking down at the quantum level, that just for @#$%& in outerspace like all these nutjobs who say i'm responsible for my cold when I know I got it from my freaking kids!"

when someone tells me something that I'm conditioned to find outrageous my response which I have had to culture is usually " oh yeah, neat! explain more" the only time I might say "come on now" is if they said they lived off Mc'donalds frier grease and think it is healthy to sleep 5 minutes every 30 minutes of the day for maximum health. But I would still listen and watch before I ever completely denied that it was possible. I think Fred Bisci's hypothetical "Romaine and Rats" diet IS healthier then what most people on SAD or even raw foods are doing..even long term.

[www.giveittomeraw.com]

Date: February 14, 2009 12:38AM

[I might say "come on now" is if they said they lived off Mc'donalds frier grease ]

It's preposterous, but so are many of the things he claims to believe, especially in light of his education and previous achievements.

But sometimes people go off the deep end. Or maybe he is suffering from premature senile dementia. Or maybe he is just very angry and thumbing his nose at the establishment that ultimately rejected him. It's hard to say.

One thing for sure about this man is that he certainly alienated essentially all of his colleagues at his former workplace of glory with malice and forethought. But you'd have to read the book to get the full flavor. I don't think the book was slander.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables