Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Best places to live on continental US?
Posted by: SurfinBird ()
Date: May 03, 2009 04:42AM

What are some of the better places to live on continental US for eating raw foods and living a conscious lifestyle? Likely one day I will make my way down south, and would like to start considering options.

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best places to live on continental US?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 04, 2009 10:23PM

Northern California. NorthEastern US (Mass, Vermont). I've lived all over. SoCal, Florida, Utah, South Carolina, NY.

Date: May 04, 2009 10:34PM

Course it all depends what you want out of life & the neighborhood you live in.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: May 05, 2009 02:07PM

Wherever your heart takes you!? ;-)

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: May 05, 2009 02:38PM

I want to live in northern New Mexico, Albuquerque or Santa Fe. It looks perfect there for us. There is a large organic farm, lots of educational opportunities, a mild climate, great culture, great hiking, raw food pot lucks......I could go on and on. Something seems to be calling me to go there.

I must get there!!!

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 06, 2009 09:18AM

wonder what belize is like
anyone go there or from there?

Date: May 06, 2009 01:18PM

I just watched Matt Monarch and Angela Stokes interviewing Jinjee about the Raw Vegan Village, and it sounds like the best place on Earth to be a raw homeschooling family.

I would love to live there!

Posted by: riverhousebill ()
Date: May 06, 2009 02:35PM

Mattell Nation, in USA but still outside its bounderies, Rocks steady, Belize too many bugs to eat you mosqitos take small children away!

New Mexico, Almagorda test have contaminated large part of state

the best place ? go where the ground water is still good, now that narrows it down.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: May 06, 2009 03:24PM

>wonder what belize is like
anyone go there or from there?<

Haven't been there, but have a friend who, with another raw food guru, has looked into it extensively as a possible place to move. He found out it is really beautiful, and lots of American expatriates live there, so you can go into town and sit at a cafe and have great conversations with a lot of English-speaking people, and feel right at home. It's an ideal country in many respects, BUT he and his friend rejected it because it has yet to set up infrastructure for the Internet.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: May 06, 2009 07:07PM

I just watched Matt Monarch and Angela Stokes interviewing Jinjee about the Raw Vegan Village, and it sounds like the best place on Earth to be a raw homeschooling family.

I would love to live there!
Storm & Jinjee are scam artists who's goal in life is to cash in on people's perceptions of them & hopes & dreams they project onto them.

I have lived with them & seen numerous people personally get burned by them. One poor SOB to the tune of $50K. They're incredibly friendly & talk a good one, plus they seem to be genuiene about the diet but that's about it. Just don't sign on the dotted line & you'll be ok.

Date: May 06, 2009 10:40PM

Wow Narz, thanks for the advice. I have never heard anything like that about them before.

As far as signing on the dotted line, no worries there. My soul belongs in New Mexico for some crazy reason.

Date: May 07, 2009 01:40AM

no problem, I don't like to disparage people & 95% of the raw folks I've met over the years have been very decent individuals but I was left with a bad taste in my mouth but that bunch (except their kids who I liked).

Date: May 07, 2009 07:57AM

what is raw vegan village?

is it the one by storm and jinjee? or a different one?

plus... what constitutes a scam artist ?

or being "burned"?

was there a written contract?

what did the contract say?

was the contract breached?

did you get both sides of the story?

or just the side of the story by the man who got "burned"

what was your story?

kwan

belize sounds interesting

but why would i want to hang out with a bunch of ex pats?

i like the english language and all

but sometimes i need a break

u know?

if i were to go to belize

it would be to get away

not to " go back home"

Date: May 07, 2009 03:24PM

Hey La V,

yes, we were writing about Storm and Jinjee's Raw vegan village. Their ideas sound fantastic. I think my kids would thrive in an environment like that. I would love for my children to grow up around families who eat, educate and play more like we do.

Riverhousebill,

Do you have any links on Alamogordo's affect on the land and water ect..? I searched but can't find anything but a clean water report.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 07, 2009 03:43PM

isnt Alamogordo just outside the area where atomic bombs and missle testing was done>? sorry if im wrong but for some reason the name rings a bell smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: May 07, 2009 04:12PM

la_veronique Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> what is raw vegan village?

A concept come up with by Storm & Jinjee.

>
> is it the one by storm and jinjee? or a different
> one?

That one.

>
> plus... what constitutes a scam artist ?

Someone who promises one thing to get your money & does not deliver it (or delivers a watered down version of it).

>
> or being "burned"?
>

Well, as an examaple, my partner & I were promised a certain amount of work & a certain about of money. Storm & Jinjee told our landlord they were our employeer & told them we'd be making a certain amount of money in order to be able to cover rent (the place was rather pricey).

I won't say they never gave us a single cent for our work. They gave us about $150. Jinjee also told Jamie she wanted her to be in a new movie she was making. It was never made.

She promised her she'd be there for her childbirth. Instead she moved away without telling us & was not in touch @ all since except to ask us to do more work. Jamie felt abandoned & we were stuck in our place with a lease. Eventually we moved back to New Jersey & Jamie got midwives at 7-months pregnant, the midwives ditched her at the last minute, kept her $3,000 & she ended up giving birth in a hospital, something she never wanted. All because she was misled and lied to (and poor planning & not trusting her intuition, I knew the midwives she hired were bad news but she didn't listen to me).

That's one example, another is promising a "Raw TV network" for kids with hours of programming, getting people to buy in in advanced & putting almost no new shows on there. Same with their "uncooking" "network".

They also lied to us on numerous occasions. Always with a smile.

> was there a written contract?
>

Not with us. Besides our lease. Not sure about Kevin Schmidt or others they've taken advantage of, they try to avoid contracts I'd imagine.

> what did the contract say?
>
> was the contract breached?
>

Again, depends on the case, I can only speak for my own experience with them.

> did you get both sides of the story?
>

Yes.

> or just the side of the story by the man who got
> "burned"
>

No.

> what was your story?
>

See above.

Date: May 07, 2009 04:17PM

pakd4fun Wrote:
> Hey La V,
>
> yes, we were writing about Storm and Jinjee's Raw
> vegan village. Their ideas sound fantastic. I
> think my kids would thrive in an environment like
> that. I would love for my children to grow up
> around families who eat, educate and play more
> like we do.
>
> Riverhousebill,

Storm & Jinjee did not "educate" their kids at all. They did not homeschool. They did not school at all. There kids just basically ran around & read books & went on the computer & had no formal learning.

Which is fine if that's your thing but saying they "schooled" their kids is a misnomer, their kids were pretty much left to their own devices. If they wanted to be taught/trained something they'd better look to books & computers to learn it.

Again, Storm & Jinjee thrive on people putting their own ideals onto them & take advantage of the lonelinesss & lust for community other raw foodists feel.

You don't need to move to the California desert to start a village.

Date: May 07, 2009 05:37PM

>>>"isnt Alamogordo just outside the area where atomic bombs and missle testing was done>? sorry if im wrong but for some >>>>reason the name rings a bell smiling smiley

>>>>...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist "

Yes! That is right. I am going to look for more info on it.

Date: May 07, 2009 07:29PM

The Trinity test, first man-made nuclear explosion, Alamagordo, New Mexico, July 16, 1945. sad part is the test zone went international. Im a life member of the aliance of Atomim Veterans and this was always talked of of insane and how many it cancerd and killed, cattle droped dead 200 mile from the test center
the next day. the DOD department of defense has hired ghost writers to rewrite the whole history and its been done, the real history shows the insanity of everything related to this insane way to boil water and to kill.
New Mexico is a magic place but its hot also!
I have a friend here in Northern Ca. that grew up in Almagorda,
and yes our local doctor clinic doctor said to her Alice if you were a horse I shoot you after exame, shes in her early fiftys same story for all her family members

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2009 07:40PM by riverhousebill.

Date: May 07, 2009 08:54PM

Bill,

Any links or references? I really would like to read up for my self.

Date: May 08, 2009 05:13AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trinity
16 July 1945
If the radiance of a thousand suns
Were to burst at once into the sky,
That would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...
I am become Death,
The shatterer of Worlds.

The Bhagavad-Gita

Last changed 12 March 1999

The first nuclear explosion in history took place in New Mexico, at the Alamogordo Test Range, on the Jornada del Muerto (Journey of Death) desert, in the test named Trinity.

This test was intended to prove the radical new implosion weapon design that had been developed at Los Alamos during the previous year. This design, embodied in the test device called Gadget, involved a new technology that could not be adequately evaluated without a full scale test. The gun-type uranium bomb, in contrast, was certain to be effective and did not merit testing. In addition, since no nuclear explosion had ever occurred on Earth, it seemed advisible that at least one should be set off with careful monitoring to test whether all of the theoretical predictions held.

The origin of the name Trinity for this event is uncertain. It is commonly thought that Robert Oppenheimer provided the name, which would seem logical, but even this is not definitely known. A leading theory is that Oppenhimer did select it, and that he did so with reference to the divine Hindu trinity of Brahma (the Creator), Vishnu (the Preserver), and Shiva (the Destroyer). Oppenheimer had an avid interest in Sanskrit literature (which he had taught himself to read), and following the Trinity test is reported to have recited the passage from the Bhagavad-Gita that opens this page.

Before Trinity: The 100 Ton Test
May 7, 1945:

To help in preparing the instrumentation for the Trinity shot the "100 Ton Test" was fired on 7 May 1945. This test detonated 108 tons of TNT stacked on a wooden platform 800 yards from Trinity ground zero. The pile of high explosive was threaded with tubes containing 1000 curies of reactor fission products. This is the largest instrumented explosion conducted up to this date. The test allowed the calibration of instruments to measure the blast wave, and gave some indication of how fission products might be distributed by the explosion.

The pile of 108 tons of Composition B (a TNT/RDX mixture) prior to being blown up in the 100 Ton Test (46 K).

This image was provided by Peter Kuran, director of Trinity and Beyond: The Atomic Bomb Movie (available on video). Footage of the 100 ton shot can be seen in the movie. The 100 Ton Test

The Gadget
July 12, 1945:

The Gadget components arrive at the test site. Assembly of the test device begins at the McDonald Ranch farmhouse at Alamogordo at 1300 hours.

Delivery of the plutonium core (40 K).

Sgt. Herbert Lehr delivering the plutonium core (or more probably half of it) for the Gadget in its shock-mounted carrying case to the assembly room in the McDonald Ranch farmhouse.

July 14, 1945:

Robert Bacher drives the assembled core to Zero, where final assembly of the Gadget was conducted in a canvas tent at the basis of the tower.

Plutonium core insertion (42 K).

Silhouetted against the canvas, we see the plutonium core being inserted into the explosive shell of the Gadget.

Later that same day, the assembled Gadget (without detonators) was hoisted to the top of the 100 foot test tower.

July 15, 1945:

On the night of July 15th, the detonators were installed in the Gadget, and assembly was completed. Dr. Norris Bradbury, supervising the assembly process noted in his log book: "Look for rabbit's feet and four leaf clovers. Should we have the chaplain down here"?

343x250, 26 K The partially assembled Gadget atop the test tower. Visible in this picture is Norris Bradbury, who later became the director of Los Alamos for several decades upon Oppenheimer's departure.
Bigger image (640x472, 71 K)
Biggest image (935x690, 135 K)

351x250, 33 K Partially assembled Gadget.
Bigger image (640x456, 92 K)
Biggest image (939x669, 142 K)

339x250, 21 K The fully assembled Gadget.
Bigger image (640x472, 56 K)
Biggest image (1024x755, 120 K)

The Trinity Test
July 16 1945, 5:29:45 A.M. (Mountain War Time)
Trinity Site Zero, Alamogordo Test Range,
Jornada del Muerto desert.

Yield: 20-22 Kilotons

Trinity at 6, 16 and 18 milliseconds.

Photos by Berlyn Brixner, LANL.
Click on images above for larger views.

More views

"In that brief instant in the remote New Mexico desert the tremendous effort of the brains and brawn of all these people came suddenly and startlingly to the fullest fruition. Dr. Oppenheimer, on whom has rested a very heavy burden, grew tenser as the last seconds ticked off. He scarcely breathed. He held on to a post to steady himself. For the last few seconds, he stared directly ahead and then when the announcer shouted "Now!" and there came a tremendous burst of light followed shortly thereafter by the deep growling roar of the explosion, his face relaxed into an expression of tremendous relief. Several of the observers standing back of the shelter to warch the lighing effects were knocked flat by the blast.

...All seemed to feel that they had been present at the birth of a new age -- The Age of Atomic Energy -- and felt their profound responsibility to help in guiding into the right channels the tremendous forces which had been unlocked for the first time in history."

Brigadier General Thomas F. Farrell, describing his impressions at S-10,000 a bunker 10,000 yards south of Trinity;
quoted in The Day the Sun Rose Twice by Ferenc M. Szasz, pg. 88.
(15 K)

Below is the aftermath of the detonation, about 24 hours later. A dark area of fused soil (trinitite) radiates from ground zero. In the lower right portion of the picture, the crater from the 100 Ton Test is visible.

The Trinity Crater (52 K)

463x388, 48 K Another view of Trinity ground zero.

340x480, 40 K Oppenheimer and Groves inspecting the remains of the Trinity test tower, 9 September 1945.
Click for big image (532x750, 86 K)

Click for bigger image (500x470, 92 K) The heat of the Trinity explosion melted the sandy soil around the tower to form a glassy crust known as "trinitite". Years later, with a view towards making the Trinity site a tourist-accessible national historic site (a plan that has never been carried out), the mildly radioactive crust was bulldozed into heaps and covered with soil.

There is also a full color gallery of trinitite specimens.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some movies of the Trinity test:
An MPEG Movie of Trinity, no sound (239946 bytes)
Quicktime Movie of Trinity, with sound (961935 bytes). The voice is that of veteran newsreel announcer Edward Thorgerson who died 22 December 1997 at age 95.
Another Quicktime Movie of Trinity (900222 bytes)
Yet another Quicktime Movie of Trinity (1.39 megabytes)
For more more videos, pictures, maps, and documents on Trinity, go to Gregory Walker's Trinity Test Page.

To go to the Summary of the Symposium On The 50th Anniversary Of The Trinity Test, Sponsored by National Academy of Sciences (NAS) & DOE; and held at NAS, Sunday, 16 July 1995 Click here.

You can also try downloading the following documents from Los Alamos National Laboratory in Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) format:

LA-6300-H Trinity by Bainbridge. The authoritative Trinity test report.
LA-3719 Health Physics Survey of Trinity Site.

Date: May 09, 2009 03:27AM

Back on topic,

What places specifically in California would be good to live. I'd rather not live in a huge city, but not some obscure small town either.

If I move I would be going alone, so looking to find employment and like minded people into conscious living/raw foods.

Thx

Date: May 09, 2009 08:55AM

Hey Narz,

I'm glad I am not a professional judge ( what a pain that would be). Since I didn't get both sides of the story, it is kind of impossible for me to form an unbiased opinion. I'm not trying to negate your experience. I am just being honest in that, as a rule, I don't make snap judgements without getting the whole story ( which I won't do in this case since it is your personal business). However I will say this. In the future, it may be a good idea esp. when either work or property is involved to :

1) have a contract written out and signed by both parties
2) if necessary, have a notary present
3) this way, you have some sort of recourse
4) if you wish to go a step further, you might think of actually video taping a contract verbally (both parties present) and that could also be compelling

Doing this takes courage and it may be awkward but it could save a lot of trouble. If the other party is honest and has integrity, they will understand the reason(s) for doing this and respect it. If someone cannot do this for me, then I am reticent to do business with them. If a person is confident that they can deliver their promise and has full intent to do so, there is no reason why a contract cannot be drawn up. Of course ,SOMEBODY has to take the initiative to do it. I always let that person be me. At least, then I have something to go by. You can also both decide to modify this as you go along. This may seem to be a bit fancy schmancy but one's time and energy is not something to waste and it has value.

Date: May 09, 2009 02:56PM

Back on topic? surfinbird the topic was best places to live. and New mexico came up.
it was not off topic to talk of the why nots for New Mexico
back on topic sounds select.

Date: May 09, 2009 05:08PM

hehe, I don't know, I didn't read the post, I just saw a bunch of information about nuclear testing in New Mexico tongue sticking out smiley

Date: May 09, 2009 08:18PM

Surfinbird Pakdfun asked for links on this test I got carried away and posted some of them,I get worked up on this subject, somtimes too worked up peace rhb
not meaning tochange your tread. peace

Date: May 09, 2009 11:51PM

No worries, I wasn't criticizing and didn't read the posts anyways. They just seemed off topic which was why I made the statement I made smiling smiley

Date: May 10, 2009 12:36AM

SurfinBird Wrote:
> Back on topic,
>
> What places specifically in California would be
> good to live. I'd rather not live in a huge city,
> but not some obscure small town either.
>
> If I move I would be going alone, so looking to
> find employment and like minded people into
> conscious living/raw foods.
>
> Thx

You could try Santa Cruz.

Hey Narz,

I'm glad I am not a professional judge ( what a pain that would be). Since I didn't get both sides of the story, it is kind of impossible for me to form an unbiased opinion. I'm not trying to negate your experience. I am just being honest in that, as a rule, I don't make snap judgements without getting the whole story ( which I won't do in this case since it is your personal business).
I'm not asking you to judge. I'm just telling you what happened to me. No part is untrue & while they may have "their side of the story" it is likely dishonest. I'm not one to slander people I've met, I just find their activities particular reprehensible.

However I will say this. In the future, it may be a good idea esp. when either work or property is involved to :

1) have a contract written out and signed by both parties
2) if necessary, have a notary present
3) this way, you have some sort of recourse
4) if you wish to go a step further, you might think of actually video taping a contract verbally (both parties present) and that could also be compelling

Doing this takes courage and it may be awkward but it could save a lot of trouble. If the other party is honest and has integrity, they will understand the reason(s) for doing this and respect it. If someone cannot do this for me, then I am reticent to do business with them. If a person is confident that they can deliver their promise and has full intent to do so, there is no reason why a contract cannot be drawn up. Of course ,SOMEBODY has to take the initiative to do it. I always let that person be me. At least, then I have something to go by. You can also both decide to modify this as you go along. This may seem to be a bit fancy schmancy but one's time and energy is not something to waste and it has value.
Well stated yes. If everyone insisted on steps like this hucksters would be out of business.

Date: May 10, 2009 11:06PM

Good advice, LaV.

Thanks for all the information Bill.
Scary stuff. Infuriating also.

I hope you find a good place to live SurfinBird.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables