Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Found Out Who My Dad Is!
Posted by: kwan ()
Date: September 20, 2009 11:58PM

Wow! I found a close relative of my birth-father today! (I'm adopted.) I've been searching for information about my dad for years with only a name on a birth certificate. I've was under the false impression for many years that his name on my birth certificate might have just been a made-up name. But talking to his grandson, who knew my birth name (Bev) without my telling him, it's obvious his grandson knows about me and he really is my dad. Bingo! Cosmic jackpot! I found his grandson on Facebook and he wrote right back and offered to answer any questions I have. I wrote him several questions about my dad this afternoon, and I can't wait to read his reply. So far I already know 2 new things: he's really my dad, and he died in 1989. Now hopefully I'll finally know what my nationality is on my dad's side, and many other fun facts. How cool is that?!?!!

It's like opening a big door that's been locked all my life. At any age, this would be a thrill, but at 60, it's just really cool!

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Found Out Who My Dad Is!
Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: September 21, 2009 12:53AM

That is really fantastic!
smiling smiley

Vinny

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 21, 2009 01:50AM

I am so happy for you, I can feel your excitement from here! This is wonderful news and so timely as we're entering this season of transformation and harvest. You have the whole winter to reflect on this newfound aspect of yourself and use it to add to the Who you know yourself to be. What a gift. Congratulations Sharrhan.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 21, 2009 12:31PM

kwan,

That's so wonderful--what an adventure you are embarking on! Happy journey : )

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: September 21, 2009 03:10PM

that is very cool smiling smiley I knew my dad for a short time as a child but know nothing about that side of the family at all , its been a huge road blck trying to get any information .. i prettty much gave up .

glad you are getting somewhere with it ! smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: September 21, 2009 11:17PM

I used to watch John Edward, the psychic/medium, on TV a lot before I started to feel uncomfortable with all the crying, emotions and personal info that people would share. And from what I've learned from watching his show and other psychic show is that your Dad is still with you in spirit and he is probably nudging you and guiding you to find out the info that he wants you to know about him.

I hope you find a lot of friends in your new family!

Date: September 22, 2009 04:06PM

So last night I was on the phone for about an hour with my newfound cousin-- who turns out to be a wonderful, incredibly engaging and thoughtful individual whom I immediately felt like I had known and appreciated for years-- and I now have a wealth of funny, insightful and delightful anaecdotes as well as factual information about my dad. Turns out I chose a life partner whom I am told is almost the spitting image of my dad: both were 6'1", both blond & blue eyed, both extremely athletic, and they share freakily similar personality traits and talents.

So now I finally know for sure that on my dad's side my genetics are Eastern European. YES!!

Most gratifying for me was to find out that my dad was extremely intelligent and a very warm and caring individual for whom life was a metaphysical adventure. He graduated from college with a degree in philosophy!-- that just blows me away. But he worked in construction and was at one time offered a football career with a major team, and turned that down too. And of course, he was a musician, to boot. And I love that he was considered a bit impractical-- haha! Fits perfectly.

Couldn't be happier. The attic-full of imagnations in my psyche about my background is now a sunlit room filled with gorgeous positive images.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: September 23, 2009 04:46AM

How wonderful! You just never know about the next turn in life..no matter the age.

I have a son age 26 who said recently he doesn't remember his dad, since he left when he was about 8 years old. I didn't think about that since I knew him so well and my older son remembers him as he's 8 years older than his brother. So, that made me think..I shared some things about him, and now I'm sure to add in those good times about his dad, that he had, we both had, we all three had.

It's sad, but his dad passed away at age 40 so he'll only have what other's tell him, but at least there is that.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 28, 2009 04:16PM

congrats! smiling smiley

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: September 30, 2009 05:06PM

hey kwan

<<Turns out I chose a life partner whom I am told is almost the spitting image of my dad: both were 6'1", both blond & blue eyed, both extremely athletic, and they share freakily similar personality traits and talents.>>

that's interesting. does that mean that people still "remember" in their psyche who their parents are? I mean.. that is a lot of "coincidences". Do you think it is just a coincidence? It seems like you inherited the artist's spirit from him. Coolsmiling smiley

Date: September 30, 2009 10:08PM

Thanks everybody.

LaVeronique-- Yes!, it's unbelievably freakin' fantastic, and I love all the coincidences and parallels, whatever they mean. I do have a sneaking suspicion we have some sort of memory stored in our DNA about our parents, even if we were taken from them.

It's so interesting, too, now that I have a clearer racial identity. Before I learned this information, I was happy with 'the mystery'-- I could (and did!) invent myself and imagine that I had American Indian blood, Italian blood, Latino blood, and a host of other possibilities, and I loved them all. But now that I know that my ancestors on that side were Czechoslavakian, I'm thrilled to finally know, and 'I'm not really changed in the least. It's just great to know, and really cool to have such a nice new extended family in Pennsylvania now.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: October 01, 2009 08:52PM

hi kwan

i knew this czech dude who taught me a few words in his language

but now all i remember is "Ahoy" which means hello LOLsmiling smiley

fascinating ... about memory being stored in the DNA

i have no doubt

Date: October 01, 2009 11:37PM

My newfound cousin tells me one of my biological dad's favorite exclamations was 'Carpuchka Russe!'-- which loosely translated was an affirmation of the fact that he was proud to be a Russian who grew up in the Carpathian mountain range. Mind you, this was during the McCarthy era, when Eastern European immigrants were given a suspicious and cold reception in the U.S., and were generally trying to lie rather low and keep a low profile, that he was boldly announcing his ancestry on a regular basis in social gatherings. I got a kick out of hearing this. Now I know where I got some of my obstinance from.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: October 02, 2009 01:05PM

kwan,

It seems from your description that your dad wasn't Russian(there are no Russians in Carpathia), but Russyn, or Ruthenian(in English). This is what the Ukrainians from the West side, as opposed to the Ukraine side, of the Carpathian mountains called themselves to distinguish their people from Slovaks. The first Ukrainian immigrants to the Eastern U.S. were self-identified "Russyny," which was mistranslated at Ellis Island as "Russian." You are in good company creatively, if my hypothesis is correct--the most famous American Ruthenian was Andy Warhol!

Date: October 02, 2009 02:10PM

Tamukha--
You're absolutely right that he wasn't really Russian, but my cousin says 'depending on what he was drinking, he would either say he was Czechoslavakian or Russian.' Either something was lost in the translation and he was actually referring to being 'Russyn,' or he was a little provocative/confrontational and wanted people to think he was Russian.

I'm told he was born in Yugloslavia, but in the census records his family's origin is listed as Czechoslavakia.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: October 02, 2009 09:18PM

i don't know a lot about Czechoslovakia
in fact, i know close to nothing
i must travel more

Posted by: musicbebe ()
Date: October 07, 2009 01:07AM

Congrats! How exciting to find out what you did!

You're 60??? Wow, you look great!

"I do have a sneaking suspicion we have some sort of memory stored in our DNA about our parents, even if we were taken from them." I have heard this too. It's like all the cases where people get organ transplants and start to take on characteristics of the person they got the organ from. There may be some sort of cellular memory in these used organs, and perhaps also from the sperm and egg cell from our parents--maybe explaining "past lives." Maybe it's far-fetched, but who knows!

Date: October 07, 2009 01:46PM

I totally believe that there are subtle traits stored in genetic memory: consider those stories of people who gesticulate like a parent they never knew--how can that be a "learned" behavior? This is such a significant experience for you, kwan; relish every discovery!

Date: October 07, 2009 04:32PM

Update: Turns out my ethnic background is Yugoslavian, not Czechoslovakian, because my biological dad was born in Yugoslavia. He family only moved to Czechoslovakia a little later. No wonder I've always liked Balkan singing. :-)

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: October 07, 2009 11:01PM

Hmmmm... rethinking my update. What if my parents were Czechoslavikian but happened to give birth to my dad in Yugoslavia? Then I'd still be Czechoslavakian. For some reason he referred to himself as Czechoslavakian. Not losing any sleep over it! ;-p Either way, it's Eastern European, and that's good enough for me.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: October 08, 2009 09:50AM

Hi Kwan

I love all the beautiful earrings and jewelries that u made. i checked our your site and it is really cool. I think purple and lavender always makes me feel really radiant when I wear them. I have a favorite purple sweater that ... whenever i wear... makes me feel like I am in sync with my energy.

i think i will experiment with purple lavender jewelry too.

i think gold and lavender look good together

Date: October 08, 2009 02:18PM

Thanks, LaVeronique! ;-)
Gold and purple are extremely complementary colors; gold is sort of the polar opposite of purple in color theory, so you are right on target.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Arrow ()
Date: October 10, 2009 10:14PM

Guess what Kwan,

I'm adopted too, and so I can relate to your excitement. I had always tanned skin, dark eyes, quick temper, musical..so fantasised I was of 'mediteranean' origin. My parents both very British, mid brown hair, blue eyes, green eyes. We had an italian neighbour who I used to think about years after she died, she used to come to my mums house, talk nineteen to the dozen and smoke and reflect and something in her quicksilver approach and reminded me of myself. Low and behold, of course, when I contacted my natural mother in my early thirties I found she'd had an affair with an italian american, hence my colouring. Unfortunately my natural mother didn't want to progress our relationship beyond a few letters, so I never have had the opportunity to follow up my origins. But so happy to learn of my ancestry. :-) Congratulations, I am happy for you, I know what it's like..I don't suppose you ever read the Primal Wound did you? I really related to it.

Arrow xxx

Date: October 12, 2009 10:32PM

Hi Arrow,
Thank you for the kind words and also for sharing your adoption story. I can SO relate to how you wondered about your background and noticed the differences between yourself and your adoptive family. I look quite a bit like my adoptive father, but I'm fair skinned and my adoptive mother has olive skin, and I always wondered what my background was. It was exciting to find out about my birthmother, and even more exciting, for some reason, to find out about my biological dad.

I think I may have read the Primal Wound. Is it by Alice Miller? I will look on Amazon.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables