Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Incredible sustainable architecture
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 27, 2009 01:47PM

[www.youtube.com]

still working on that tribal community for us guys, what do you think of this? I could live there...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Incredible sustainable architecture
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 27, 2009 04:30PM

coco,

This is a great concept, asterisk. It is odd that they are trying this in New Mexico; the location of the site ensures it will be a struggle to maintain energy independence. An arid climate is a bear to survive and prosper in. The Native peoples that lived there historically led very hard lives, frequently plagued by drought, famine, intertribal warfare, and, well, plague. I think the living conditions of the endemic culture must be examined more carefully before such projects are located, especially if they're undertaken as cultural projects, as this one is. People aren't supposed to live comfortably in the desert.

I myself have never wanted to live on Tatooni : ) So, I intend to install a geothermal heating and cooling system in the future, and hopefully a fuel cell cogenerator, which could be modified to supply a water cachement system. I would attach these upgrades to my existing house, which obviates the building of a new house, however earth-friendly the materials; kudos to them for using old tires and adobe engineering. As a kid, I delighted in seeing and hearing of things like the Earthship projects. As a former architecture major, I delight in seeing and hearing of existing buildings and areas of concentrated human habitation being remade in more ecologically responsible ways. Remember, it's reduce-REUSE-recycle.

Thanks for posting!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 27, 2009 09:12PM

My friend says that's about the Garbage Warrior movie dude.
[www.garbagewarrior.com]
I think I have that movie downloaded somewhere... will have to find it and watch it. Perhaps they go into more detail about why they chose that locale for the earthship project. I'd like to see it done in North America. They are using the water 4 times though, that would make each drop go a long, long way.
[www.earthship.net]
I did read on the website something about building where there isn't a township and the attached rules around construction, what did they call that? Can't seem to remember but suppose it makes a big difference in overall costs when you can build without permits, etc. Maybe that's why the choose the desert?
Anyhow, I'd near sign up for residence on Tatooni if it meant living in a house like that. The garden inside was a veritable jungle, totally gorgeous and lush.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 27, 2009 10:28PM

Yeah, the part I really liked was about growing bananas year-round in what seemed to be a mini tropical botanical conservatory. It would be cool, that. But I still couldn't live anywhere without trees. Indoor tropical botanical conservatory or no, that landscape looked barren. And as for Garbage Warrior(which I'll probably buy), why must all the progressive people look so kooky? Why? He looks like Richard Harris at half-baked. I'm sure he's a lovely person. Or else, crochety in that Dennis Hoppery way. Oh, never mind . . .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2009 10:33PM by Tamukha.

Posted by: RaeVynn ()
Date: October 02, 2009 03:08PM

Doing a Google search for communities shows that you can find one just about anywhere you'd want to live!
Me, I'd prefer Oregon - decent climate for growing food year-round, fruit, trees, not too onerous regulatory system, etc. I'd also love to move to Ecuador, which has 12 hours of sunlight each day, year round, lovely weather, lush tropical fruit all year round! smiling smiley

Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much
We are all in this together!
Namasté

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables