Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Adding a "Spirituality and Raw Foods" SUPPORT forum?
Posted by: Omega ()
Date: January 24, 2010 04:28AM

As spirituality is an important component of a raw foods lifestyle for many raw foodists, I was thinking that perhaps it might be beneficial to this community to add a "Spirituality and Raw Foods" support forum, which would be designed for spiritual SUPPORT, not debate (just as all these forums are designed for raw foods SUPPORT, and not debate).

Many raw food healing centers incorporate spirituality into their programs, as they recognize it as an integral part of total healing. Thus, I believe that such a forum would be relevant and of great benefit here.

If you think that it would be a good idea to add a spirituality SUPPORT forum, please post in this thread with your thoughts and perhaps Bryan might be kind enough to make this happen.

Blessings,

Omega

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Adding a "Spirituality and Raw Foods" SUPPORT forum?
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: January 24, 2010 07:59AM

I wonder if it would remain about spiriruality though .... there tends to be religious quotes dotted about the place.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: January 24, 2010 03:23PM

I am all for it.
I think a totally pure diet is a natural extension to ones spirit.
I mean,what else would be? Or could be?

So,by "forum" you mean a whole new grouping of threads devoted to the topic?
And not just one thread like has been posted before?

Vin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2010 03:24PM by eaglefly.

Posted by: Raw Seeker ()
Date: January 24, 2010 10:29PM

Spirituality from whose point of view? A christian's???

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: January 25, 2010 01:27AM

Raw Seeker: How about any spiritual belief system that resonates for each of us? I was raised a Christian and although I am more into Eastern philosophy these days, I don't have an aversion to Christianity. I grew up in a liberal Christian church that didn't pound it into our heads that we were all evil sinners. They were very into serving others and so I am thankful that I was born into that, rather than a belief system that shames and threatens. However, I still attend a Christian sect in the form of Unity, which is kind of like Christian Science and they have a mystical bent. I think many people have had their upper chakras abused through organized religion, but I wish they would still keep an open mind about it because it's not always bad! Yes, even the Bible has mystical passages!

Posted by: teloking ()
Date: January 25, 2010 02:30AM

I too am wondering which point of view. Once you bring different points of view into the mix it automatically becomes a debate.

Then again, isn't that what most of the threads are? Someone makes a point or asks a question and others comment on it.

The object is to make it a helpful, positive yet friendly debate. I believe that's where Bryan comes in! hahaha

I would love to see a support forum on spirituality. I feel I have learned much about a different take on it than from a Christian Point of view, however, I feel like I still have much to learn.

Wheatgrass-it does this body good!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 25, 2010 07:20PM

I think every poster should have their own separate subforum & only be allowed to post there. That way we don't have to worry about disagreement or debate. Perhaps Bryan can ban certain words like "nu-uh", "wrong", "incorrect", "atheist" and "cheese". One thing's for sure, Jesus sure wouldn't want anyone arguing with or contradicting the powers that be!

BTW, any voodoo practitioners here?

Posted by: Raw Seeker ()
Date: January 25, 2010 11:46PM

Good idea CB!

For those who want a spritual forum go start one for yourself in "Raw Diary". That way you won't get any dissenting views.

Posted by: teloking ()
Date: January 26, 2010 12:16AM

geeze, same old tony, hahaha

Date: January 26, 2010 01:51PM

flipperjan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wonder if it would remain about spiriruality
> though .... there tends to be religious quotes
> dotted about the place.

Spirituality encompasses religion (but not only religion).

eaglefly Wrote:
> I am all for it.
> I think a totally pure diet is a natural extension
> to ones spirit.
> I mean,what else would be? Or could be?

I totally agree eaglefly.

> So,by "forum" you mean a whole new grouping of
> threads devoted to the topic?
> And not just one thread like has been posted
> before?
>
> Vin

Yes, my suggestion is an entirely new forum where people could discuss spiritual matters of any and all kinds, without challenge from those who are anti-spirit.

It would be analogous to the discussion of raw vegan foods on these forums, where challenge by pro-meat and pro-cooked food points of view is not allowed; this allows raw vegans to actually SUPPORT each other here.

Raw Seeker Wrote:
> Spirituality from whose point of view? A
> christian's???

The idea of the forum would be to discuss and support the spiritual from any point of view, whether religious or non-religious. Basically, it would be a place of support for anyone on the raw food path who believes in a higher power.

Date: January 26, 2010 03:59PM

I would be for it. Especially if it kept the rest of the forum 100% secular. smiling smiley

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: January 27, 2010 01:26AM

Ditto.

My favorite raw vegan

Date: January 27, 2010 04:06AM

I notice my diet has a direct effect on my ability to contact my spiritual center,so I would be all for this forum.
The more I deviate from raw,the less I feel in tune with my inner peace and knowingness.
And vice versa.
I mean heck,I have turned my body into a laboratory with all of this and those are my findings.
Actual real life experiments.

Vinny

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2010 04:08AM by eaglefly.

Date: January 27, 2010 07:12PM

Date: January 27, 2010 11:26PM

Not sure what that voodoo doll is all about.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: January 28, 2010 01:28AM

i would be all for it if everyone involved would be openminded about it , but already in the other thread about confusion between religion and spirituality there is already some comments from people calling other ideas *absurd* so i cant see how such a forum could possibly operate without decending into contentious debate and argueing

unfortunately smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: January 28, 2010 08:42AM

Hi jgunn,

I think you're referring to me.

I wrote that in response to all the negative attacks on pro-God posters in the "God is the all-time greatest nutritionist" thread. It was NOT written to debate others who believe in a higher power.

If there were a Spirituality and Raw Foods SUPPORT forum, there would be no negative attacks on pro-God posters, and we could discuss spirituality in the context of raw veganism openly and freely – without the constant barrage of attacks from the anti-spirit forces here.

Date: January 28, 2010 09:16AM

Hi jgunn,

Just to make it clear:

You are using a back and forth between pro-God and anti-God sides as representative of the possible debate on a spiritual forum – however there would be no anti-God side on such a forum (it would be support only).

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: January 29, 2010 05:31AM

sure I understand all that I just dont think it would be as peaceful and harmonious as everyone would like it to be ..

call me jaded i guess lol

i still think its a great idea smiling smiley

currently i discuss my spirituality in forums where there are like minded people and i discuss raw foods here .. sometimes i talk about raw foods over there ..sometimes i talk about buddhism over here ..

do i think it would be great to have a place to bring the 2 together? absolutely ! Do i think it would work out well and remain respectfull to ALL sides (anti-god included) .. im skeptical smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Lightform ()
Date: January 29, 2010 11:14PM

communitybuilder Wrote:
> I think every poster should have their own
> separate subforum & only be allowed to post there.
> That way we don't have to worry about
> disagreement or debate. Perhaps Bryan can ban
> certain words like "nu-uh", "wrong", "incorrect",
> "atheist" and "cheese". One thing's for sure,
> Jesus sure wouldn't want anyone arguing with or
> contradicting the powers that be!
>
> BTW, any voodoo practitioners here?

Nice1 CB, you make me smile smiling smiley. I like your no nonsense comparison around. Not to say that there is nonsense here of course winking smiley, but hearing your pragmatic voice is always good value.

Maybe it would be handy to have all the spiritual threads in one spot, I'm sure that a lot of the raw fooders are interested in things of a less materialistic mentality. I would definately keep an eye on it.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: January 30, 2010 12:25PM

hmmm

yes and also i think that semantics is just that
but regardless everything uttered or not uttered from a person's breathe is spiritual just because ...
its just intrinsic that's all
can't avoid it

like i could say
" its lovely day outside"

and that could be a spiritual of a statement as

" I don't like cheese"

both are a compass to where the spirit points to

Posted by: Lightform ()
Date: January 30, 2010 08:15PM

Well LaV
for you it could be viewed as a place to go to discuss specific concepts rather than "spirituality" smiling smiley. I do agree with your sentiment though, but for practical purposes one could accept a generalisation of spirituality to imply things pertaining to a non physical context.

Date: January 31, 2010 07:43PM

Jgunn Wrote:
> i still think its a great idea smiling smiley

Hi Jgunn,

I appreciate your support. smiling smiley

> do i think it would be great to have a place to
> bring the 2 together? absolutely ! Do i think it
> would work out well and remain respectfull to ALL
> sides (anti-god included) .. im skeptical smiling smiley

In my opinion, a spirituality support forum is analogous to and would be just as successful as the raw vegan support forums. There are many different schools and philosophies of raw veganism – Natural Hygiene, fruitarian, Ann Wigmore/Hippocrates, Halleluhah Acres, etc. ALL are different ways of expressing the raw truth, and there are probably devotees of all these different schools of thought participating on these forums. And yet there is relative peace and harmony on the raw vegan support boards. The exception is when a person comes on the forums to promote cooked or non-vegan food – that is, foods that go beyond those that the forum is designed to support. Bryan always does a great job of handling those situations, and the relative peace and harmony of discussing various kinds of raw vegan diets are once again restored.

A spirituality support board would be analogous to this. On such a forum one could discuss any of the various spiritual schools of thought, but one could not discuss non-spiritual schools of thought.

I think the raw vegan forums actually offer a kind of proof that if well-moderated, a spirituality support forum would thrive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2010 07:52PM by Omega.

Date: January 31, 2010 11:07PM

The VOODOO DOLL was for Narzipani. He did ask...

I am not into it guys. I think it's too controversial for it not to blow up in our faces (again. How many times has it happened here already?). If people want to get together and chat about it there is still a chat function on here (that is entirely unmoderated) and personal messages and emails are a great way to communicate ideas that aren't welcome on this forum. While I agree that spirituality is another aspect of good health, it's one of those subjects better left alone on a public forum about food. It's like politics, it's just hands off in my book.

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: February 01, 2010 12:35AM

Coco's response made me think. At first, I said that I thought a spirituality forum would be good. My reasoning was that I don't like seeing religious quotes and discussions sprinkled around in unexpected places. I thought a special, separate place might consolidate them so that they could be more easily avoided and people who went there would know what to expect. However, religious and spiritual views can be contentious and if discussions with opposing religious/spiritual views got heated, it could give people a wrong impression as to what we are all about here. I don't mind disagreements about are whether garlic, onions and tomatoes are good raw foods or not. Maybe it's best that we leave it at that.

My favorite raw vegan

Date: February 01, 2010 06:07PM

Trive Wrote:
> However, religious and spiritual views can be contentious
> and if discussions with opposing
> religious/spiritual views got heated, it could
> give people a wrong impression as to what we are
> all about here.

The exact same could be said about "opposing" raw vegan diets, and yet the raw vegan forums are very successful because they have SUPPORT as their core mission. Therefore, if a person's posts are not supportive of a raw vegan diet, then that person is not welcome on these forums, and the moderator makes that clear to that person. A spirituality support forum would work in the exact same way, except substitute "spirituality" for "raw vegan diet."

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2010 06:18PM by Omega.

Date: February 01, 2010 08:46PM

the diet is based on a few solid principles though. when it comes down to spirituality (which does = religion to most ppl) we're not talking about the same core beliefs with a few minor variables. i'm telling you, i've seen it get ugly on this site and it's not a pretty thing. of course, a separate area for it would be one that i just wouldn't ever look at for that very reason but disagreements there between posters would surely spill over into the rest of the threads and flavour the discussions... not to mention the spam and trollbots you invite when you talk about such a touchy topic. they won't contain themselves to just that area of the site either i'm afraid. in a perfect world everyone would be civil and supportive and not react to hot button topics like religion/spirituality with such vehemence. in a perfect world.

Date: February 02, 2010 04:50PM

Hi coco,

My idea was a forum that was not a discussion purely of spirituality/religion, but of how those things relate to one's raw food lifestyle.

There is a spirituality forum at giveittomeraw.com, however there is a RAW MEAT forum there, which makes me uncomfortable. Otherwise I would just go there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2010 04:55PM by Omega.

Date: February 02, 2010 08:45PM

ew. i see your point.

perhaps the powers that be would consider a trial period for those who are really interested. if and when the plug got pulled though people would have to accept the moderators reasons for doing so. we sacrificed the right to discuss religion on this forum when it was lumped in with the political fire war that was going on. even though we are better off for that there are still those who contend the point. i can see how a mod might not want to even give it a try based on past experience with reaction to executive decisions. you'll have to do some convincing of the powers that be.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables