Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Washing soda/Borax leaves powder residue on clothes
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: March 03, 2010 11:19PM

Trying to not use "standard" laundry detergent, and have been going with a Washing soda/Borax/Castile soap mix. There are recipes for it all over the net. Anyway, we are having an issue with the powdered Washing soda and/or Borax leaving white powder residue on the clothes.

We have tried shaking the pre-mixed detergent jugs up really good before adding to the washer, using different amounts, cold/hot water, and adding to water after the washer has completed filling.

Nothing makes a difference. Anyone use a similar washing method? Have the same problem? Ideas/suggestions?

Thanks smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Washing soda/Borax leaves powder residue on clothes
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 04, 2010 12:00AM

jk,

What sort of washer do you have, front loading or top loading? I have found that, when using a top loading machine, pre-dissolving the mixture works to prevent whitish residue. It has to be a high enough ratio of hot water to powder to dissolve almost completely and the solution must be stirred for about 20-30 seconds to get going. Bothersome, I know.

I just invested in a front loading washer, and I am pleased about how little detergent is required for squeaky clean wash. I do not pre-dissolve the powders for it, as the resulting solution would be neither solid nor liquid and I am not sure how the machine would use it, but I'm gonna get up the nerve and try it tomorrow. I do make sure the [dry]powder is as homogenous and fine as possible after I pour it into the slot. Borax especially is hygroscopic and can crystalize like the dickens if left in a humid place, so I keep the packages tightly shut.

Date: March 04, 2010 01:17AM

Top load machine.

I did some searching in the meantime & found that some folks recommend adding 1 cup of distilled white vinegar to the rinse cycle to get rid of the soap residue.

Others say to eliminate the washing soda, especially with hard water (which is what we have).

Still, other sources point to the mixture not dissolving completely in cold water, esp. below 60 degrees.

I've been wanting to purchase Soap Nuts but haven't got that far yet...

Date: March 05, 2010 01:56AM

Hey, jk,

Washing soda + hard water=insanity. That stuff tends to linger in soft water, so I can imagine it's much worse with hard water. Maybe try predissolving it in hot water and see if there's an improvement?

Ah, soap nuts/berries--I enjoyed using these when I still had a top loader. Quite expensive unless you can get a good deal somewhere, though.

Date: March 05, 2010 02:28AM

"Quite expensive unless you can get a good deal somewhere, though."

I was under the impression that they lasted a long time, so the cost equaled out over time.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 05, 2010 05:36AM

Hmm, I'm not having any problems with that recipe. Are you sure to dissolve it on the stove top when you make it? Once I tried to double the recipe to make more at a time with disasterous results for some reason. Now I just make two batches at once and fill up bunches of jugs. It's quite watery and only needs a little shake. I store it all, the dry powders included in the freezing cold, damp basement, doesn't seem to affect the final outcome much if any.

Date: April 09, 2010 04:58PM

did you figure it out, i made a new batch of soap and its working fine so far.

Date: April 09, 2010 06:37PM

Coco,

It is still a problem. We have very hard spring water, so as Tamu mentioned, I suppose that is the issue here. We shake the heck out of it before we use it, but it will still leave residue, evident on black clothing.

On another note, we just purchased a Laundry ball from Miracle 2 and a gallon of their soap which is supposed to be top notch stuff. It is a concentrated cleaner, so a little will go a long way.

Did 2 loads so far with the laundry ball, seems like it is working. The clothing has a "clean" washed smell to it, but not that "soapy" aroma...

Date: April 09, 2010 07:47PM

Wow, jk, I just went to the Miracle II website and the Laundry Balls are fascinating! I've seen something similar at the Gaiam catalog, but the reviews are mixed.

Date: April 09, 2010 08:50PM

Tamukha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow, jk, I just went to the Miracle II website and
> the Laundry Balls are fascinating! I've seen
> something similar at the Gaiam catalog, but the
> reviews are mixed.

Yeah, one of the radio shows I listing to frequently advertises it & has had the folks from the company on the broadcast from time to time. I was impressed by what I heard about the products.

You can actually drink the soap w/out it harming you - at least that is the claim. I will stick to my smoothies & juices for now, at least! grinning smiley

Their whimsical wording of the products on the website is amusing. grinning smiley

Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: April 10, 2010 04:57AM

I saw a movie called Chemercial a while ago, and found it quite interesting.

They had a home made laundry soap which is supposed to be suitable for the high efficiency as well as the old style washing machines (because it is low suds). I think I read that you are supposed to stir it up each time before you use it. If I ever get around to trying it, I will let you know what I thought.

I think this is it - supposed to work out to about $ 2.50 for 100 loads, but I have to admit, I haven't tried it yet:

Liquid Laundry Soap
approximately 100 loads
1 bar of pure soap (grated or finely chopped)
4 cups of hot water
11 litres/ 2.5 gallons of water (this is not rocket science: mix amounts that work with the container you have)
1 cup of washing soda
1 cup of borax
Dissolve the soap in the hot water.
Add to 11 litres of water and stir in remaining ingredients. It will turn to a gel-like consistency after about 24 hours. Store with a lid and use as needed.
That should give you enough laundry soap for 100 loads.
(See the bottom of this post for hints on where to find these ingredients.)

Date: April 16, 2010 08:20PM

Those are the exact same ingredients I use, just a slightly different recipe. I like it, it works with my water thankfully. It's so darn easy to make, that's the amazing thing about it. I tell people all the time but no one believes how cheap and simple it is until they actually do it themselves. It seems fantastical that you can make your own laundry soap when it's marketed like some sort of miraculous product. Funny that. ha!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables