Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

The beautiful crocus
Posted by: klandestine ()
Date: March 05, 2010 03:13PM

Poetic, no?

But alas, I would very much love to enjoy mine this year. Years past the squirrels and birds have gotten to them just as they are coming out of the ground and eaten the buds. Any ideas to keep them safe this season?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The beautiful crocus
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 05, 2010 11:09PM

Put 'em under a glass bell. You'll have to stake it with grave blanket ties bowed over the top of it. This may require thawing the surrounding earth with hot water in order to drive the ties down far enough; this must be done quickly, unless the ground is already past frost where you are and the water won't immediately freeze. Good luck : )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2010 11:10PM by Tamukha.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: March 07, 2010 06:01PM

i learned long ago that mice and rats dont like mint ,,, so a few years ago when the squirrels were digging up all my bulbs i thought hmmmm maybe the mint might work for them too so i started growing a few mint plants and drying mass quantities of the stuff and toss handfulls of it around in the bulb beds .. squirrles dont bother with them anymore so i guess they dont like mint either ..lol smiling smiley of course if you live in a wet area like i do you have to toss yer mint around often smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: March 07, 2010 06:23PM

Hmmmmm. . . . I don't know what glass bells are. I don't quite follow what you mean Tamukha. It's probably as plain as day though. LOL!

I'll try some mint, Jodi. The squirrels aren't digging up the bulbs per se, just eating the shoots and buds when they appear. I thought I saw a crocus starting to appear, but alas, I was mistaken.

But I do know that spring is upon us, as the solar lamps have shown their heads through the snow.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 07, 2010 06:28PM

You know, like a bulb cover made of glass, or they probably make them in Laxan or something these days--it lets the sun in and maintains the plant's humidity, but blocks grabby paws and mouths from getting at the new growth.

Date: March 07, 2010 06:47PM

Ah, thanks!

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: March 07, 2010 11:32PM

A glass bell covers like you are talking about is called a "cloche."

Here are some photos:
[www.englishcreekgardens.com]

My favorite raw vegan

Date: March 08, 2010 12:51PM

Holy crap! That's a lot of money to save a bunch of crocuses that cost $2.00 originally.

Well, if the mint doesn't work, I guess I can be happy with providing a yummy treat for my outside pets.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables