Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

MOLD!! AHHH!! OMG OMG OMG AHHH!!!
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 12, 2010 04:13PM

So much rain, it's been great for the strawberries but my basement's been smelling funky lately and today when I went down there to check things out I discovered that EVERYTHING has a thin layer of light green/white fuzzy mold on it!!! I hauled it all up to get it out of there and will clean it off with a bleach solution later on but I inhaled enough of it to give me some kind of Wicked headache and I'm a little concerned that my respiratory sensitivities are going to flare up and give me grief.

So my question is, what to eat, what to take, what to do? I'll take any advice you've got, I have a freakish phobia about molds.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MOLD!! AHHH!! OMG OMG OMG AHHH!!!
Posted by: Curator ()
Date: June 12, 2010 04:22PM

light green/white? thats good at least, probably not a super dangerous variety...black mold is the stuff you really have to worry about... this mold wont kill ya, and im not really sure what will help with the allergies to it, super spicy food cures anything though...lol j/k... do you own a dehumidifier? drier air my help your lungs a bit...it helped me.

Date: June 12, 2010 05:19PM

It's so freaking humid here, you wouldn't believe it. Pretty soon my books are going to start swelling I'm sure.
I've got an ancient dehumidifier down there but have to rig a way to plug it in and see if it works. I don't even want to go down there but there are still two antique chairs I've got to rescue. And my grandad's carpet, oh, that's a heart breaker.

Date: June 12, 2010 05:25PM

on the carpet, use rubbing alcohol, it should kill most mold spores, but shouldnt bleach the carpet... I used that on a couch, soaked the couch down good, it gassed off eventually and havnt had mold on that couch again...(got it off the side of the road...lol...) id suggest wearing a face mask, or at least a bandana over mouth and nose that is soaked with water, will help filter spores a bit... air circulation can reduce mold growth as well, so if you have a big box fan, that might help too...

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 12, 2010 05:56PM

Agreed with Curator. My advice, lots of green juices and plenty of sunshine. Tomorrow; it's overcast here, humidity in the 80%s and thunderstorms threaten our afternoon, so I figure it's about the same where you are : (

If you don't have a dehumidifier, at least put a large fan down there if you can, with the windows open. It's tough to get a basement as dry as a bone, but dryish is doable. And don't keep food down there or anything else you can't live without, whatever you do!

Posted by: Lightform ()
Date: June 13, 2010 02:51AM

I personally think a healthy immune system will kick the ass of any unwanted organism that makes its way into our bodies, so my thoughts would be just live healthy and don't worry about it. I know that garlic bolsters the immune system dramatically, maybe you could chow on some of that ?

Date: June 13, 2010 03:19AM

Garlicy green juice coming up... I might stick some of the weeds currently flourishing in my yard in there while I'm at it. Between the chronic insomnia, stress, endless labour of kids (I love that part but let's be real here, it's an awful lot of WORK!) and the amount of mold I breathed in, I could use a little help. My breathing is not too bad but the headache just won't go away. Plus it's uber humid here right now, it's like being trapped on the inside of a hot damp sponge which is not so good for lungs or head.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 20, 2010 12:31PM

welll...

i'll tell u what i would do

but of course, it may not apply to you

i have ZERO attachment to any single object

once it gets mold on it

esp. if the mold is such that it will give u a headache

i don't care if someone special gave me such or such

or some knick knack has deep sentimental value

my health has THE most "sentimental" REAL value for me

furniture... not worth keeping irregardless of WHO it belonged to

u can still hold people in your heart sincerely and with great depth
and let go of the objects that they gave you esp., if they have the potential of compromising your health

things like rugs, furniture etc.

esp. if they have any fibers ...

i lose appetite for any of them

if i know they have mold on it

books?

not worth it either

most of them can be replaced

Date: June 20, 2010 12:59PM

rubbing alcohol will safely divest almost anything of mold, and the spores... no reason to throw something out if it can easily be cleaned... I got an old moldy couch that was really awesome, but moldy, So I soaked it with rubbing alcohol, its been years, and no more mold, and im VERY sensitive to mold, id know if there was just some lurking beneath the surface or not... oh, and LV *poke* hehe

Date: June 20, 2010 02:53PM

Carpet in the garbage truck, I didn't cry when they loaded it in there. A big lovely rag rug that was rolled up inside it that my step mom gave me too. Well, I did feel a little bad for the guy handling it but he didn't lean down and take a whiff or anything, and he had on gloves. I am a bit sad but more relieved than anything. I'm happy to let go of objects that "own" me and require my care. The piano is the next to go, I'm even prepared to give it away if I can't sell it. I'd like to get some money for it but more than that, I'd like to have it gone.

The dehumidifier is running down there non-stop now, everything is cleared out, thrown away or donated if it was in OK shape. My house is a catastrophe of epic proportions still but I'm working on it. And I got one of those hand sprayer weed pump things from the hardware store, goggles and a ventilator from a friend's hubby and will spray bleach and water solution on the walls and floor down there soon. Just waiting for the loan of a dolly to bring up an old washing machine and then it will be ready.

Not so bad all things considered. At least we didn't get any trees in the roof, right?

Date: June 20, 2010 03:36PM

piano hmmm, how far away from me do you live again,ROFLMAO... im in northern california, right under the oregon border...

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: June 20, 2010 07:43PM

oh, coco,

It sounds like you are getting on top of the mold situation. You've had quite a job getting your house right again.

I empathize. When I had a place with a lower level bedroom in the Pacific NW, I left it unoccupied (except for my belongings) with the heat on low for a couple of months. When I returned, my clothes, shoes, papers, etc were all full of a white/grey mold. Ugh. Although I was sad to have to "throw so many things out," I was also glad to have "a reason to throw so many things out!" Actually, I like having a lighter load. I hope you're feeling that way too.

How are you managing other than the clean-up? Are you sleeping better? Are you finding ways to relieve stress? Taking care of children is a lot for anyone. Figuring out a way to rest and recharge (even if it's just an evening alone or afternoon for yourself now and then) when there are others depending on you for so much, can seem like an impossible challenge. And how about your breathing and headaches?

My favorite raw vegan

Date: June 21, 2010 04:27AM

Thank you for asking Trive, I appreciate the concern and I certainly empathize with the feeling of relief at having to get rid of things! It's a blessing in disguise for certain.
The house looks amazing right now. I had family coming today so I worked and worked and Worked until it was gorgeous. I didn't have time to bathe the kids and I before they arrived so we looked like a mess but the house? Oh my. Wonderful. I have a small bit of stuff in the back room, some in the shed and a thing or two in the basement to get rid of or sort out still but I've let go of an epic amount of "stuff" and it feels great. I have a lot of crafting supplies to make things with still but am slowly working through it all and creating some lovely things to sell so maybe this effort will reward me financially in the end, hurrah!

The kids are lovely, I really do adore them but lately I don't get to enjoy them as much as I wish I could. They are so much work and with the rest of all this other work lately any fun we could be having together has been put on hold. This will all change very soon though, with an empty house I have nothing to worry about but the worry free effort of lovely good times with them. We have some crafty projects planned and I can't tell you how terrific that makes me feel. My kids are so creative and inspiring to me!

The headaches are easing up a bit but the humidity and air pressure don't do me any good. Maybe I can see the chiropractor soon, that always helps. And the sleeping is a bit random as well but I think I might be getting a better handle on that too. It takes me a while to get into regular habits but I tackle a new one now and then. I can't sleep without flossing now when I never used to at all. Regular stretch and strength exercises are next on my list. The sun salutation I'd like to start doing with the kids along with dry brushing every morning and that will all help me sleep too, I'm sure.

How do you motivate yourself to make a regular habit of something you know you *should* do all the time but have a hard time making yourself do at all?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 21, 2010 02:13PM

coco,

I am glad that things are improving for you and that you can find enjoyment in creativity; that's essential. Hope you and your home feel perfectly all right soon : )

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: June 21, 2010 06:02PM

coco, when you discover the answer to your question: "How do you motivate yourself to make a regular habit of something you know you *should* do all the time but have a hard time making yourself do at all?" please let me in on the secret!

My favorite raw vegan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables