Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Dutch Oven Conundrum
Posted by: tropical ()
Date: August 20, 2010 05:41AM

I won a Dutch oven in a raffle. I don't need it and there was a person hurt at the same event so I thought I would sell it and give the money to her. It's about 25 pounds so I thought I would try to pawn it rather than eBay it.

I was wondering if the pawn shops would be interested in it and then I realized that they would love it because hunters would snap it up. It's a huge one so it's not what you would bake beans in, deer corpse would be a better fit.

So then I thought about turning it into a planter, but it would probably rust and I still want to get some money out of it to give to that person.

Any ideas of what to do with this thing?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dutch Oven Conundrum
Posted by: Curator ()
Date: August 20, 2010 06:21AM

dang, well ebay has a free listing thing going on right now, but chances are nobody would want to buy it cause the shipping would be insane...unless you set it for local pickup only... pawn shop wouldn't pay a fraction of what its worth, you could offer to give it to your friend and let her/him decide whether to sell it or use it or whatever? most people are more comfortable receiving items as gifts than money... and you could make it clear that your ok with her selling it...i dunno...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 20, 2010 01:38PM

tropical,

Either ebay, or maybe a flea market? They'd pay you something for it. Btw, your post made me laugh; I sort of imagined it as a series of panels in the Sunday comics: raw foodist wins Dutch oven in raffle--weirdness ensues smiling smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 20, 2010 02:50PM

Too funny!

Craig's list and kijiji have area listings so people living near you would see it, they can pick it up instead of having it shipped. The local paper is a good resource as well, often shorter ads are free or at least really cheap.

Check the price online and see if it wouldn't be worth it to list it on EBay if the selling price plus shipping would be less than buying it in a store or online. Someone will want this portable crematorium for sure...

Date: August 20, 2010 03:55PM

Tamukha that's funny, but that is kind of what this Dutch Oven has been like; Surprise! You have a big white elephant.

I guess there is no vegan way to get rid of this with profit without getting a few cents from a scrap yard. I might be able to use it as a fire pit, or as an underground safe (I would have to heavily wrap my valuables in plastic to guard against moisture). Maybe I'll come up with something :-)

Coco, so I poked around on kijiji since I'd never been there before. There are a lot of kitties, puppies and medical help wanted ads. They are getting an insane amount per hour. I saw over $50 hr for a post-operative nurse. Not having any medical background I never looked at what they make. There's huge money in medicine and that's why they spike our food with stuff that causes illness.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2010 04:06PM by tropical.

Date: August 20, 2010 09:28PM

to be fair, I do not think nurses spike anyones food, nor want anyones food spiked with toxins, it is an unbelievably hard and disgusting job, its why they make so much, and its also why there is a nurse shortage, you have to care allot to be able to be a good nurse...and that caring is part of what makes the job so hard.

BTW, your fire pit idea sounds like a pretty awesome one actually, especially cause it means you could take a fire pit with you where ever you go...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 20, 2010 09:47PM

For Sale: One portable crematorium. Enamel porcelain with steel fittings. Best offer accepted.

Yes, make them wonder/squirm uncomfortably at the ad, that's the ticket smiling smiley

tropical,

If you can sqeeze a person inside it, the ad reads thusly:

For Sale: One single person bomb shelter. Can be fitted with a lock and three months' food. Ideal for the childless in the coming Global Apocalypse. Don't be left behind. Best offer accepted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2010 09:48PM by Tamukha.

Date: August 20, 2010 09:53PM

Curator Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> to be fair, I do not think nurses spike anyones
> food, nor want anyones food spiked with toxins,

I'm pretty sure this was "They", not they as in nurses if you KWIM.

Date: August 20, 2010 10:00PM

well I thought it may not be, but it sure sounded like it was, especially since what a nurse makes per hour, if they aren't "in on it" would have nothing to do with why the medical industry poisons us on a daily basis...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: August 20, 2010 10:49PM

I was just having a conversation today actually where I was telling a friend about a time I picked another friend up at the hospital after she'd had an abortion. They nurses there wouldn't let her leave without an injection of rhogham and when I expressed my absolute outrage that they were unneccessarily injecting her with this harmful toxic waste for NO REASON the nurse just kind of shrugged with an "oh well" attitude. After a bit more discussion it became plain to me that this woman didn't even know what it was that she was so glibly sticking into the veins of her patients, she was just following orders. So although I appreciate how difficult the job is, how much work they do, etc (believe me, I know, my good friend is an ER Dr and he's always on in praise of the nurses) and while I don't think they are directly responsible for being "in on it" as you say, they certainly are guilty of complicity. The whole medical establishment is rotten to the core, all the way up from the nurses to big pharma at the top, because let's face it, when it comes to "health care" in this culture that's who rules the rest of the fools.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2010 10:51PM by coco.

Date: August 20, 2010 10:59PM

that is kinda the point I was making, they aren't purposely doing anything to harm people, they are only trying to help, they aren't scientists, they don't know specifically how different meds work on the body, but they do know that most of them do what they are intended to do, and they have to give to the patient what the Doctors tell them to give, they are no more guilty of complicity than the average tax payer in our countries, the difference is they have an extremely hard job, that they come in to do every day, often doing double shifts because of the nurse shortage, and they deserve NOTHING but support... also, Your story about your friend is not even close to the norm, what you describe is legally kidnapping, and that just not go on, Ive turned down meds docs and nurses have tried to make me take be4, and they always let me leave...and yours is the first story ive ever heard about them basically holding a mentally stable person against their will...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: August 20, 2010 11:57PM

You've never been bullied by a nurse or doctor into doing something you didn't feel you wanted to do? I think that's exceptional. Not the case for me though, any time the kids or I have anything going on it's all pills and prescriptions and when you say "Hey, wait a minute..." or have a question you get the third degree and the craziest threads of dire circumstances and death imaginable. Having a baby was ridiculous for me, I was Harassed beyond belief. And choosing not to vax the kids? OMG, thank goodness I am as educated as I am about my rights because believe you me, they tell you you don't have any and if you don't happen to know any better, you don't really have a choice.

Date: August 21, 2010 12:27AM

harrassed by people who believe they are trying to get you to do whats best for you (even if they are wrong) is far different from forcing somebody to do something... I guess its another subject we shall have to disagree on, Although I agree that they probably do do much of what you say, the ENTIRE point is that they DON'T do it to purposely cause harm to people and increase the profits of the pharmaceutical industry, they think they are HELPING, and in many cases they are, and in many they may not be, but they are doing the best they can to help people...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: August 21, 2010 12:41AM

Agreed in part. The medical professional who called in children's aid on me despite my obviously being more than slightly familiar with the details of pregnancy and childbirth and obviously competent did so because she felt threatened and thwarted by my refusal to obey her, not because she thought my children or I were at risk. And not because she wanted to do something for my own benefit either. At first she said everything was great, fine, everybody healthy (thanks, just sign the paperwork so I can get my kid's ID already, that's all I'm here for! Not that I said that out loud winking smiley) but when I said no to eye drops, injections and the like for my newborn WITH valid, well researched reasons, she changed her tune. All of a sudden we were in some danger of serious harm and/or death. No, really, it was a circus. She tried to use every threatening, fear inducing, manipulative tool she could to strong arm me into doing what she wanted me to do despite my WELL argued stance with my mother backing me up. She was mad, plain and simple, she was threatened, she was aggressive and she was WRONG, which I highly suspect she knew. Her own staff came to me later to apologize. And the children's aid workers thought we were an utter waste of her time too.

That's just one of my encounters with medical staff, there are many more. I don't try to be a b!tch about it with them either, I am just firm about what I will accept and what I won't and they DON'T like it!

So you'll have to excuse me for not seeing eye to eye with you on this one either. My own experience has given me an entirely different view point on this one.

We really need out own sparring ring I think winking smiley.

Date: August 21, 2010 12:50AM

sounds like she was on a power trip, no occupation is devoid of at least a few people who will occasionally do that, some those types are more common in, id have to say nursing is probably not one of those professions though...

Coco, its called marriage...j/k,lol.

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: August 21, 2010 01:02AM

Ah yes, so this is why I'm single winking smiley. Right, I remember now. Long time since I lived with a fella...

Date: August 21, 2010 01:20AM

hahahahahahaaaaa, actually, its partly why I believe separate bedrooms, with lots of sleepovers can be really beneficial to relationships, gives each person a place thats just for them, it seems to to actually reduce allot of the little random silly arguments that allot of couples seem to get into, therefor making it easier to work on the bigger issues...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: August 21, 2010 01:41AM

No, no not the hospital food. I meant the food additives that make us sick, the fluoride in the water, the hydrogenated oils that give us heart attacks and even the drugs that have bad side effects. I'm sure the nurses are NOT trying to make us sick.

I have great respect for nurses especially seeing how some patients boss them around and think that they are kings and queens for a day just because they are in a hospital. I don't know if I would want to be in that position and have to handle other people's blood and problems and have to type out everything they do.

Date: August 21, 2010 02:00AM

I tried to have a go at it once... I lost ALLOT of weight, what with the puking at least 6-10 times a day, I have the heart for the job, but not the stomach... Im thinking of attempting it again though...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables