Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Starting school again!
Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: August 30, 2010 08:01PM

I can't believe it, I'm starting school again. Registration is tomarrow, but I could also do it the next two days. I am just realizing that I'm not as ready as I thought I was. I feel like I need to take a refresher course on going back to school. How did I ever do it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Starting school again!
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 30, 2010 09:25PM

You'll be fine; I'm thinking of doing this myself and the thought is energizing. What are you studying?

Date: September 02, 2010 04:45PM

Hi Tamukha,
I will be studying radiology. This term I start with prerequisites, which will be intense from the start, anatomy, and medical terminology. I had some anxiety attacks just after getting registered, and earlier today. But I feel better now. I just thought of tranforming these to excitement, fun, and energy etc... I remembered how intense classes can be more interesting. Next term will be more prerequisites, and then the hobet test. After that I can start taking actual radiology classes, provided I am accepted into the program. I am sure that will happen.

I am making a to do list, as I have a lot of things to do in the next few hours and days, and more in the up coming months. I forgot how essential planning is, making lists, follow through etc...

I hate dealing with bureaucracies, forms, worrying about payments, but they are necessary hoops to jump through to achieve the final goal.

Date: September 02, 2010 06:20PM

Mislu, or Doctor Mislu, I should say,

Wow, intensive! I know what you mean about hating bureaucracies, but when they work efficiently they are hardly noticeable--hope that's your experience. If you believe that you'll do well, and it seems you do given how confident your post sounds, you'll do well. I am so excited for you! May the best of everything come to you in your studies smiling smiley

Posted by: Nubster ()
Date: September 04, 2010 06:42AM

I am back in school too. Started my fourth semester last week. I am 34 years old so it was quite a shock to the system going back after being out of school for 15 years. Well a little less...I finished high school in 1994 and went to culinary school in 1997...but it has still been a long time. So far everything is going well...I have about 2 years left. I am studying respiratory therapy.

Date: September 04, 2010 02:20PM

Nubster,

My last degree was also in culinary arts and I also am thinking now of getting into the health field(I was premed briefly in my early 20's). I guess it's a natural progression. Good luck to you, too!

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: September 04, 2010 02:51PM

oh wow mislu, ive been considering radiology! good job market, pretty good pay, and allot less time in school than the degree id need to progress within my current profession... RN is another career im considering going back to school for as well, there is actually a 2 year program now instead of 4, allot of work, but only 2 years now...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: September 06, 2010 05:43PM

Thank you everyone for your support! I decided that I would make it a special treat to make one post a week, after I have done all homework, assignments etc... It will give me something to look forward to. My partner suggested that I actually watch one movie a week,also mandatory. (after everything is done, and going well etc...) I just tend to overstudy, and perhaps worry. The thought is that relaxing a bit will actually help with study, so I don't feel overwhelmed.

The garden is going to be set aside for the most part these next few months, except for maybe some raking of leaves etc... I was thinking of broadcasting some overwintering stuff, and that is about it. Its pretty weird how even while studying, so many essentials still need to get done. I will still need to do household chores, grocery shopping etc...I kind of wish I could forget about those for awhile, but its part of living where I am living.

Date: September 06, 2010 05:47PM

Nubster, respiratory therapy sounds intense. I feel like I will need a consultation after seeing my first tuition bill!

Curator, I understand nursing is in high demand, but in some places hospitals and clinics have been cutting back. Apparently with the poor economy people have been loosing health benefits, so hospitals and clinics have been getting visited less. Thats what I have heard. But overall, nursing will always be needed, thats my opinion.

Posted by: swimmer ()
Date: September 06, 2010 08:53PM

Good luck in school guys, I'm sure you'll do great. The health field has to be good to get into, even with a lagging economy. Seem like there will always be work somewhere. I admire you folks for going back to school and getting into a career that helps people.

Now that my shoulder surgery and rehab are done, I have to choose another career. I briefly thought about radiology too, seems a good fit to my photo experience. But I need to be creative in my work in order to be happy at it. So I'm taking some online classes, and dong a home study thing to learn computer modeling, animation and vfx. The workers comp retraining program is a joke, so I'm pretty much on my own, but there are a lot of tutorials available.

Tamukha, culinary arts, cool. I know you're a multiple subject grad, but I thought you were all traditional academia. How many degrees do you have anyway?

Posted by: Nubster ()
Date: September 07, 2010 04:57AM

Mislu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nubster, respiratory therapy sounds intense. I
> feel like I will need a consultation after seeing
> my first tuition bill!
>
> Curator, I understand nursing is in high demand,
> but in some places hospitals and clinics have been
> cutting back. Apparently with the poor economy
> people have been loosing health benefits, so
> hospitals and clinics have been getting visited
> less. Thats what I have heard. But overall,
> nursing will always be needed, thats my opinion.

So far I am just finishing up the prereqs. Not too bad so far. The actual program should be a lot of fun.

I started out pre-nursing actually. Bad thing is...programs are so hard to get into because they are so competitive and in fact, in my area nurses even though critically low in numbers are being laid off. So are radiologist. Respiratory therapists are still being hired however. Thats now...who knows what will happen in the next 2 years I am still in school.

Posted by: cyclopsicle ()
Date: September 07, 2010 04:47PM

I'm a third year biochemistry major at a public university. Through veganism and now raw foods (and all of the information I've learned in my own personal research because of these two diets) I've decided I want to persue nutrition in graduate school. (While everyone else tries to "find cures" for completely curable or diet managable disorders and diseases)

Date: September 07, 2010 06:48PM

Swimmer,

Thanks! I lose count. I have a couple of Associates degrees, a Bachelor of Arts, a culinary certificate, a Montessori teaching certificate, and a few years as a Spanish/German double major, journalism major, premed student, and architecture student(not concurrently, of course).

Jill of all trades--Mistress of none, me![groan]

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: September 08, 2010 09:30PM

the world truly belongs to the Jills of all trades ( jacks too smiling smiley
they are the masters of the Universe

Date: September 10, 2010 06:54PM

hello everyone,
I am finding my first week of school to be very stimulating. I feel ahead of the game at the moment, I actually read two chapters before the start of one class. I actually corrected the instructor on a very important point. I wouldn't have bothered, except that I was afraid of other students learning it wrong.

I felt like I took a chance, because correcting an instructor is kind of scary, but she paused and looked at the book, and then fixed her mistake, and thanked me for that.

Date: September 10, 2010 11:07PM

pfffTTTTTTTT!!! TOOOO COOL MISLUUUUUgrinning smiley

yeee hawwwwwww!!!!!

maybe u should teach the classsmiling smiley

Date: September 11, 2010 12:10AM

Tamukha,
Awesome! Sounds like you've studied some pretty cool stuff.

I took a couple of semesters of Arch, but ended getting my first AA in mechanical drafting. I kinda play the jack of all, master of none thing too. I'm hoping to change that this time around...and get really good at vfx.

Misku,
lol Sweet! That teacher is probably going to be a whole lot more careful around you!

Actually, sometimes I think my teacher is pretty good, but most times he's complete idiot who can't teach anything.
Sometimes I think my student shows signs of genius, but mostly he's an imbecile who can't even type.
So goes the twisted realty of teaching myself!

Date: September 11, 2010 11:12AM

Take what you can and leave the rest, Swimmer!

Mislu,

Good on ya; a competent teacher appreciates students that can correct her--it means someone is really paying attention and is guaranteed to learn, and to reinforce the need for accuracy to the other students.

Date: September 11, 2010 07:56PM

lol I was really, really, getting into this:

[www.cmivfx.com]

It's a 2 part 8 hour series, and intense as hell! But I love this stuff!

Date: September 11, 2010 08:33PM

swimmer,

Oooooh, pretty treeeeee! As soon as I saw the word "fractals" in the description, I was riveted! Big fractals fan, me.

I had friends in my Graphic and Industrial design courses when I was an architecture major(those design courses tend to overlap majors), and the stuff they did in their core curriculum classes fascinated me--their instructors were always shooing me out of the lab smiling smiley

Date: September 11, 2010 10:27PM

Tamukha,

Check out page 1 of Ver's "Brain Entrainment" thread. I posted links to 2 free 3d fractal programs. Cool stuff, but Houdini Master is too intense, too much fun, and too expensive to play with anything else. There' also a link to the free version of Houdini (Apprentice) on that page.

Check them out and have fun!

Date: September 12, 2010 12:02AM

I think she was just nervous, its her first time teaching the class. After the first break she seemed better. I think that really made an impression on a lot of people in the class. Some other students started asking me questions about stuff during break. Mostly about what was required for radigraphy. I answered what I thought I knew, but really they should ask their advisor. One student swore that medical terminology WAS NOT required for nursing. I was like "hello?!!!" its totally required for anything in health care. My friend got a certificate in medical coding, and he had to have the same course as nurses, radiographers, and the like! I told my friend and he just said, what is she asleep?

Date: September 12, 2010 12:30AM

swimmer,

Started to check out those links, and then realized I'd be rubbing my fists into my eyes sometime early Sunday morning wondering why, why I embark on quests right before bedtime. So I'll check them out, gradual-like, in the next few weeks. Thanks for those links![you cannot see me, but I am looking all "Mr Toad's Wild Ride" at the prospect of fun-with-fractals!]

Date: September 12, 2010 12:38AM

lol It all seems like stuff they would want to know, required or not. I think you can almost peg that girl for a future drop out, with an attitude like that.

Glad the teach is doing better.

I'm the 80's I taught one week crash courses for a CAD program to drafters and designers. I was so nervous my first class, my hands were shaking while I was using the mouse on a computer which was hooked up to a projector screen for all to see. They were good sports about it and helped me relax.

Date: September 12, 2010 12:40AM

Tamukha,

Ha Ha, enjoy them when you can, Ms. Toad!

Date: September 12, 2010 02:10AM

I just did some major studying tonight. I feel like I pumped iron with my brain! its awsome! Its unlike any other classes I have taken. I actually enjoy really thinking hard! I don't think I did prior to these classes. I did some self tests, and I got some answers wrong, not for what I knew, but I didn't look at the questions closely enough for what they were asking.

Date: September 24, 2010 01:56PM

I had my first test for one class yesterday. I am confident that I did well, but don't really want to say the score till I got the results. On a side the instructor brought up some very outdated nutritional information in class, but I didn't want to call her on it. Something about complete protein, and plant based diets....

Date: September 25, 2010 04:43AM

hi mislu

i like the little imagery of my brain being a bunch of little animated people ( like Nabisco keebler elves) "pumping iron"... ha ha.. cute smiling smiley

Date: September 25, 2010 03:18PM

La-veronique,
It often feels sort of like that. But so far my mental work outs have payed off. I just got back my score from my first test. 102%. I didn't even know that there was a little extra on the test. So, I got everything right.

Date: December 21, 2010 03:41PM

Well, I got an A in both classes. One instructor told me that I got the highest score, not only for the class, but for all time for the class! I was supersurprised. I got a 99.6% average. I think that was because she had so many extra points available for each test. But I had no idea. I just wanted to be sure to pass the class.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables