Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Hoarding Lightbulbs
Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: November 13, 2010 09:47PM

I hope they overturn the ban on lightbulbs soon, or I'm going to have to stockpile them.

Peaceful resistance: Incandescent Light Bulb Stockpilers Defy the Ban -

[dailycaller.com]

"First of all, the more energy efficient heir apparent to incandescent bulbs, Compact Fluorescent Bulbs (CFLs), have a tendency to burst into flames. As an experiment, he said, he combined “a regular CFL bulb, and a socket, and a dimmer. I had fireworks within five minutes.”

There’s also an aesthetic component to it. “It’s the color temperature,” Smith said. “The quality of light is just nowhere near what incandescents can do.”

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hoarding Lightbulbs
Posted by: RocketShip ()
Date: November 13, 2010 11:49PM

It's all too much. I'm buying candles.

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: November 14, 2010 02:41AM

Joyce Riley, Alex Jones, George Noory has been saying this for quite a while now. I never did care for the cfl bulbs, but everything is moving in that general direction.

I have heard that the last incandescent bulb factory in the U.S. just closed down within the last month.

I suppose the led bulbs are safer, but the cost of those is outrageous.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: November 14, 2010 07:01PM

Capitalism, kiddos--supply and demand. Once enough of us take the plunge and switch to LEDs, the cost will diminish. It's Beta vs. VHS, and we all should remember what happened with that smiling smiley

Date: November 14, 2010 07:07PM

Yes, why can't we choose which lightbulbs to use instead of being forced, and let the market decide. Follow the money.

Date: November 14, 2010 11:47PM

I don't think there's that much money to be had in incandescents anymore; one must take into account the impact of technological progress, which in the last few decades has determined what products become standard anymore. The artificial support of outdated modes of energy/transportation/manufacturing is the real problem, and why costs for new products, like LEDs remain prohibitive.

Posted by: veghunter ()
Date: November 15, 2010 01:26AM

I think the market would be plenty big enough for incandescents. Although the market may have died down in the US, I would think lighting industry would still be able to take advantaged of the growing middle class in the rest of the world.

The middle class in poor countries is the fastest-growing segment of the world's population. While the total population of the planet will increase by about 1 billion people in the next 12 years, the ranks of the middle class will swell by as many as 1.8 billion.

--Foreign Policy

One point eight billion people buying just one additional light bulb each sounds like a healthy industry to me.

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: November 17, 2010 06:53AM

The soon-to-be-compulsory compact fluorescents (curly bulbs) don't save energy at all.

Old-fashioned light bulbs (incandescents) give off a fair bit of heat. So when you replace all your bulbs with the stupid curlies, you are cooling your room down. In turn, you turn up the thermostat. It's been proved and even without proof it's logical.

I am planning to soon buy a few cases of incandescents while they are still available. Enough for a couple of years. After that - I'm not worried. The economy will have collapsed completely and things will be so bad that anyone who's not a member of The Ruling Class will be living under a bridge so style of light bulb will hardly be an issue. Maybe "they" will also control what kind of garbage we burn in those big metal barrels we'll be warming our hands over.

And there ya have it, folks.

Also, consider all the inanities and cruelties that are permitted by the government. The list would be endless, at least from a traditionalist's viewpoint. Yet I can't buy a certain style of lightbulb for my own home.

Posted by: RocketShip ()
Date: November 17, 2010 07:17AM

Don't worry folks... there will be a black market demand for the regular bulbs. They will be sold in dark alleys out of car trunks and we'll spend zillions of tax dollars trying to stop light bulb trafficking.

winking smiley

Posted by: swimmer ()
Date: November 17, 2010 03:10PM

I wonder if people hoarded candles when the light bulb was first introduced...

Posted by: veghunter ()
Date: November 17, 2010 05:55PM

I am still hoarding candles. smiling smiley

Posted by: swimmer ()
Date: November 17, 2010 07:33PM

lol veg!

I suspect incandescent bulbs will be around for a while. There will always be a niche for them in various industries as heat sources, and when a particular color temperature is needed in for specialty production.

Over the last 10 years as digital photography started to get popular, and environmental laws kicked in, lots of folks were saying we wont be able to buy film or developer anymore. Now, we understand how to develop within the new laws and people learned that digital photography is a great convenience, but it sacrifices quality for time. Film has a stable place in the market. It's a niche, not as big as it once was. Digital rules the commercial market, and film, especially large format, is still tops for fine art, and true archival purposes.

A similar thing will happen with lighting. LED's will take over most of the market, but incandescent will still have it's uses.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 06, 2010 07:05PM

what is good? the curly ones are a terror if you break one (which I have, hello lead!). led's are sort of harsh and cold looking blue light unless you find a natural looking type but i can't afford to try out every brand on the market. any recommendations guys?

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: December 06, 2010 08:00PM

the trick to LED lighting Coco is the filter... one can buy much more expensive high quality LED's or just work with the cheap ones...
I love these for outside lights...
[lifehacker.com]
And I seem to have misplaced my link for some really cool indoor lighting stuff... but yeah, you can soften up LED lighting with different types of filters if you cant afford the expensive ones...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: December 08, 2010 07:52PM

let's say i did want in invest in the expensive ones, how do i choose which to buy? really, i don't mind investing if they're going to save energy and last for a long time. And oops, i meant mercury when i broke a curly bulb, not lead.

Date: December 08, 2010 09:42PM

THAT is hard, since its such a new market, the only way I can think of to be sure is to do EXTENSIVE research on every brand your interested in, when I have some more time I will try to remember to look into it too and see what I can find, Ive seen some nice ones, but I cant say I remember the brands at all... Ive only ever used cheapo's myself...straight from china, probably full of lead like everything else we get from china...lol... And I knew ya meant mercurysmiling smiley Im scared of that crap too:/...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: December 14, 2010 06:49PM

I will stockpile.
I am very light sensitive,and I am so used to the warm yellow glow of the incandescent.
I would hate that blue white flourecent temperature in my living room!!!!!!!

Vinny

Date: February 16, 2011 02:07AM

just tried one of the new fukers in my dimmer lamp

oh god.

i will stockpile as many of the GOOD OLD BULBS as I can.

Hey folks!!!!!
Look me up for future orders.

Details to follow.

Vinny In Pa

Date: February 16, 2011 02:09AM

was blue and not anything I ever wanted in my comfy living room at night.
and it made a great fire hazzard.

STOCKPILE folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I figure about 30 of each wattage will get you thru your life.

if you are mid 40's

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2011 02:11AM by eaglefly.

Date: February 16, 2011 02:12AM

Me, too. I need the heat from them in the winter, and I like the soft glow and noiselessness, and the others mess with your brainwaves. I just happened to run across this article today which I posted on the other health related forum, that the LED's aren't so great health-wise -

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2011 02:18AM by KidRaw.

Date: February 16, 2011 02:27AM

Will be ordering candle making supplies shortly, look me up for future orders! grinning smiley

Seriously, I am going to make my own GMO free cotton wick soy candles. Maybe order some moringa seed oil for a lantern too. And go to bed earlier while I'm at it.

Date: February 16, 2011 02:36AM

I've always wanted to try going to bed when it gets dark out and getting up when it gets light out, but I don't think I could sleep for 12 hours straight in the wintertime.

Date: February 16, 2011 02:04PM

KidRaw,

I think one could do it of one lived rural and one's family did it, too. You'd have to have the kind of lifestyle that conformed to spending half the day in bed in the wintertime. That's the problem usually smiling smiley

Date: February 16, 2011 02:06PM

They spent a lot of time by the fireplace in the evening, reading and sewing. Mom and dad got up in the dark and started the day by candlelight as well.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: February 21, 2011 10:47PM

Swimmer..your post cracked me upsmiling smiley

I also hate the new bulbs..and I like my nice bright Reveal light bulbs. The cf bulbs contain small amounts of mercury. This is another big business/government push of crappy products on the populace. If you break a cf bulb..don't get near it and breathe in vapors. Wear a mask and gloves and place it in a bag and dispose of it.

Love,
Prism

Date: February 21, 2011 11:33PM

Oh no, leave the room immediately, ventilate it by opening a window, get away from that mercury vapour Right Away! No wearing a mask, that's not enough. Look this up online and you'll see, the cleaning recommendations are intense.

Date: February 23, 2011 06:42PM

Here's another article I ran across that makes me think those CFL bulbs are even worse than we thought -

Energy Saving Light Bulbs ‘Could Trigger Breast Cancer’

[healthfreedoms.org]

Date: February 23, 2011 07:21PM

These glasses look interesting. Curator, you could try these and let us know how it works for your sleeping problem.

[www.lowbluelights.com]?

Date: February 23, 2011 08:13PM

hmmm, those seem interesting, maybe someday, kind of expensive, especially when Im still waiting to see if the state is gonna pay me or not to take care of my mom, if not, then I will need what little money I have left...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: February 27, 2011 11:00PM

One thing I wonder if is this ban includes the bulbs in stoves,refridgerators,and the candle bulbs for xmas lights and chandeliers?????????????????????

OR just the comfy ones we know and love from our living rooms.

F'''u'''c'''k the government

Vinny

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2011 11:01PM by eaglefly.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables