Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Hoarding Lightbulbs
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: February 28, 2011 01:10AM

I heard on the radio last night that the Hasbro Easy-Bake Oven has been redesigned & now features a heating element inside.

Previously, it used a 100 watt bulb to bake the treats...

I am fairly sure that everything incandescent will be gone. I noticed the trend in my shop a few years ago.

All of the tool suppliers started selling the LED type shop lights instead of the standard drop lights.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: February 28, 2011 01:19AM

[www.gcnlive.com]

We have G.W. to thank (among others) for this one. Of course, if he hadn't singed the bill into law, the next guy would have bowed under pressure...

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: March 05, 2011 02:59PM

I hope this bill goes through to give us back a CHOICE in what lightbulbs to use --

Bachmann Reintroduces Light Bulb Freedom of Choice Act

[1.usa.gov]

Michele Bachmann Introduces 'Lightbulb Freedom of Choice Act'

[www.startribune.com]

Date: March 05, 2011 09:45PM

Not panicking, just facing reality. The regular lightbulbs have been banned, so hopefully the ban can be lifted before it goes into effect, because we don't like the alternatives, and any government that tells its citizens what lightbulb they can use is a soft tyranny.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 06, 2011 05:04PM

KidRaw,

The regular lightbulbs have not been banned. Please see my post above.

I acquaint myself with primary evidential data before forming an opinion on anything, as I was taught to do in school[thank you, Lutheran Socratic education!]. I find it is a good way to separate wheat from chaff, so to speak.

Date: March 06, 2011 09:00PM

Tamukha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> KidRaw,
>
> The regular lightbulbs have not been banned.
> Please see my post above.
>
> I acquaint myself with primary evidential data
> before forming an opinion on anything, as I was
> taught to do in school. I find it is a good way
> to separate wheat from chaff, so to speak.

Tam,

you should be a senator - at least you read the bills, lol...

Not like our current seat warmers that passed the, what was it - 200+ page HCR bill...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2011 09:00PM by juicerkatz.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: March 06, 2011 09:15PM

Tam, what school did you go to? all of my college friends, at least the ones aware enough to notice, say their schools just try to teach people to memorize facts, not how to learn at all... I noticed the same within the little amount of official college level schooling ive attempted, I couldnt go on, it hurt my brain so bad...lol

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: March 06, 2011 09:35PM

Tamukha, you said -

"you know that it doesn't ban incandescent bulbs; it just requires them to be more efficient than standard incandescents,"

In other words, you're saying not all incandescent bulbs are 'banned', only the standard one we all use in our regular everyday life?

That's the one I'm talking about - the standard lightbulb that we normally use.

So you're saying it's (the standard regular lightbulb) is not 'banned', it's just required to meet certain standards that it doesn't have now, correct?

Date: March 06, 2011 10:20PM

maybe it could be good Kidraw, spur them to actually work on advancing the ancient technology, I dunno, I hate CFL's so if this can spur them into trying to produce a more efficient Incandescent i will be happy, as long as the bar isnt set far to high to be reasonable...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: March 06, 2011 10:47PM

OOPS!!! TYPO Alert! >

Tam,

you should be a senator - at least you read the bills, lol...

Not like our current seat warmers that passed the, what was it - 200+ page HCR bill...

supposed to be - "2000 + page HCR bill..."

Date: March 07, 2011 01:36AM

jk,

Not going into politics: don't have power issues and do more good as a private citizen!

KidRaw,

Look at the list I posted; it depends on what the bulb is applied to. As Curator suggests, this law has prompted lightbulb manufacturers to come up with incandescent technologies which comply with the new energy efficiency mandate of the EISA without entailing fluorescent technology. Sometimes the "Market" needs a shove from government.

Curator,

I'm a lot older than your generation, and from the Upper Midwest, so my educative experience at all levels was different from what your friends describe. I was a Montessori preschooler, which started me on the path to autodidactism, and went to Lutheran grade schools, where learning was interactive and intensive. Memorization of data was limited to things like evidence-based information--times tables, astronomy, that kind of thing. Junior high and high school were Catholic: more rote memorization because there was more to know, but also Socratic learning. College, both at public universities and community college, was always challenging. I had one math professor my first year who was a "theory guy" and couldn't explain anything, but all my other teachers, regardless of temperament or teaching style, were smart and diligent and made sure students used their brains. Maybe I've been very lucky.

I think the only thing worse than NCLB is this monster called Race to the Top(RTTT). When you teach for test results, you end up with morons with no critical thinking skills. This is presently the only valid argument, IMO, against federally mandated curricula or means. But it can be corrected; the solution is not to hand over decisions over curricula to likewise unconstructive thinkers. Texas is bad enough--I don't want the rest of the country to go their way.

Date: March 07, 2011 02:51AM

Im mildly envious of you,lol...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: March 07, 2011 12:34PM

"I think the only thing worse than NCLB is this monster called Race to the Top(RTTT). When you teach for test results, you end up with morons with no critical thinking skills. This is presently the only valid argument, IMO, against federally mandated curricula or means. But it can be corrected; the solution is not to hand over decisions over curricula to likewise unconstructive thinkers."

It could be corrected if we all went back to one room schoolhouses & taught reading, 'riting, & arithmetic...

Date: March 07, 2011 05:02PM

jk,

Agreed! I have been wondering if this can be re-implemented in cities like Detroit, where the school districts are in tatters because there is so much vacant land lacking a concentrated population, it's almost rural again. If 50% of the kids attending Such-and-Such Elementary have moved out to the burbs, why can't the remaining kids, of varying ages, be amassed in the three largest classrooms and team taught as one large group? Currently, no one who isn't planning to teach in the developed world, or for Montessori and Waldorf, which teach blocks of age groups rather than single age groups, is trained to do this. But it COULD be done . . .

Date: March 07, 2011 10:02PM

Here's the list that are the exceptions to the banning of the regular Standard Lightbulb that we all use in our regular standard lamps and lights --

(I) An appliance lamp.
(II) A black light lamp.
(III) A bug lamp.
(IV) A colored lamp.
(V) An infrared lamp.
(VI) A left-hand thread lamp.
(VII) A marine lamp.
(VIII) A marine signal service lamp.
(IX) A mine service lamp.
(X) A plant light lamp.
(XI) A reflector lamp.
(XII) A rough service lamp.
(XIII) A shatter-resistant lamp (including a
shatter-proof lamp and a shatter-protected lamp).
(XIV) A sign service lamp.
(XV) A silver bowl lamp.
(XVI) A showcase lamp.
(XVII) A 3-way incandescent lamp.
(XVIII) A traffic signal lamp.
(XIX) A vibration service lamp.

So I was right and the regular lightbulb which we've been discussing is banned, like I said.

And 'requiring them to be more efficient' is the same as banning them.

Date: March 08, 2011 08:14PM

Here's an article I just ran across about Race to the Top. Apparently it's not very popular with the schools --

[www.cato-at-liberty.org]

"According to internal White House memos, the President's "Race to the Top High School Commencement Challenge" -- in which schools compete for a chance to get the Prez as their graduation speaker -- had generated only 68 applications as of February 28, which was after the original application deadline of Feburary 25. (The White House has extended the deadline to March 11.)

To put that in perspective, the nation had over 24,000 public secondary schools as of the 2007-08 school year, meaning only about 0.3 percent of public high schools have expressed any serious desire to have the President send their charges off to adulthood."

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 08, 2011 10:28PM

Problem solved. [www.jetsongreen.com]

"Today Lighting Science Group unveiled a new 60-watt replacement LED bulb that “meets or exceeds all of the criteria for the L Prize,” according to CTO Fred Maxik. If you’re not familiar with the competition, in order to win, the lamp must run better than 90 watts per lumen, produce more than 900 lumens, use less than 10 watts, last more than 25,000 hours, have more than a 90 color rendering index, and have a color between 2700-3000 K.

In addition, the winning bulb must have a target consumer price of $22 for year one, $15 for year two, and $8 for year three.

The government-sponsored L Prize competition has other requirements, such as domestic manufacturing minimums and the submission of 2,000 qualifying bulbs, but you get the general idea. It’s not an easy competition.

The new bulb unveiled today is currently being produced in quantities to be tested by the Department of Energy. No retail channel has been established, but the company expects to sell the bulb for $22. LSG told Jetson Green in an email the bulb has no mercury, lead, or other toxins.

LSG already has one of the best, low-cost LED bulbs on the market. The 60-watt replacement Definity LED — 850 lumens, 13 watts, 50,000 hours, price below $30 — is available to commercial/industrial customers and set for Home Depot shelves in May 2011. Another bulb worth watching is the Cree TrueWhite LED, which is not bright enough for the L Prize, but it’s very efficient and features good color."

Date: March 08, 2011 11:58PM

Sweeeet! I will keep my eye out for the LSG!

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: March 09, 2011 12:14AM

KidRaw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here's an article I just ran across about Race to
> the Top. Apparently it's not very popular with
> the schools --
>
> [www.cato-at-liberty.org]
> -president-what-thrill/#utm_source=feedburner&utm_
> medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Cato-at-liberty+
> %28Cato+at+Liberty%29
>
> "According to internal White House memos, the
> President's "Race to the Top High School
> Commencement Challenge" -- in which schools
> compete for a chance to get the Prez as their
> graduation speaker -- had generated only 68
> applications as of February 28, which was after
> the original application deadline of Feburary 25.
> (The White House has extended the deadline to
> March 11.)
>
> To put that in perspective, the nation had over
> 24,000 public secondary schools as of the 2007-08
> school year, meaning only about 0.3 percent of
> public high schools have expressed any serious
> desire to have the President send their charges
> off to adulthood."

They covered this on CBS radio news yesterday! I think it is so funny.

68 schools out of a 24,000 want the POTUS to speak at commencement?!?!? LOL

Sending a clear message America!

Date: March 12, 2011 03:18PM

Good video on having a CHOICE in which lightbulbs to use rather than being FORCED on how to live our (regular folks) lives, while the hypocritic celebrity and political elites fly in their jets and leave their expensive gas-guzzling cars - while telling us to drive tin cans - running, and leave their millions of lights on in their huge mansions.

[scottystarnes.wordpress.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2011 03:18PM by KidRaw.

Date: March 13, 2011 02:29AM

Coming Soon to the US -

'We Will not pick up toxic new bulbs': Councils say energy-saving lights are too dangerous for binmen

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Date: March 13, 2011 02:28PM

I am so irritated that the government pushed this on us without proper instruction of how to dispose of the mess afterwards. Or does it actually tell you on the package how to dispose of the bulb or clean up it it leaks or breaks?

I don't know, I never read the package.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 13, 2011 02:40PM

When I broke a bulb (in our bedroom, right over the bed) it took me over 3 hours to track down the information on cleaning it up. The baby was in the room with me, thankfully I even knew those bulbs contain mercury (so many people don't know that, none of the people working in the 4 lighting departments I called had any idea or clean up info) and thankfully the light hadn't been on so the mercury was not a hot vapour, just dust. We ran out of there and shut the door. There was no info on the package at all, nada.
Finally I called a friend to look it up online and the clean up instructions were INSANE! I should have thrown our bed away and ripped up the carpet. Needless to say I didn't do that but I did take extreme care. What a horror.

Here is a great article by Paul Wheaton (one of my heros) who doesn't like CFL's.
[www.richsoil.com]

And here is a rebuttal that is followed by many interesting comments. Read as much as you can, there is great stuff here.
[www.permies.com]

I am not a fan of CFL's, neither am I particularly interesting in having several more coal fired nuclear plants built here in Ontario to accommodate our growing energy needs though. After what is happening in Japan I'm more than willing to use CFLs if it means a reduction in our personal energy consumption. I'm willing to go a step further and start making candles though, and I'm not kidding.

Date: March 13, 2011 09:10PM

they areprobably toxic, but I love emergency candles, they are cheap, and last forever, but I cannot really read from them... im wondering if natural gas powered lamps may be in order... like a propane lantern, but using natural gas, and the thing to refill the tank is OUTSIDE... this winter we heated the whole house on around $50 a month using natural gas, roughly. our highest was about %70... that beats the pants off of wood!

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables