Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

A royal wedding
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: November 17, 2010 02:20PM

Oh God how boring - now we will have to put up with a three ringed circus for the foreseeable. Bring on the revolution!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A royal wedding
Posted by: RocketShip ()
Date: November 17, 2010 09:09PM

Her eyes look sad.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: November 17, 2010 10:00PM

flipperjan,

I understand they are both relieved--eight years without a ring is a long time to be dating a royal. I think it's the opposite of boring, in that your entire nation is going to become a protracted frenzy for the next couple of years--royal wedding next year, then the Olympics in 2012 and the World Cup a few years afterward! Madness!!! For my part, I will say that, though I care not a whit for what's going on with the British monarchy, these are two fairly intelligent and decent living young people, and I hope they fare better than his parents did.

And just think--Elton John is bound to foist a special wedding song onto the nuptials that is sure to become a radio staple. Hope you like the song stylings of Sir Elton, flipperjan winking smiley

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: November 18, 2010 08:26AM

Tam - your post made me smile - thanks for that.

I think the problem a lot of people have is the sheer priviledge of their lives when they do nothing for it. It is going to be in the papers and all over the television ad nauseum. Many people deeply resent all that wealth and pomp being pushed down their throats at a time of real hardship for the 'common' man.

I saw an American reporter talking about it and he said that the 'American people' are over the moon about it and love nothing more than a royal wedding. I wondered if this was the case?

p.s Williams mothers biggest mistake was marrying into the royal family.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: November 18, 2010 02:57PM

flipperjan,

Eh, I have not encountered any fellow American in my daily errands who was "over the moon" about the news. I think this is the New Reporter Hyperbole--you know, make a big deal about something no one really cares about to create an artificial stir? Our country isn't doing so hot now, and yes, people like a distraction--bread and circuses, as they say--but for a reporter to suggest that Americans are really paying attention to this is ridiculous; most of us don't know who Kate Middleton is, even. And anyway, Eva Longoria just filed for divorce![squeal!!!!]

Slightly less sarcastically: I am in Detroit, and as such, get all of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation's programming for southern Ontario, staunch monarchist territory(there are reruns of "Coronation Street" on the local CBC channel weekday evenings). Their news services are being fairly matter-of-fact about this. I get the feeling that even those Canadians that revere the British Monarchy just want "the young people to be all right."

I remember watching Charles and Diana's wedding on the teevee at age 9 and thinking they didn't love each other, to look at 'em. Kids are good at reading body language, and theirs made me doubtful. I think the monarchy is a really archaic vestige of another time, and while it is probably obsolete, it's for the British people to decide what's to be done about it. I think of how generally popular, and not for reasons of nostalgia, as in England, the Spanish royals are. They have regular jobs, and go to soccer matches and local restaurants like everyone else. Maybe Will and Kate will operate more like that, once Her Highness is gone, and make the British monarchy truly modern and of the people. In the meantime, all those castles must bring in a lot of tourism revenue, no? smiling smiley

Posted by: RocketShip ()
Date: November 18, 2010 09:42PM

Americans over the moon about the engagement? No. I have not heard one single person talking about it. And all our hype magazines are focusing on the Sexiest Man award. I find it interesting because it is Diana's son, but other than that who cares, right?

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: November 19, 2010 12:50AM

I just can't visualize the Royals doing the Macarena smiling smiley

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: November 20, 2010 05:58PM

I'm an American and I'm over the moon about it. What's there not to like about it? A perfectly normal romance by two nice people who (as non-movie actors and actresses) are having the most normal, non-showbiz-like relationship that's being closely followed in the news.

The Americans are probably more over the moon than the royal "subjects" because we only get the cream of royal news, not the everyday stuff. We also don't have to finance the show, or feel inferior to them. So the royal subjects are kind of like the "backstage workers" at a show, oversaturated and bored with the show. While the Americans are the audience.

But to be fair, the same thing happens to our presidents. They can be more popular abroad than at home because abroad the people like them for their personality and at home we want a better economy, tax breaks and results.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables