Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Donate blood, yay or nay?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 06, 2011 11:49PM

That dagger business is happening here too, I am Not pleased. Sure there's a difference between a traditional decorative dagger and a real one but you have to already know there is a difference to know there is a difference.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: January 07, 2011 02:38PM

There is something I don't understand about the dagger. Its supposed to be symbolic, but as I understand it, it is still a functional knife in most cases. I recall that they are armed with it to 'defend the innocent' when necessary.

I am curious what gun advocates think of this. I am sure that will open a can of worms, but a lot of people feel it necessary to have a gun, so it seems like a knife should in theory be ok. A question of age and emotional stability could be a question in both conditions.

There is a third thing which I think nobody considers. Your mind and hands are potentionally the greatest weapon/tool you will ever have. And there is no way to check those before boarding a plane or entering a school. Actually, we hope that everyone keeps access to their brain when they enter a school, but sometimes I wonder...

Date: January 07, 2011 02:46PM

Correction, I just read an article about the sikh knife. Some think it has to be a functional knife, others think that even a small pendant worn on a chain or a locket will satisfy the requirement. So, I guess there is a difference of opinion. Sikhs believe in non-violence, and feel that the knife is only to be used to prevent violence. Seems a contradiction in some ways. Knowing that someone has a dagger makes me feel rather uncomfortable. I think I would feel kind of 'off' if my religion required me to carry one. I like the sikh prayers and meditation videos I have seen online. Helps me feel relaxed and at peace, so I am not sure how that fits into everything.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: January 07, 2011 05:48PM

I have a Sikh friend who goes the pendant route... he is a martial artist though, so he can far more easily defend the innocent than the average guy with a knife... and with less potential harm... to be honest though, religion or not, I am uncomfortable with the idea of functional knives being brought into a school (I was stabbed in the leg at school when I was 7) so although I am for religious tolerance in cases of differing beliefs that don't involve directly harming others... I still just don't feel comfortable with the idea of children bringing weapons into school...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 07, 2011 09:41PM

The kirpan serves two purposes, as I understand it: to remind one of the need to combat the devil(or evil) and relatedly, to remind one to decline the easy way out--violence. It would be an incredibly strong willed individual who, having access to a weapon, would refrain from using it.

Date: January 08, 2011 12:08AM

thats pretty cool in my opinion, I just don't trust children to decline the easy way out most of the time...they seldom do... and I wouldn't want to risk other childrens lives on such a gamble... I am a bit torn on the issue, religious freedom is really important to me, but weapons in school...considering how violent public schools are these days, I cant see it being advisable...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: January 08, 2011 07:35AM

And if you donate a kidney to someone else, what do you do if your remaining kidney goes kapoot, and the person you "saved" dies a few months after your generous donation, just to add insult to injury? Why did the universe give you two kidneys if you "need" only one? Just because you can walk, talk & chew gum with ony one kidney doesn't mean that the other doesn't serve a purpose. As a matter of fact, in trad./classical chinese medicine, your 2 kidneys are complementary and don't behave quite the same. Look it up if you are so inclined.

How about your eyes? Would you give up one for someone else's sake? How about one testicle - don't think that won't be doable one fine day.

Curator - if you think transplants are "okay", why make a distinction between a potential recipient being "innocent" and another being a chronic druggie and alcohoic? Wouldn't that be lacking in compassion too, to make such a judgment? Maybe the druggie/alcoholic suffered severe abuse as a child and that caused him to become an addict whose kidneys failed. Why no compassion here? Inquiring minds continue to want to know.

When we are young, we don't feel the loss of a kidney too keenly. But wait till you are middle aged or old.

Date: January 08, 2011 02:04PM

yes, I am torn over the issue as well. I don't feel at ease when I know someone has a weapon. I can recall as a child going to a park. There was a big dog there I was afraid of. So I found a piece of antanae from a car and carried that. The dog kept on barking at me, which I kept on holding for defense. The mother in the park told me that the dog is ok, it just wanted me to put the weapon down. That was difficult for me to trust, but after a minute I put it down. The dog was totally gentle after that. So, I thought I was protecting myself, but that was bringing on a reaction from the dog.

Date: January 08, 2011 10:48PM

I am compassionate for what he has gone through, but there is a big difference between the choices somebody makes that harm themselves, and things that are NOT a persons choice, addiction IS a choice, I know, I have been there, I was heavily abused as a child, physically and sexually, whatever their issues are, THEY have the ability to make choices, and they chose to do things that would kill themselves... its not the same in the case of people i was referring to as "innocent"... Also, giving up a kidney actually does shorten your life, considerably, thats still the choice of the person giving the kidney, and I dont think there is anything wrong with it if that is what they feel is right to do for them... liver on the other hand you can give a part of it and your liver will regrow, and the piece you give them, if it takes, will grow a whole new liver... the liver is amazing...

As far as me, id give them part of my liver, but no I wouldn't give anyone irreplaceable organs that would drastically shorten my life, except in a few special circumstances... Id also like to point out, that most organ transplants are from people who have died for other reasons and their organs are harvested to help others live... most are not from people who will lose a chunk of their life span from donating... and Blood, blood doesnt hurt anyone to give other than an initial needle prick... and thats coming from somebody with a severe needle phobia,LOL...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: January 08, 2011 10:51PM

mislu, I love that story, i think that would make a good metaphor for how allot of people treat other human beings on an interpersonal level as well...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 10, 2011 03:49AM

I have an organ donor card, my body parts may be used for transplant after I die. Not for medical research though, sadly I have had medical students tell me horror stories of the disrespect shown to cadavers and even though I would be dead and shouldn't care, on some level I still do. The idea of having my organs used as a football or my carcass being debased does not sit easy with me, I have some attachment issues to work through still I suppose.
I would of course donate any body part neccessary for my children and I think also for a family member. Definately if it would save their life or, in the case of my kiddies, even just to improve a bad situation. Even if it would make my life harder. Or shorter. Just the simple act of giving birth to them made my life harder, put a dent in my good health and based on the chronic shortage of sleep most parents suffer I will assume also shortened my life. So what, it's quality not quantity that is important to me and by quality I don't mean just physically. I love my babies, that's as important to me as anything else.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables