Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Marine Corp recruiter just called...
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: January 29, 2011 09:47PM

...asking for my son. My son is away this weekend, so I fielded the call. I was very agitated that he called on my personal cell number, which he would not

disclose where he got it from - only that he was calling "seniors in the area" to see what plans they had for after graduation.

Actually, I was very agitated that he called at all...he left his number for my son to return the call, but I believe he knows there is little chance of that happening.

I feel these guys are a bit intrusive with their questioning...asking things that are none of their business, IMO...He received very little cooperation from me, & if he calls again next week, which I am sure that he will...

I believe I will let him in on all my conspiracy theories, lol...

So, if I suddenly stop posting mid week or so, you may assume that I received a visit from the military...lol

Not funny...I wouldn't put anything past Uncle Sam anymore...

Just had to vent...it is really bugging me that I had to take time out of my day to talk to this guy & I had a hard time politely ending the call...

Just leave me & my family alone...if I am interested, I will contact you... sad smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Marine Corp recruiter just called...
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 29, 2011 10:09PM

sad smiley
This is very un-nice. Make it impossible to live then offer an "out" to the vulnerable impressionable youth. Very tricky that. If your kids want to get married I have younger siblings to spare...

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: January 29, 2011 11:09PM

That's one of my worst nightmares - that my kids are drafted and have to go to war.

If it was me, I'd not say anything to make him suspicious. I'd be real polite and say that my son's not interested because he's going to college when he finishes high school. Don't answer the phone the next time he calls.

Or tell him that your son doesn't like to drink his own urine, so he wouldn't qualify smiling smiley

Date: January 29, 2011 11:14PM

Tell them he's gay, that outta shut them right up.

Oh wait, or put him on the front lines. Never mind.

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: January 29, 2011 11:21PM

Tell them your son will call them back as soon as he takes his Ritalin and anti-depressants.

Date: January 29, 2011 11:43PM

coco...they are accepting gays now...

kidraw..."That's one of my worst nightmares - that my kids are drafted and have to go to war.

If it was me, I'd not say anything to make him suspicious. I'd be real polite and say that my son's not interested because he's going to college when he finishes high school. Don't answer the phone the next time he calls. "

That will most likely be my tact - I will play it as cool as possible. Not answering the phone is not really an option,

as they call from a blocked number...funny how it is okay for the government to hide their tracks, but not us regular folk... sad smiley

I was gonna go into how we don't do vaccines & all that, but I decided not to volunteer any more information than necessary.

I was just talking to a friend of mine who just went through the same phone call - or should I say, series of phone calls.

He son told them he wasn't interested, and they were very polite; then, the calls started. about every other week or so, another recruiter would call, just to politely "check in", to see if they could help out in some way in the child's future.

The last call they received was from a female recruiter...I am not about to go through all that nonsense...

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: January 30, 2011 12:35AM

juicerkatz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just leave me & my family alone...if I am
> interested, I will contact you... sad smiley
Katz.....with all due respects, I think you're
overreacting. Easy does it old buddy.....WY

Date: January 30, 2011 01:50AM

Wheatgrass Yogi Wrote:
> juicerkatz Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Just leave me & my family alone...if I am
> > interested, I will contact you... sad smiley
> Katz.....with all due respects, I think you're
> overreacting. Easy does it old buddy.....WY

I may be...

it just get to me when I receive a call from from a blocked number on my personal cell, someone claiming to be a recruiter & they are all in my face with all these personal questions...

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: January 30, 2011 02:28AM

I dont think he is over reacting WY, these guys are sharks, and once they smell blood, they will not leave you alone, I had to actually threaten taking legal action against them, with the whole do not call list and everything, even military recruiters have to obey it as well, if you ask them to stop calling, they by law, have to, although I believe they have 30 days, considering they called me every couple of days for nearly a year be4 I found this out, I can't stand most recruiters, one for the Navy was really friendly, informative, and respectful, after I told them that I definitely did not want to join, but if I ever changed my mind id contact them, they never called me back again...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: January 30, 2011 02:41AM

Curator Wrote:
> I dont think he is over reacting WY, these guys
> are sharks, and once they smell blood, they will
> not leave you alone
You have convinced me. I had no idea.....WY

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 30, 2011 05:42PM

jk,

Let your son handle this. I agree that he should politely and firmly state that he has other plans after graduation and that's that. They don't usually hound people--they aren't telemarketers! I would not lie, or exaggerate or anything like that. It isn't necessary. The important thing is for your boy to say "thanks, but no thanks" like he really means it.

P.S. The military has always allowed gays to serve, they just didn't acknowledge it winking smiley

Date: January 31, 2011 12:49AM

Katz....It may do your Son good to go into the Service
after High School. I did, and it was a wise decision, as I came
out with much more confidence.
What is your son going to do, if you don't mind my asking?.....WY

Date: January 31, 2011 01:16AM

Computer related field...& my son has plenty of confidence on his own, not the Ra-Ra stuff that the army would brainwash him with...lol...I guess..

My dad & brother were military men, it messed them up real good & the VA is a joke when it comes to helping people after they've served the country & come back injured.

My family & I are Pacifists in the sense that we oppose war or violence as a means of settling disputes - in most cases.

I understand we need defense, but the whole military industrial complex bugs me a great deal as well...

I didn't use to feel this way & at one point in my teens I considered enlisting - that God my brother talked me out of it...

WY - are you a Korean war vet?

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: January 31, 2011 11:58PM

That is way creepy (getting your cell number). I find that very invasive. I almost would want to open up an investigation to find out how they could even do that. For what it's worth, on applications (if I had a cell phone), I would never give it out for this exact reason. You just never know if it will be sold or given to someone against your will. I agree with you about the military and it's especially frightening now because even the Reserves are getting called up and when they go over to the Middle East, they are protecting contractors making many times their salary! It's awful on so many levelssad smiley

Date: February 01, 2011 12:55AM

Once long ago in my youth I thought of joining the service, don't ask me why it was a weird time in my life. Anyhow, a few months later and out of the blue the recruiting officer I'd spoken to called me to "check in" during the day at work, completely freaking me out... How did he know where I was working? It was a new job, not one I'd had when I first expressed interest. And this is Canada, I can only imagine what sort of resources they have in the states to track down every eligible recruit. Scary, really.

Date: February 01, 2011 01:36AM

I imagine they got the number from the school district. They have our numbers on file in case of emergency.

Since all govt. entities are in cahoots w/ each other, they all share information. I am waiting for the return phone call...I thought of doing a Jim Florentine spoof, but I believe I will just play it cool & say "no thanks"...

Don't wanna raise any flags & draw attention to us.

Date: February 01, 2011 01:47AM

That is a complete violation of privacy though, the school board is not supposed to give out anyone's phone numbers for any reason. THEY can call you to pass along a message of urgency but they can't just hand your number over. Very shifty this whole thing if you ask me.
Do you feel like insisting that he tell you how he got your number? I would very much like to know if I were in your situation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2011 01:49AM by coco.

Date: February 01, 2011 02:17AM

I thought of asking the school secretary if they provide the numbers to the recruiters. I could ask the recruiter again...if he calls...but he could easily lie to me - how would I know?

I would really like to have fun spoofing him on a return call, but as I mentioned, I don't want to do anything to draw attention to us.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 01, 2011 01:03PM

jk,

Don't try to pull one over on them--it will complicate things. And as for where they got the number: everyone knows your cell phone number, land line number, and Social Security card number have likely been in the public domain for forever, right? There's no such thing as confidential data now, unless it's something Julian Assange would be interested in, LOL!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables