Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Im thinking about baking sourdough...
Posted by: Curator ()
Date: February 01, 2011 09:49PM

not for my own consumption... but people are paying such outlandish prices here for artisan loaves, I could make such a killing... charge them $3 for a normal one, $5 for anything fancier like sprouted breads, or fruit...I can usually sell as much rosemary sourdough as im able to make... could be a good source of extra income, ive done this for extra income be4 and it definitely helped...it would be great to be able to produce some yummy raw treat to sell to people to earn some cash, but I dont think that would go over well enough to make it worthwhile... maybe after I get some dedicated customers, give them some samples of yummy raw stuff? Offer a kind of raw foods catering service?...hmmm... what are your thoughts everyone?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Im thinking about baking sourdough...
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: February 01, 2011 10:25PM

Good luck!

That can be a lucrative side business, or even a main business to get into. I don't know how your laws/ordinances/requirements are on it, though - you may want to check into that...

We (well, my wife) looked into this a few years ago as there is a hugh market for baked goods of all types at our local farmers' markets. What we found was that we had to be licensed by the county,

have a separate baking area away from the rest of the house, commercial dedicated overs, routing unannounced inspections & other stuff...

we threw our hands up & said "forget it!"

There *used* to be a "loophole" in the law for small mom & pop baking like we wanted to do, but they did away with that loophole...probably because they could generate more revenue for the county the other way.

They were concerned with the health/safety aspect as well, I realize...

Your area of the country may be set up totally different than this...I don't know.

I think you should definitely look into doing it though, esp. if you love preparing/baking. Create some of your own specialty products & you may hit it big time! smiling smiley

Date: February 01, 2011 10:30PM

the laws are similar here, but if I want to make an actual business out of it, I can do so more cheaply by basically applying for the licenses I need to run a catering business, the rules are different... its a funny loophole that existed in my hometown, I still need to find out whether that exists here though. (although I didnt bother to get the license there either, all my sales where under the table, often involved trading for other services/products as well)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 01, 2011 11:00PM

How are people who set up at a farmers market doing it? Bet none of them have commercially licensed kitchens winking smiley.
I say go for it, that's a great way to make money and make people happy. Just don't be tempted to eat it all yourself!

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: February 01, 2011 11:26PM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How are people who set up at a farmers market
> doing it? Bet none of them have commercially
> licensed kitchens winking smiley.
> I say go for it, that's a great way to make money
> and make people happy. Just don't be tempted to
> eat it all yourself!

Maybe 40% (give or take) are grandfathered in because their families have been in the baking/food prep industry long before these new ordinances took effect and are not held to the new laws. (I don't know why that is, but it is what the licensing bureau told me)

Another 40% (give or take) are Mennonite & Amish families that are also grandfathered in under some other loophole.

Those two groups pretty much have the market cornered - the remainder are licensed. There are catering businesses that bake as Curator mentioned, but the price of their products can't compare to the other two groups.

They way I see it, I need to marry into an Amish or Mennonite family if I want to do the baking thing, lol. grinning smiley

"all my sales where under the table, often involved trading for other services/products as well)"

That may be the most realistic way of doing it & avoiding the bureaucracy.

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: February 02, 2011 12:17AM

I have another idea for you to make some extra money, Curator.

Buy and sell on Craigslist (oh, that's right, you said you wanted to have a Raw Foods Craigslist, I forgot)

Buy the good furniture real cheap and fix it up so it's really chic and then sell it for twice as much. If you have access to two different regions, it works real well because you can buy the upscale stuff for next to nothing from the urban area and turn around and sell it in the area that just has boring cheap brown furniture listed.

The only downside is the chemicals from the paint aren't healthy.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: February 02, 2011 04:51AM

im with coco .. just dive right an start making and selling .. if someone bitches .. pray nobody complains, play stupid , pay the fees an carry on smiling smiley

my boss calls that pray, play an pay grinning smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: February 02, 2011 06:01AM

go for it
i know bread is one of the hardest dam things to give up and folks will always want it

Date: February 02, 2011 09:07AM

Kidraw, good idea, thanks, I am sans transportation other than my own two feet at the moment or the bus, so thats easier said than done, unless I can find people willing to deliver, but I will keep it in mind for when I get better transportation, and look around, also the raw craigslist idea I found cannot be done, not in the way I originally hoped, as from what I have been able to find so far, craigslist has a copyright on their site design, so I am looking into figuring out something with similar set up, but different enough to not get me in trouble... all the ideas I have come up with so far, aren't that much different than a forum >.< so that is on the back burner for now...

Coco, JK, And jodi, vinny, jk's breakdown is roughly right for our area too from what little I know so far, but yeah, I think I will just do the under the table thing with both bread, and hopefully get some people to try raw stuff too... I mean, at least my bread wont have any crap in it thats bad for a person other than cooked wheat >.< I use unbleached, but as I make more money, im gonna switch to organic as well...sure, less of a profit margin, but id rather be making a better product, I could also offer both, organic for a tiny bit more per loaf or something... it still wont be the healthiest stuff in the world, but sure as heck better than what they would be buying in the store... plus i can use it as an opportunity to introduce them to some raw foods too, including this raw food spread I make with raw nuts (usually walnut, pecan, and sometimes almond, im lucky I live in place now where i can get them for free sometimes) and dried fruit, after I get my own dehydrator again I can even use dried fruits that dont have any bad stuff in them...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 02, 2011 10:36PM

I am sorry to hear that cottage food prep laws are passing away in other parts of the country; our state just passed a law allowing for small producers to make stuff to sell direct to the public, and it seems like it can be very lucrative for local economies as well as for small families. Curator, look into if you can get around the licensing requirements by renting a licensed commercial kitchen off hours to prepare the sourdough; this is a loop hole in some states, and if the rent were cheap enough, it could be worth your while to do it by the book. Good luck, kiddo. Better "artisinal sourdough" than wacky tabbacky, eh? winking smiley

Date: February 03, 2011 12:03AM

haha, yeah, even under the table, far less legal risk,LOL...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: February 03, 2011 02:40AM

Curator rather than going out .. could you have bread/raw food parties at yer home smiling smiley

Date: February 03, 2011 02:53AM

no, need as little risk of bringing in outside pathogens as possible.

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: February 03, 2011 03:04AM

LOL

"outside pathogens"

Date: February 03, 2011 03:26AM

because my mom is late stage cancer kid raw and has a suppressed immune system.

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: February 03, 2011 04:00AM

ahh right yea not a good idea .. hmm .. *puts thinking cap back on* smiling smiley

Date: February 03, 2011 02:36PM

You know, people travel to the bakery to buy their bread. No reason they can't pick it up from you! You can get around the rules by selling them the bag the bread comes in, the bread itself is free of charge winking smiley. Get creative. Have specific hours when baked goods are available, if it's exclusive people will be knocking down your door to get the goodies. Use paper sacks with a hand carved stamp design (I can point you to tutorials on how to do it, it's easy) and sell the bags as original pieces of art. Heh heh, stick it to da man bro'! Have a gallery exhibit of paper bags stamped with the designs as an initial way to kick off your business! Oh boy, I wish I lived closer, I'd be so into this. Contact the artisitic youth in your neighbourhood and see if they are into it, they can provide the art and you can distribute it as a way to promote them or a project they are into. You could have a Blast with this!

Date: February 03, 2011 04:56PM

hey! thats a good idea Coco! I already do a bunch of fun crafty stampin stuff already!!! I'll look into finding some bulk bread bags, and some local artists and see what comes of it... btw, I received my first order for bread today from a neighbor I gave free bread too, 3 artisan sourdough loaves for a dinner tomorrow, im gonna deliver them fresh, shortly be4 the dinner party is about to start, I think im gonna throw in a order of 6 rosemary sourdough rolls for free, I think they will go great with the menu she has talked with me about, and everybody likes free stuff right?lol... plus she will get to try something new.smiling smiley

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: February 03, 2011 07:10PM

That is AWESOME! Print some card up, maybe just cut up brown paper bags stamped with stuff with your info on the back, for her guests.

If there are kids in your area wanting to raise money for a skate park or something like that, get attention for a community center or a community garden project etc, you can use your bags as a way to advertise and even possibly make money. Like price stuff so that you can afford to give them 10 cents to a quarter/loaf of bread. People LOVE to support that sort of thing, it could increase your sales. Anytime you co-create a project you have twice the potential advertising ability. This could be so great for you, I'm excited!

Date: February 03, 2011 07:20PM

Im excited to! so many good ideas,lol!!! I need to take a lil extra time to plan, if orders get to high to fast, there is no way I could keep up with demand... oh and at Tam's earlier idea, im not sure if that would be possible (renting a licensed commercial kitchen, even by the day) until much much later, when im bringing in more income, assuming this gets big enough to do so, I still need to keep it small enough scale to have time to take care of my mom, during her break from chemo Ive had tons of time, when she goes into treatment again, that time will probably reduce considerably... I think I need to do a test run and see how many loaves of bread I can make in a 3 day period, including mixing up dough and cold proofing enough in the the fridge each day to have some available for the next day and so forth... I will have a very happy neighborhood after this I think, LOL... keeping track of the time used for each step, I can then have a better idea of how I am going to need to organize things to run this, and take care of my mom, and how much bread i can produce in a given day, and how much notice I will need people to give me for orders normally. hmmmmm....

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: February 03, 2011 08:59PM

If you get busy you make it a first come first severed thing. No orders, except for special people smiling smiley. Do it on your terms, not theirs. People don't show and you're stuck with day old bread. Just make the bread and sell it to the takers. You'll do well, people Love their bread!

Date: February 03, 2011 10:57PM

Curator Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> because my mom is late stage cancer kid raw and
> has a suppressed immune system.

I know. I'm sorry; it just sounded funny to me. I was just visualizing little tiny alien creatures outside your house that you don't want to get in. I wish your mother to be amenable to eating raw and having a miraculous recovery.

Date: February 04, 2011 04:03AM

I got her to try some avocado today (with taquitos though) but she actually ended up eating the whole avocado! (and it was a fairly big one!) then had a banana for desert, i was really surprised... I think my little breakdown the other day had a bigger impact on her than it seemed at the time...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: February 07, 2011 09:32PM

I have actually thought about this myself, although along the lines of sprouted breads. But I don't have a dehydrator yet so it would be in the future. I was able to purchase 2 lbs. of organic wheat berries for $2, which would probably make several loaves at least. With a 9-sheet dehydrator and selling loaves at $5 a pop, the net would probably be around $35 at least. Multiply by 7 and you have $245. Of course, you would have to find vendors will to buy 45 loaves a week!

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: February 07, 2011 09:33PM

LOL- I meant 9X7= 63 loaves a week! Even more challenging but possible.

Date: February 07, 2011 11:53PM

Plant some rosemary, quick! And make sure you let people know that your lovely fresh preservative-free bread won't sit on a shelf for more than a couple of days before it starts to go funky. I occasionally buy bread from the baker next door and it goes moldy super fast.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables