Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Growing food in boxes and buckets
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 04, 2011 12:05AM

This looks like a great system for growing because it can be done anywhere, you can get these buckets for cheap or free from lots of restaurants, it's portable so you can take it with you, it looks like it sustains itself very well without lots of attention, and it uses less water than other growing methods.

[www.globalbuckets.org]
[www.youtube.com]

BUT I don't drink water from plastic bottles or put my food into plastic containers so... would I grow veggies in plastic? I don't know guys, what do you think?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Growing food in boxes and buckets
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: February 04, 2011 12:10AM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ..... would I
> grow veggies in plastic? I don't know guys, what
> do you think?
I bet the neighbors would complain.....WY

Date: February 04, 2011 12:50AM

I don't think so, it's just a thing to do in backyard. It's less messy than the kids toys, wading pool, bikes etc. It would probably be an improvement!

Posted by: veghunter ()
Date: February 04, 2011 01:11AM

Coco, we don't do much container gardening, in part because we actually find it more difficult than regular gardening. The container-grown plants are more sensitive to water and temperature fluxuations. But, maybe the 2 bucket watering system takes care of some of that.

But, we've been using those plastic 5-gallon sheetrock buckets for years. It's hard to escape plastic in gardening because it's often used in pots that your starter plants are grown in, containers to hold compost, some hoses, etc. Personally, I think the benefit of growing your own produce outweighs the potential harm from the plastic.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: February 04, 2011 03:59AM

I agree with veg, plus if they are food safe buckets, they are probably even safer than the average plastic pots actually MADE to grow plants in,lol

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: February 04, 2011 04:01AM

Good things to think about. I am hesitant to dig up the landlord's yard to plant in the soil plus who knows what's in that dirt! This seemed like a good way to go for me. That and vertical planting, the garage wall faces south. And I have a small deck off the front of the house.

Date: February 04, 2011 04:04AM

sounds like its ready to be turned into a veritable garden of eden! hehe, or, er, whatever type of garden you'd like,lol

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: February 04, 2011 08:03AM

buckets from restaurants are food grade safe ..for what its worth they are probably safer than say getting cheap new buckets from yer paint store (which are not food grade safe)

smiling smiley i use alot of buckets around here grinning smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 05, 2011 11:11PM

coco,

Jodi's idea made me wonder, why not go to a restaurant supply place and see what containers they have in Lexan, which is rated food safe?

Date: February 06, 2011 04:11AM

My plan exactly, to hit up local restos for their bucket cast offs. Bet I could score bunches in only a short time. I could line the yard with them. Just gotta find some soil and actually stick around long enough to grow something... hmm... maybe not this year after all. We will be gone by July.

Date: February 06, 2011 04:34AM

could get a couple just to grow some fun flowers <3 flowers are awesome, and are fun to grow, maybe a bucket full of wild flowers?grinning smiley hehe

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables