Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Vegan shaving?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 13, 2011 03:27AM

Do any of you use a shaving brush at all? I'm wondering what sort you've got and what you recommend.
My brother's bday is coming up and I know he's been looking for a safety razor, the kind that you replace the blades in. I've been checking out what's available online and came across some very nice shaving kits with a stand, razor, container for shaving soap and a brush. Most of the brushes are made with boar bristles which I'm not into but some are made of horse hair (falls out during brushing they say but I suspect they cut it) and some are synthetic. The type I would opt for would be the horse hair, even though it's not technically vegan it is organic in nature and cruelty free. I can get handmade shaving soap that is made right in this area and smells terrific too.

Thanks for any advice you've got fellas (and ladies too smiling smiley. I'm tempted to get a brush for myself as well, that soap smells fantastic!).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Vegan shaving?
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: February 13, 2011 06:04PM

my uncle is a barber he still uses the strait razor .. in his opinion , shaving is a meditative process that has been lost to progress and the need for speed

more often than not you had 3 options .. your shaved yourself, your wife shaved you, or your barber did it

it was probably a good bonding moment for men i guess doing the weekly barber thing ...and if your wife did it for you ..well you better be a nice man cuz she held the fine line between a good shave and your throat slit right in her hands grinning smiley

if your brother is lookin to slow down an smell the roses then i think its a great gift smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: February 13, 2011 06:38PM

Oh, I am so not getting him a straight razor! Those things are scary scary scary! I was just looking at the regular sort that you replace the little razor blades in and there were lots that came with brushes and stands. But I don't want to buy a badger brush even though he isn't a vegetarian, I still couldn't bring myself to hand that over to him. And how I would explain to my little man that I purchased something that was responsible for killing a badger after all the Wind in the Willows type books we read -- well. Let's just say that would NOT go over well!

Date: February 13, 2011 07:13PM

yea strait razors are pretty scary grinning smiley

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: February 13, 2011 11:11PM

ive never used a brush, I always just lathered up with my hand...i dunno why, but that sounds kinda off...lol

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: February 13, 2011 11:43PM

Isn't disposable razor blades doing it the wasteful way though? I have been using electrics for years & they have come a long way with the closeness of the shave.

I just got fed up with purchasing throwaway blades all the time. Even buying replacements online can get expensive.

Date: February 13, 2011 11:46PM

and they are SOOOOO expensive JKatz ! .. i think its rediculous the price they charge for those triple/quadruple blades .. up here they are like 15-20$ for a 6 pack ???? wtf??? and they end up in the garbage !

Date: February 13, 2011 11:48PM

The replacement blades (not a whole razor, just the blade for the sort that you can change them in) aren't that much money and they are also steel so can be recycled. I am sure a straight razor is more efficient but really, those things Are quite frightening.

Electric razor, well, I'm trying (unsuccessfully so far) to cut out electronics of all sorts. I'm working on it, there are plans for living in a tent for a time coming up this summer.

Date: February 13, 2011 11:58PM

Ive never heard of an electric razor under $300 that shaves close enough to for the average professional environment to be ok with it... ive seen a lot of claims, but i have friends even with expensive ones that complain about it... I used to have a 2 blade razor with disposable heads, each head lasted me between 2-6 months be4 I needed to change it depending on how often i shaved, shaving everyday it took about 2 months roughly... (sometimes twice in a day if going out that night) which still puts it far cheaper than the disposable razors...

Electrics ive used suuuucked... also, I have such thick facial hair, that those 3+ blade razors actually hurt when I use them, yet my friends love them... I cant... when they stopped making the 2 blade ones where I could replace the tops, I just started using disposables, but only shave when i absolutely need to... right now im rockin a bit of a mountain man beard,lol...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: February 14, 2011 07:20PM

jodi -Those 4 blade razors gave me a super close shave...back when I used them. It did feel good, but again, the cost... sad smiley

curator - If you purchase an electric online you can really shave some off the price grinning smiley

I have a mid level one now - it is a Braun, I forget the number. The key with the electrics is that you need to "touch up" throughout the day. I will hit it around 3-4 times a day.

Since it is rechargeable, I can take it along in the car & shave while driving...lol...I know, very bad!

Also, most people who complain of the shave not being close enough are pressing too hard. With the electric, you really only need to apply light pressure to the face "skimming" it to get a nice close shave.

Date: February 14, 2011 07:56PM

yup, I know this, actually bought most of the ones ive owned online, the had great reviews, followed directions, including to just pass lightly over the skin, and it always left obvious whiskers behind, one did a bit better than others, actually it was a braun as well, my parents got it for me for christmas, not sure how much they payed for it, but its blades dulled horribly in slightly under a year, and it was over $100 to replace them, so I just threw it away... self sharpening, surrrreee,lol...

I must say though, I have EXTREMELY thick beard hair, so people with finer hair would probably have better results than I have had... my friend phil can get an awesome shave from electric, but his hair is super fine, plus he has a really damn expensive one.

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: February 14, 2011 08:45PM

My beard hair is very course as well, & my neck is sensitive - so it makes for a non-pleasurable shaving experience in that area...but I manage...

The foil/blade assembly should last approx. 1 yr., depending on your shaving habits, of course...

I recently replaced the cutter assy. on mine for about $30, purchased online. I figure I would go through more than $30 worth of razor blades in a year's time...

And I like the convenience of being able to do it on the go, not having to lather up, etc.

coco, are we winning you over yet? grinning smiley

Date: February 14, 2011 08:58PM

It's not for me, it's for my bro and he wants the kind with the replaceable blades.
For myself... I confess that I hardly ever bother to shave. Not enough to justify an electric razor.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: February 14, 2011 09:16PM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My brother's bday is coming up and I know he's
> been looking for a safety razor, the kind that you
> replace the blades in.
Shaving is a very personal act....I'd let him find
his own, or continue to do what he's currently doing (assuming
he's shaving now). But you know your brother. I wouldn't want
someone deciding for me how I'm going to shave.....WY

Date: February 14, 2011 11:02PM

He has mentioned that this is a thing he wants and I don't think he'd buy it for himself. It would make a nice gift for him. I usually print shirts for him but he would like this.

The last one I made said "I know your password" on it, he is a computer buff.
Here are a couple more. I don't know how many more tshirts he needs though, this may be the end of this sort of gift for a while.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: February 15, 2011 12:26PM

I use this cheap electric shaver most days, but for special occations I use a blade. I have never tried a strait edge, I find the idea too scary. But I wouldn't mind bringing my own strait edge to a barber. I saw a really nice sounding one with titanium coating, but haven't bought it.

I have considered just letting my facial hair and hair in general just grow. But our western culture seems to have little tolerance for something uncomforming like that. I don't quite get the connection a lot of people make between being 'clean shaven' and morally good. If you look at someone that is just a little too preened and perfectly shaven it looks unnatural, kind of uptight. Its like trimming a tree, sometimes people think that makes it look better. But generally I like the look of wild trees.

Date: February 15, 2011 01:18PM

Hey, Jesus had a beard! Long hair too (at least in pictures where he is the typical young white man). The hippy.

I personally don't like facial hair but that's because I don't like the way it feels against my face or elsewhere. There are plenty of women and men who don't mind and even like it. Everyone should do as they wish in this, conformity be darned. I don't feel I should have to shave my legs if I don't want to. I certainly am not going to shave under my arms!

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 15, 2011 02:50PM

Ah, this thread has revived my girlhood Grizzly Adams crush . . .

Date: February 15, 2011 08:26PM

coco,
The nazarene is a common figure for a lot of people in the western world. I have no idea why his image is that of long hair and beard. Meanwhile, some churches have official recommendations against long hair, beards, and also wearing suits to look like sales men or government agents or something. Something is a bit off I would say.

Baptized Sikhs don't remove any hair by shaving, cutting, waxing, electrolosis etc. I think the thought is that its closer to natural. Others thought that it is symbolic of taking effort for keeping everything from getting knotted up. I don't know what the whole story is as I am not sikh. So, I suppose a sikh woman doesn't shave, and may have to put up with a unibrow if that is what nature gave her.

Tamukha
I wish I could grow a beard like gizzly. The best I would do is a goatee with some scruff on the sides. For some reason there is a patch missing in the middle. I don't know if its just me or a racial thing or a combo. I have always wanted to be able to grow a full beard, even if I shave it. I like the look of grey skin in a 5 oclock shaddow. Until recently whenever I shave I couldn't see any signs of facial hair at all for a few days.

Date: February 15, 2011 09:20PM

wow... I wish I could go a few days without signs of facial hair after shaving, wanna trade? I get signs within a few hours of shaving!!!

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: February 15, 2011 10:16PM

I know, everyone wants what someone else has. I remember a roomate in college who hated shaving, hes been doing it since 12 or so. He had such an incredible thick growth. He actually would time when he shaved or not shaved to get the max out of the look he wanted. For instance he found that he got a closer shave if he had two days growth when he shaved, so he didn't shave for 2 days, and then shaved just before going out, like the last thing he did. That was the only way he could get anything close to bare skin. He hated it!

Its like people with curly hair wanting it strait, and the other way around. Perm and relaxing...

Date: February 15, 2011 10:20PM

I love my hair the way it is when its happy, I just dont like facial hair... when it gets this thick its all itchy and uncomfortable no matter how clean you keep it,lol... I think it can look quite nice when I trim it, but I just really dislike the discomfort, inconvenience, and cost of having such prolific facial hair,lol

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: February 16, 2011 10:07AM

i like my guy shaved or bearded .. its the in between thats brutal smiling smiley

Date: February 16, 2011 12:52PM

Curator
Do you also have a lot of body hair? I was pretty much bald bodywise until just a few years ago.

Date: February 16, 2011 11:35PM

I have A LOT of body hair, my back is hairless though, luckily, my chest has very little, and what is there is super soft, but the rest of me is super super hairy, I really dislike it...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: February 16, 2011 11:49PM

That's sexy. Hair is very manly, I could never understand the fascination with bald prepubescent looking dudes. Seems really childish to me. I mean, if it's natural ok but there is all this "manscaping" that's popular now and it really squicks me out.
Then again, I'm not into "ladyscaping" either!

Date: February 17, 2011 12:08AM

wellll, lol, I appreciate the compliment, but I will explain more in PM,lol.

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: February 17, 2011 03:12PM

Coco,
There are hersuite women, I imagine that has got to be tough. I think the hairless trend for body hair on men probably has something to do with bodybuilding, who knows. I don't particularly like the hair on my legs

Date: February 28, 2011 02:40AM

Maybe not exactly a vegan shave, but some good info. I may rethink using blades. I really like the convenience of the electric shave, but I do miss that silky smoothness...

[today.msnbc.msn.com]

...A good badger-hair shaving brush is the single most important ingredient in getting the perfect shave...

Date: February 28, 2011 01:22PM

I think it's sick to shave using hairs plucked from the dead a$$ of a badger. I'll take prickly over that nonsense, thankyouverymuch.
I liked the article though winking smiley.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables