Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Ladies, do you shave?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 10, 2011 04:22PM

LOL- I was hanging in Hyde Park (Chicago) one day and saw a crunchy granola type of chick riding her bike and flauting her hairy legs. She had pale skin so it was pretty noticeable. I have pretty dark hair and it would totally show so I shave in the warm weather and don't all winter. Just curious if raw or raw-curious females subcumb to social convention or not...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ladies, do you shave?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 10, 2011 04:29PM

I am so incredibly lazy about this, plus my skin does not like the razor (or the wax or the tweezers). I don't shave all winter unless someone is going to be seeing or touching my legs. If we go swimming I use the clippers without a guard to get close to the skin so there isn't very visible hair but my skin doesn't have a fit from being shaved. In summer, well, I do my best because hairy legs look weird to me with the skirts and dresses I like to wear in the hot weather but I end up bumpy and how pretty is that?
I trim under the arm but I think a naked armpit looks gross so I never shave that off completely. Really, that is about the ugliest skin in the universe, why would anyone want to show it off? I think a little hair in the armpit is very sexy on men or women.

Date: April 10, 2011 06:33PM

That is funny about pit hair because people freak out when women don't shave that. I remember a pic of Julia Roberts...Lemme crank up the old Googlewinking smiley
Yup, here is it: [www.women-health-info.com]

OMG- caused such a stir! eye rolling smiley

Date: April 10, 2011 07:00PM

Erm, yes, it doesn't quite go with rest of that whole shi-shi-la-la Hollywood look she's got going on.

Sometimes people freak out in the opposite way. I had a friend of a boyfriend (actually, it was my boyfriend's friend's older brother so double flatter bonus) yank my arm up at a gathering one time and loudly proclaim "OMG you don't shave under your arms! That's SO sexy!" He practically had his face in there, he was so enamored. It was lovely to be honest, I mean also a bit embarrassing and uncomfortable in the moment but to have a man so overcome by my armpit was awesome.

He hasn't been the only man I've known who loved it either winking smiley.

But hairy legs, not so much. Only one boyfriend liked that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2011 07:01PM by coco.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: April 10, 2011 07:09PM

im not terribly hairly to begin with .. i can literally count the hairs in each pit lol .. 9 in one and 12 in the other.

same as legs aand arms not overly hairy .. really fine .. i think it has something to do with me having a really bad bad episode of Impetago when i was a kid i got it really bad and nearly my whole legs and arms were covered in it .. i think it might have damaged the folicles to some degree .. i dont match the normal hairiness of the rest of my family smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: April 10, 2011 07:15PM

Jo, I am jealous of your hairless legged state. Seriously. That is so nice for you and so unfair for the rest of us!

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 10, 2011 07:35PM

"I dont match the normal hairiness of the rest of my family"

That's an award-winning Tweet if ever there was one, Jodi winking smiley

Date: April 10, 2011 07:55PM

Coco, there was this "shaman" (he blew into town but I am not really sure exactly what he was up to) who told me that hairy pits were a turn-on to men because it reminded them of...something elsewinking smiley In any case, there will always be that cadre of dudes who go ew!!!!! at the sight of furry pits (and other hairy areaswinking smiley) LOL- oh well, too bad for them...

Posted by: Corathegreen ()
Date: April 10, 2011 08:05PM

I shave everything except my arms. Legs, armpits, lady bits, the works. I'm a girly girl. I like to be smooth, soft and sexy. Plus I can't stand the feeling of rubbing lotion or oil into my skin if it's not shaved!

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: April 10, 2011 08:20PM

Yep.

My favorite raw vegan

Date: April 10, 2011 08:39PM

Maybe I should expand this for the men in the audiencewinking smiley:

Men, do you prefer a woman to shave her legs and underarms or not? Or do you not even care either way?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2011 08:47PM by banana who.

Date: April 10, 2011 08:43PM

lol Tam grinning smiley

Date: April 10, 2011 09:05PM

Oh yes BananaWho, that's exactly the appeal. It's visually like two extra and quite visible zones exhibiting sexual maturity. A repository for pheromones and scent as well. I am a fan of the armpit.

Date: April 10, 2011 09:13PM

Haha @ 'sexual maturity!' No offense to anyone, but it seems a bit...creepy for a man to want a woman total bare down there. I am not saying that all men are jerks or pervs for it--after all, there is this social conditioning (the latest being Brazilian waxes) but I just feel it is a woman's perogative how she wants to handle that area of the body. I have never waxed and shaving down there is PAINFUL!!! I get those razor bumpssad smiley If anyone has a solution to this, I am all ears. My latest idea is to simply buy those boyshorts that are swim bottoms. They cover up pretty wellwinking smiley

Date: April 10, 2011 09:24PM

never been able to make that area look less than a plucked chicken (and how attractive is that lol) .. i agree boy shorts more comfy .. i dont need my stuff hanging out all over the place in a teeny weeny bikini !

Date: April 10, 2011 09:30PM

"Stuff!" LOL!!!! Junk!!!!

Date: April 11, 2011 12:18AM

Laser. Could be done for around $200 total I think. Worth it to never have to shave the line again I'd think. I like my bikini smiling smiley.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: April 11, 2011 01:50AM

laser hair removal is not permanent without a year or more of treatments, which can cost thousands depending on how much area you need hair removed on... and if you are especially hairy, it may never actually work permanently, there are other forms which take longer, are a bit more expensive, but are far more likely to be permanent, and less painful...

as far as Nanners question, personally, as far as aesthetics go, I prefer most areas at least trimmed, I dont care at all if its just really short, like legs dont have to be perfectly smooth, but I prefer it to where its not easily noticeable with the naked eye, other than that, I actually like the feel of short hair on the legs, as far as armpits or pubes go, I just really couldnt care less as long as the person doesnt resemble a wookie... and even then, if thats the way she prefers things to be, and I love her, then its not something id make a big deal about...

(hell, if I could afford it though, id probably get electrolysis or something similar to have most of my body hair removed, but im a special case,lol)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 11, 2011 01:31PM

It depends winking smiley

Date: April 11, 2011 01:56PM

LOL@ wookie!!! OMG--what a visual!

Date: April 11, 2011 02:02PM

I'm just scrubbly, no wookie action here winking smiley.

When you go for laser treatments you only go every 2-4 months so a years worth isn't all that many. If you're doing a small area like chin, lip, nipple, partial bikini, that wouldn't be too expensive either. If you were going for full bikini line (front and back) or full bikini it would obviously cost more. And holy Maude, that would sting! And legs, well, that's going to be pricey and take a long time before you are completely done.

I have to say though, for lots of people even a reduction of hair and a thinning and lightening of what remains is enough. I'd be happy with that on my legs and bikini.

Posted by: Corathegreen ()
Date: April 11, 2011 04:11PM

banana who Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Haha @ 'sexual maturity!' No offense to anyone,
> but it seems a bit...creepy for a man to want a
> woman total bare down there. I am not saying that
> all men are jerks or pervs for it--after all,
> there is this social conditioning (the latest
> being Brazilian waxes) but I just feel it is a
> woman's perogative how she wants to handle that
> area of the body. I have never waxed and shaving
> down there is PAINFUL!!! I get those razor bumpssad smiley
> If anyone has a solution to this, I am all ears.
> My latest idea is to simply buy those boyshorts
> that are swim bottoms. They cover up pretty wellwinking smiley

There was a huge, twenty some page debate on this topic on another forum I'm on once... I think after much arguments we came to the conclusion that men like to be "down there" period and most will not complain either way....

I used to full brazillian wax and for me, shaving has been a much easier and painless option. After doing it for years, I no longer get razor burn or other irritation.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 11, 2011 06:30PM

just wonderin
if u do laser
wouldn't it have some adverse effects
overall
for the skin
like it is killing off the root
so... that has NO effect?

anyone ever wonder about that?

Date: April 11, 2011 06:31PM

Corathegreen Wrote:

> I used to full brazillian wax and for me, shaving
> has been a much easier and painless option. After
> doing it for years, I no longer get razor burn or
> other irritation.

Lucky you. After years of shaving and waxing I still get bumpy. I have a lot of long flowy hippy skirts to wear in the summer. Not great for bike riding but I don't always care to show my irritated leg skin off and sometimes I just want a break from having to care about it at all.

Ver, I thought about the effect of laser but it's less beaming energy than I get from sitting in front of this computer tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2011 06:33PM by coco.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: April 11, 2011 09:55PM

I don't shave often - maybe my arm pits about twice a year - but I'm not very hairy. I think shaving your pubes is just down right weird. Also why do blokes want their women to look like pre-pubescent children - not right.

Is being hairless girly? Not in my opinion - more like child like.

But I also think the energy, to say nothing of the products, that are expended on this subject are way over the top. If we all had a bit more to do with our lives we wouldn't be so self obsessed. The time to worry about such ridiculous stuff is surely a luxury.

Don't all shout at me at once lol

Date: April 11, 2011 10:17PM

Shout out then? Word sister, Worrying about looks is a luxury indeed. Being able to do something about it? Pure self-indulgence.
I have a reusuable razor made out of recycled plastic bottles. Still had to be manufactured somewhere though.

Date: April 11, 2011 10:26PM

coco Wrote:
> I'm just scrubbly, no wookie action here winking smiley.
>
> When you go for laser treatments you only go every
> 2-4 months so a years worth isn't all that many.
> If you're doing a small area like chin, lip,
> nipple, partial bikini, that wouldn't be too
> expensive either. If you were going for full
> bikini line (front and back) or full bikini it
> would obviously cost more. And holy Maude, that
> would sting! And legs, well, that's going to be
> pricey and take a long time before you are
> completely done.
>
> I have to say though, for lots of people even a
> reduction of hair and a thinning and lightening of
> what remains is enough. I'd be happy with that on
> my legs and bikini.

I know all this coco, ive researched it in depth, when considering the possibility of transitioning, and it actually comes out as more expensive in the long run than electrolysis unless you are one of the few lucky ones, some people it works amazingly for, the best is supposedly a combo, get a laser treatment, then electrolysis, because when you get a laser treatment, the hairs grow back smaller within a few weeks, and the electrolysis has a much much higher permanent kill rate, so its both faster and safer to combine, but by itself, it is exceedingly rare for people to have positive results which can be confirmed...

Now, on to the more hilarious side of the conversation, hehehe... yes, my aversion to wookies, comes from the last woman I started to develop a sexual relationship with, we didnt end up making love, because I found out from our mutual friend that she had no intention of pursuing a relationship with me, she just wanted to lose her virginity to me and get it over with, then leave, and had been basically manipulating me the entire time... I asked her about it, she confirmed it was the truth and things ended there... but prior to this... when I first saw her naked when we went swimming, I found it funny, cause at least below the waist, she might as well have been wearing pants... not quite as bad on the legs... but yeah... average amount of hair dont bother me, but that much... I literally had to suppress the urge to make wookie sounds... I know I know,that sounds bad...lol... but I couldnt help it...I saw it, a wookie popped into my head...and I am quite good at making wookie sounds,lol...luckily I did not do it...lol

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: April 11, 2011 11:36PM

I can hear you doing it in my head right now though so good enough!

Electrolysis never worked for me, my mom either. We'll see how the lasering holds up over time winking smiley.

Date: April 11, 2011 11:55PM

did you use real electrolysis or one of those home kits? the home kits almost never work... both them and the home laser kits are scams...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: April 12, 2011 12:34AM

No, not a home kit, that's for suckers for sure. I went faithfully for many, many treatments. One salon, and then another. Both high end with great reputations too so it wasn't that they didn't know what they were doing or have good equipment. I knew a girl that did her armpits and had success though. Maybe that all grew back eventually too, who knows.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables