Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Ladies, do you shave?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 12, 2011 01:08AM

Anyone ever use an Epilady? I am a bit skeptical that it can really work.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Curator ()
Date: April 12, 2011 02:34AM

electrolysis by itself takes many years worth of treatments to be permanent, depending on the person (for genetic males that is) 200-400 total hours worth of treatments.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 12, 2011 11:45AM

Surely I'd have seen some sort of difference after a couple of years though...

As for the epilady, a friend had one but the pain level was just unreal. I don't know how anybody uses a thing like that, ouch. Better just to wax I'd say, or sugaring. There are recipes to make your own stuff at home and you can buy cotton muslin from a fabric store and cut strips yourself. Then it's inexpensive but time consuming and messy. If you find a friend who wants to do it to you can have a waxing party and help each other with hard to reach places (I mean on the legs here, not the bikini. Please see a professional for that!).

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 12, 2011 12:48PM

banana who,

"Anyone ever use an Epilady?"

Yes. And it works well. And oh my god the paaaaaaaiiiiiiiiin!

Shaving is a nuisance, but I'd rather shave than use that device again. Though Braun has supposedly improved on the "ergonomics" with their epilator, so I might give that a try. My mom had one and said it wasn't bad. But she had given brith, so maybe pain is relative.

Date: April 12, 2011 01:10PM

Just think of it like a hundred tweezers working at the same time to slowly pluck out all the hairs on your legs. I mean, really, that's a horror show! Better to quickly yank them all out at once in a big strip with wax, no? Then again, I am a bandaid-off-quick sort of girl.

Date: April 13, 2011 05:01AM

yeah, a couple years worth of treatments definitely should have shown some difference, it makes me wonder if the professional really even did electrolysis on you,lol... then again you probably know how it works, so would know if he was faking it... super tiny wire inserted next to the follicle kills hair follicle and all... you could be one of those few rare people ive heard of with super resilient hair,lol... which also means laser might not work either, but hey, its cheap, worth trying. it might work well for ya.

and yeah, the Epilady is pure torture...lol

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 13, 2011 06:05AM

u gotta wonder

evolution has not kept up

i mean, i can understand if it were the ice ages
and that is why people needed hair on their bodies
to stay warm

but then again
u would need MASSIVE amounts of hair to stay warm
the amt of hair on people probably would not cut it

so.. i'm wonderin

why we have hair on our bodies

except on our heads smiling smiley

it certainly isn't to keep us warm

if yo uare in chicago

and its like 50 below

i don't think that shaving or not shaving is gonna make the difference between keeping warm

anyhoo

still haven't heard a discussion

on the health effects of killing follicles at their roots

Date: April 13, 2011 06:20AM

Ive never actually heard of any drawback to killing hair follicles, except if the person screws up, it can cause minor scarring, which IS a problem for many...

as far as the usefulness of hair, at least when it comes to people with uhm, more profuse coverings, that go un trimmed, at least pubic hair could be used to help protect the genitals from both being damaged by the sun, and from the cold, although only so much... seems much more effective to protect the sensitive areas from sun than cold though, maybe that means we are all supposed to be naked in the tropics? winking smiley

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: April 13, 2011 12:55PM

Oh yes, electrolysis HURTS! You sure know when they are doing it right. The laser is not very painful, only sort of hot. Even after one treatment though I saw amazing results. If the hair all grows back at this rate I could go 2 or three times a year just to slow it down and it would cost less than waxing etc.

Ver, evolution doesn't work that way. A trait is only encouraged or discouraged if it affects survival. I think you'd be interested in some basic anthropology, actually I strongly encourage you to look up a text book or take Anth 101. I think you'd really enjoy it Ver, in fact, I know you would smiling smiley.

Date: April 13, 2011 07:53PM

wow, that sounds cool, the only friend I personally know who did the laser, had horrible blistering... laser also works best apparently for people with really light skin, and dark colored hair, the more contrast between the two, the more effective it is... so it may actually work quite well for you!

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: April 13, 2011 09:12PM

They have done so much work with it recently, there are lasers now for people with fair hair (never worked on anything other than dark hair before) and people with dark skin (didn't work well, often caused hyper-pigmentation, sometimes blistering and burns!) and also for gently breaking up old tattoo ink without any scarring or pigment changes to the skin (this one is amazing and I want it but it's too expensive).
I happen to have med-fair skin and dark hair so the original laser is perfect for me though the one they used is state of the art high end new technology. I've had laser facials that hurt about 10 times more, this was a total breeze. It was a very small area though so who knows, maybe I'd be crying my eyes out over work on the bikini. Maybe one day I'll find out.

It's funny that an ungirlie girl like me cares about or does any of this stuff but it's one of my only vanity related indulgences. What can I say, at nearly 40 I thought I'd treat myself to some spa treatments and after seeing my skin under the super bright magnifier I was ready to try anything, lol.

Date: April 13, 2011 10:03PM

hehe, this is curious, as there is a website for m2f trans dedicated just to hair removal, and there is no mention of this new laser technology anywhere one it... or any improvement really in the tech... but since you got it done, sounds pretty coolsmiling smiley

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: cy ()
Date: April 14, 2011 04:15AM

For more than 5 years now that I dry brush my body before bath and it is amazing because it helps to get rid of hair.Very cool.I don't have to shave too much or sometimes I don't shave at all my legs and arm pit.

Date: April 14, 2011 06:02AM

really? I wish it helped ME get rid of hair, maybe im using to soft of a brush??? anybody know an awesome brush thats cheap?

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables