Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

From the WTF?! Files:
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 11, 2011 02:28PM

[www.chicagotribune.com]

Looking at the pic, I could literally lose my lunch. I had NO idea what that "meal" item was supposed to be. So because some parents pack junk food items like soda and Flamin' Hotz in their kids' bags, CPS' brilliant solution is to ban ALL brown bagging?! And as I was reading some comments, a parent wrote that for vegetarian/vegan kids, this really affects them. And another poster replied that kids aren't vegetarians! Woefully (and possibly willfully) ignorant, that is my diagnosis...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: From the WTF?! Files:
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 11, 2011 02:36PM

What was that?! Puke on a plate is what it looked like, oh ugh.
This can't be anything other than a cash grab. WTF files is right.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 11, 2011 03:46PM

I thought I had read it wrong. I have worked in a school--the food they pass off as edible is mind-blowing (and stomach-churning). Lots of the kids are low-income and are already getting chubby, if not downright fat. They should be encouraging parents to pack their kids' lunches! I agree that there is a lot of ignorance on the part of parents packing junk instead of making wholesome foods. Perhaps there is some way to ensure that kids don't end up bringing soft drinks and junk snacks. I am just speechlesssad smiley

Date: April 11, 2011 06:29PM

We live in a good area with a great school but even there kids show up with chips, chocolate bars and blue "juice". They aren't supposed to bring junky food to school but no one seems to be enforcing that rule. The teachers themselves reward kids with "treats" that make me cringe, transfat laden gummy candies and waxy ugh chocolate picked on the Ivory coast by children younger than my 10 year old. Sad and disgraceful.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 11, 2011 06:44PM

welcome to america

Date: April 11, 2011 06:47PM

And Canada. It's a world-wide epidemic this feeding of garbage foods to children. And then people wonder why everyone is so sick. DUH!

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: April 11, 2011 10:29PM

Canada is part of America, hehehe...tongue sticking out smiley

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 11, 2011 11:04PM

What that idiot principal from the school said about the " . . . nutrition and the excellent quality food that they are able to serve (in the lunchroom) . . ." I hope brings the full wrath of Jamie Oliver's do-gooding down on her head! Please, let his producers at ABC have seen this, pleeeeeeeeeeeze! And lo, he shall smite them with his spoons, yea.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2011 11:05PM by Tamukha.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: April 12, 2011 12:01AM

hahahahaha <3

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: April 12, 2011 04:38PM

Yea I guess SOME school food is better than what a kid would bring from home.
But to BAN a kid from being able to bring carrot and celery sticks and avacado dip and a smoothie?????
Yea,then it does belong in the WTF category!
Just sounds like another ploy for the schools to make money!!!!

Vinny

Date: April 12, 2011 05:49PM

My son tells me his classmate brings the same thing to school every day which he proceeds to eat at snack so he has nothing at 12:30. An uncooked package of ramen noodles. I would send something extra in my boy's lunch but apparently he doesn't like much so what to do? I know he goes to after school care, I can only hope they offer a healthy snack of some sort. Sigh.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables