Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

better than a thermos? for storing homemade juices?
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 29, 2011 06:44AM

i was wondering if anyone could improve on the thermos for storing juices and taking them with me

i want something that is glass ( wide mouth i could clean)

and i could put them in my hand bag ( i have different sizes of hand bags. one of them is larger than the rest)

i was thinking mason jars but actually don't have any experience in how reliable the latch is etc.

so far, i've used thermos ( but it didn't seem like it kept my veggie juices cold.. it just seemed lukewarm so i'm giving up on thermos cuz i don't think it makes a difference)

i have also just cleaned out the glass kombucha bottle i got ( diameter on top is like an inch or so ..)

problem with that is that it is kinda hard to clean out

i want to be able to put my hands through and use a sponge to clean it out

either that or maybe someone could give me more advice on where to get better cleaning devices to get ALL the veggie juice out..

okay.. and if u know of any well known stores where i can get them, lemme know too

or websites etc.

thanks!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: better than a thermos? for storing homemade juices?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 29, 2011 02:35PM

There's no "latch" on mason jars (I assume you mean the ring and seal) but I have found them very leak-proof, which is why I prefer using them to other devices. The problem is the glass. Once I had a mason jar full of yummy young coco water,stuck it in the mesh side pocket of my backpack and when I got on the train, I threw down my bag. Uh oh! The glass smashed on the ground! Funny, I was just thinking of an idea for a "juice feasting bag" which would be some insulated bag with individual pockets for mason jarswinking smiley

Posted by: veghunter ()
Date: April 29, 2011 03:31PM

Have you try putting an ice cube or two in your thermos of juice to help keep it cold?

Date: April 29, 2011 05:02PM

Date: April 30, 2011 07:20AM

hey banana who

thanks for the heads up
yeah, that is an onerous danger ( having glass break in yer backpack as you set it down with a THUD)

very true... but i prefer glass to plastic... maybe if i go the glass route, i'll just have to be EXTRA mindful and maybe even cushion it or something
or just set it down softly and gently

oh.. i didn't know mason jars had no latches ( goes to show you that i'm no mason jar scholar... shuckssmiling smiley

hey that's a cool stanley link
thanks

i got a stanely once but then the lid got kinda twisted and it started leaking out so i think i chucked it

but i think i'll have a go at it again
i'll just have to be more careful this time

mighty thanks againsmiling smiley

veghunter

hey... an ice cube or two is a good idea
for some reason, i don't mind lukewarm when i JUST made it
straight from the juice machine and into my blood

but when its been sitting there for like 2 hours
the same lukewarm just ... kind of makes me feel bleehhh

so an ice cube or two outta do the trick.. great idea grinning smiley

thanks all for your time and suggestions
hugely appreciated !

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: April 30, 2011 02:39PM

put the thermos in the freezer overnight usually helps smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 30, 2011 08:37PM

I have this bottle, it keeps things blisteringly hot for hours and hours on end so I'm sure it would work brilliantly with cold stuff. Barring that, You can buy cold packs and line an insulated container for your flask/bottle/whatever with them, that will keep stuff cold all day long and the insulated sleeve will keep condensation away from the other things you're carrying around in your bag.
[www.lavishandlime.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2011 08:38PM by coco.

Date: April 30, 2011 10:48PM

The only problem with that, Coco, is that it's got a narrow opening. LAV wanted to put juices in there (maybe smoothies, too?). I guess juices are clean-rinsing but thicker liquids require a wider mouth.

Date: May 01, 2011 12:52AM

The opening is not that narrow, there are actually 2 lids. A very small one for pouring out into another container and then the whole top comes off. I find it comfortable to drink straight out of. It's a good one, I've tried a few before this one.

Date: May 01, 2011 12:55AM

Ah...I see...I got confused with top thingie. How many oz. is 350 ml.? Oh, probably about 16, I am thinking...I wonder if they come in 20 oz.

Date: May 01, 2011 05:01AM

750 ml so about 20 oz. Not big enough for those gigantic smoothies some people favour but that is too much for me so this thing is way big enough.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: May 01, 2011 11:42PM

It would be nice if they still made cobalt mason jars:

I bought a cobalt beer bottle with a wire top for $5 like this:

For high end, you could try (click on bottle):

Date: May 03, 2011 02:15PM

jgunn cool idea for maybe fruit juices.. never thought about freezing veggie juices though.. hmmmm..

coco

if i got one of those, could i clean it out with a sponge ( hand held)
it looks cool

prana

thanks for the pic of the cool blue bottles ( esp. the wide mouthed ones since i can clean them out and scrub the veggie pulps out by hand) ... the jars look nifty
my question is : are the mason jars able to hold the liquid in and not drip out if it ends up upside down in a purse?

Posted by: vermontnl ()
Date: May 03, 2011 02:46PM

I do not think cobalt is a good thing in my body. I prefer brown bottles. I sometimes buy beer that is made in a brown bottle (I do not drink beer) just for the bottle with the bailing wire top. Also, one can buy brown glass.

[www.homebrewery.com]

Date: May 03, 2011 04:00PM

Yes, I tell you! As I said earlier, I find them very leak-proof. Just the other day I put a Ball jar in my backpack loose and forgot about it. It bounced all around and upside down and I was blown away to find that it hadn't leaked. Can't say the same about plastic screwcap reuseable containers for liquid. Even coffee travel mugs have leaked on me. Try it out for yourself and see!

Date: May 03, 2011 07:18PM

Glass will not leach anything into your food or drink, it doesn't matter the colour. Glass is inert, ask a hot glass artist.

Ver, I generally just rinse it out with hot water and dish soap but I will sometimes jam a sponge or a cloth in there and squoosh it around with a chopstick. You can buy a bottle brush for a buck at any dollar store and they work just fine though, best thing for cleaning jars and bottles in my opinion.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables