Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Vegan's Choice Threads In general and men's wallets
Posted by: pborst ()
Date: May 03, 2011 05:12PM

I am proposing to solicit "Vegan's Choice" threads for non-food or food equipment items (we have other forums for these) for goods and services that offer, in your opinion the best vegan option in your experience (i.e. based on things you have tried). These can include but are not limited to shoes, backpacks, wallets, jackets, clothing, home projects, building materials, books & reviews, transportation (cars, scooters), etc.

The general principles underlying a Vegan Choice thread are: the item reviewed is vegan (i.e. not made of animal products or incurring suffering of animals in the process, fair trade if possible, eco-friendly, lightest carbon footprint if possible, natural materials generally preferred over synthetic.), performs well for its function, is either inexpensive or cost-effective in terms of durability, other. Other is whatever you think make's worthy of a Vegan's Choice designation. Also, you should have considered at least one other vegan product in order to make a comparison and discuss the comparison in your post.

Other posters are then invited to critique your post and present their own Vegan's Choice for the item being reviewed. How does that sound?

Ok, so I will get the ball rolling with men's wallets. And my proposed candidate is the "smallet" marketed by Duluth Trading Company. [www.duluthtrading.com] These are small inexpensive ($12.50 + shipping) wallets that feature two pockets for credit cards on one side, one pocket on the other side and a large opening in the middle for folded bills.

The color is black (no alternatives) and the material is ballistic nylon (like cordura but stronger). I've had one for 7 years now that has outlived it's hemp equivalent (stiching, the hemp itself was still in good condition).

Downsides on the smallet are limited color selection (Henry Ford's Model T comment you can have any color as long as you want as long as it's black). Also, being made of ballistic nylon rather than hemp or another natural fabric is a downside.

Upsides, at $12.50 it's dirt cheap even compared to any vegan alternative for a comparable wallet (moneyclips excepted). The construction is strong and light. The smallet is 4.5" x 2.75" making it disappear in your pocket. It's durable, much more so than either hemp or the microfiber Big Skinny wallet which I love and would be my second choice. [www.bigskinny.net]. Big skinny wallets are great full size wallets if you don't like the minimalist approach of the smallet. The microfiber construction is also synthetic but like the smallet well built, just not as durable.

What about hemp? Plenty of good hemp wallets out there. [www.rawganique.com]. And if they held to together as well as my smallet, no problem. I just haven't had that luck. Note: I did not buy my hemp wallet from rawganique, so quality on hemp wallets may vary.

Your thoughts?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2011 05:19PM by pborst.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Vegan's Choice Threads In general and men's wallets
Posted by: vermontnl ()
Date: May 04, 2011 12:19PM

I prefer natural materials over plastics, which had when the petroleum was originally extracted raped the earth. Go for the hemp or other plant based material (canvas).

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 04, 2011 02:23PM

This thread is a good idea, Paul. I am not a man, and use an old silver cigarette case gotten second-hand for a wallet, but I'm sure I'll find this useful when buying a gift in future. Thanks! smiling smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 04, 2011 02:41PM

There is a company called moo shoes that makes vegan foot wear, pretty cute styles too.
As for everything else, since I buy second hand I don't mind much what things are made out of. Durable, good fit and in good shape are my requirements.

Date: May 04, 2011 02:46PM

Vermontnl, thanks. I agree with you other things being equal, natural trumps synthetic. Still, I tend to think life-cycle. If the synthetic's durability outperforms the natural equivalent, I may actually have a lighter carbon footprint. That said, I can understand from an ethical perspective you prefer natural/hemp or canvas. I do as well. And I find that the stitching on most of the hemp wallets I've bought is a weak point. But I agree if you are going just by extraction costs, hemp looks much better than petroleum.

Tamara, thanks. Let's do women's wallets and purses next! Anyone want to volunteer???

Date: May 04, 2011 03:11PM

I make my own purses and wallets, I can used salvaged fabric from old worn out clothes for so many things too so it's all very low impact. Right now I'm working on a large blanket for our bed (we need a bigger one now that both kids are sleeping with me every night) out of our old tshirts and fleece clothes. The shirts are all cotton but the fleece is generally made out of recycled plastic bottles. I don't know if the environmental impact of that sort of manufacturing offsets the impact of less landfill though. It's the best thing I can do when considering a purchase since I have the skills to make lots of my own stuff. I opt for handmade whenever possible, by myself or another crafter. ETSY is one site that has lots of options.

What is it that this thread is about exactly? Is it strictly product comparison with specific products and companies? Or just where to get vegan stuff that might be natural materials, low impact etc?

Date: May 04, 2011 05:12PM

Coco,

I am proposing that we have one vegan item per thread to allow us to focus on what is the best vegan alternative for each thread so we can compare notes. I'd add a thread for the best women's wallet but my gender disqualifies me. lol.

Paul

Date: May 04, 2011 05:28PM

A-Ha, I get it. I can't contribute much I'm afraid, not unless you want to shop at my store! (I don't actually have one though)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables