Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Not impressed anymore
Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: August 16, 2011 08:20PM

I have finally come back to my city I would like to call home again. I am really kind of disappointed in a way. It doesn't seem as fun as I remember, and its gotten really expensive. I am also envious of all the wealth, and thinking gosh how hard will I have to work to get a cool bathroom?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Not impressed anymore
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 16, 2011 08:53PM

Mislu,

You know we will all want to know what city you are talking about, right?

If the general culture is one of rampant materialism, you are going to have to make your peace with that, unfortunately. Although, there must be some district where people think and live differently, no?

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: August 17, 2011 02:33PM

I can sorta relate.
The town where I grew up isnt the same as it was,and I couldnt ever afford a house back there.
Where I am now reminds me of where I grew up back in the 70's.

Vinny

Date: August 19, 2011 12:05AM

Yes its San Francisco, CA. Probably the most expensive city to live in the U.S. except for maybe NYC or LA. I was all pumped up for being back 'home' until I was flipping through a vanity fair magazine or what not, and looked at the cool apartments and bathroom photos. I also went out to eat with my partner, and we spend way too much money on a meal. I got depressed thinking about how much money I will have to earn to be accepted here. I guess its to be part of the 'cool' crowd. But I don't need to be.

I have breakfast with a nice lady every morning. An old friend of my partner, she doesn't care if have a marble bathtube that fills from the ceiling. So i guess not everyone who lives here cares about that.

Date: August 19, 2011 12:11AM

Yes, she buys us breakfast every morning, and it costs her about $16, as part of an additional food service she has at the first floor of her assisted living arrangement. I am so grateful for it, I feel at home, and am not worried about what impression I make. It wasn't until i went to SPQR that i realized what a gem she really is.

Reminds me of something else. My partner was looking for an old research associate at one of the local hospitals. In the waiting room I saw an elderly woman combing her hair looking in a framed glass poster. I was just laughing, and she walked toward me. (she noticed me looking at her) I told her she looked faboulus. She was worried about what her brother would think of her hair. I thought my god, If I was on my death bed in the hospital I would welcome any visitor! I just kept saying she looked wonderful, don't worry. She seemed very happy that i said that. Maybe she was just trying to take her mind off of his condition, I don't know. It felt good saying that to her however.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 21, 2011 07:11PM

I lived there for a while over 10 years ago, right after the dot-com bubble burst so there was some financial desperation in the city at that time and lots of the artists and other creative types had been driven out by high prices. It's certainly an interesting place to be, many wonderful murals, outside art and natural beauty. There is much temptation to shop, so much wonderful, interesting and desirable "stuff". My trick is to appreciate it all without needing to bring it home with me. I have gotten to the point where an empty space is more relaxing to me than anything else. Maybe a plant and a fish to dress it up and change the energy nicely. And the thing about SF is that you can go out and be in an interesting and beautifully decorated space anytime you want to see that or be with friends in that sort of setting.
It is lovely that you have a friend to share a meal with every day, that's such a blessing. That is the sort of enviable wealth that really matters, the rest of it is just flash and not worth much in the end. Do you know that saying about friends?
"Make new friends but keep the old. One is Silver, the other Gold." Perhaps what would satisfy you and relieve the feeling of seeking is connection with other like minded people? That's a worthy pursuit, and FREE! smiling smiley

Date: August 21, 2011 07:27PM

Well I take it back. I am impressed. Especially with my friend that provided breakfast for us both during our stay there. The vaccation is over, and I am back on the east coast. I really miss it. This doesn't feel like home...sf does.

I just wish I could afford it!

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: August 27, 2011 05:06AM

Mislu-- check out affordable housing there. SF is similar to Cambridge, and I bet there is a lot of really nice (good & cheap) state and federal housing there for people under a certain income level. There's no shame involved-- I have so many wonderful friends who are either on a waiting list or already in this type of housing. In Cambridge a lot of nurses, firemen, teachers and policemen are on the waiting list to get into Cambridge Housing Authority apartments, because Cambridge, like San Francisco, is extremely expensive and food and other costs are higher than other areas of the country.

If you want to be in San Fran, I say DO IT! I'm sure you can find suitable housing; you deserve it! :-)

XOXO

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 27, 2011 01:14PM

Hi, Kwan! grinning smiley

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: August 28, 2011 12:19AM

Hi Tam!! I've been dropping by again lately-- missed you guys.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables