Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What sort of fibers do you wear?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 05, 2011 12:39AM

Cotton is terrible for cold weather and synthetics are, well, not natural so that leaves us with linen, hemp, bamboo, and animal fibers. How do you feel about things like alpaca and wool? I will buy anything second hand and have a few vintage wool cardigans, our cousin has a couple of sheep and spins her own yarn, I'm not above taking a ruined old sweater apart and making it into something else either. I love the feel of fur but can't use second hand fur coats because they are fuzzy coats of sadness but I will buy second hand silk. I'm thinking about this lately because I buy the kids new (to us) clothes every season, they grow out of everything so quickly and I'd rather dress them in natural stuff than spun plastic.

What are you wearing this winter?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What sort of fibers do you wear?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: November 05, 2011 01:32AM

I wear everything except fur and down (although I will buy used down). I don't like pure wool; it's too scratchy. I love alpaca because it's soft and warm. For sweaters I like acrylic! I know it's not "natural" but it doesn't feel slimy like polyester but it's warm and soft.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: November 05, 2011 02:42PM

Cotton, wool, old fleece(won't buy any more). I won't buy fur or silk, and sustainably derived bamboo is becoming rarer, so I anticipate problems with buying warm clothes in the future. I do try to focus on buying natural fibers secondhand, like at the Salvation Army, and having the garment tailored by a seamstress or tailor. I love organic cotton, but it's hard to find and costly. My unmentionables I try to keep organic cotton.

I got the Land's End catalog for this season yesterday, and OMG the deadly Polartec Fleece! "Ben . . . There's a great future in plastics."

Buying clothes from natural materials for northern climate wear is tricky, for sure.

Date: November 05, 2011 06:37PM

Tam, you won't buy silk even second hand? I draw the line at fur because it really does make me feel very sad. Also because I wouldn't like to refashion it into a different garment that encourages the purchasing of new fur. But silk, I'm always happy to rescue that from a thrift store line up. It's so wonderful for layering for warmth.

Date: November 05, 2011 10:15PM

I had a silk turtleneck from L. L. Bean once that is supposed to be for layering. It felt like polyester to me; kind of cool and slimy. Tam, what is "deadly" about fleece? I love it! Warm and snugglysmiling smiley

Date: November 06, 2011 12:48AM

banan who,

It's made of plastic, and it's proliferating--that which used to be made of cotton or wool is now being made of Polartec because it's dirt cheap production and labor-wise, and can reap a huge markup for the distributor of garments made from it. It isn't biodegradable, it can't be fully recycled(even though much of it is from recyled plastics), it pills horribly after a short while, and god knows what sort of lung ailments the industrial workers making it in Cambodia or wherever ail from because of breathing it in. I hate it, I hate all plastics, but especially hate the practice of using plastics in clothing.

coco,

I would gladly buy peace silk, which is humanely harvested, and did buy silk when I was younger. I'll wear silk that I already have or inherited, but I won't buy any new, as I think the creation of it is an abomination. Peace silk does tend to come from Asian women's co-ops, so that's another good reason to look for it, but I am alarmed at the greenwashing silk has undergone thanks to otherwise scrupulous companies like Gaiam and Viva Terra: Their clothing and jewelry lines increasingly feature conventional silks, and I'm sorry, anything that requires the torture of a living thing to make it isn't earth friendly!

Date: November 06, 2011 01:03AM

I wouldn't buy it new either, I will hardly buy anything new! But second hand is OK with me for wool and silk, even leather for belts and shoes though I don't really like buying second hand shoes. And I have a used down coat that is the warmest thing I've ever worn, couldn't stand to buy that new no-way no-how.
I'm not a fan of polartec fleece either but it's recommended over cotton for cold weather wearing. It's hard to find things to wear in the winter.

Date: November 06, 2011 01:17AM

Tam, I must have the "good stuff" when it comes to the fleece because I have jackets that don't pill. The other aspects you mention I was not aware of.

Date: November 06, 2011 12:29PM

I use a lot of second hand polar fleece for crafts, some of those garments would never be worn again they are so ugly... They don't pill, they make fantastic monsters.

I prefer old wool sweaters though, those make some awesome stuffies.

Date: November 06, 2011 01:46PM

Huh, could I be getting cut rate Polar Fleece? ARRRRRRGHHHHH!

The problem for me is the hide products. I don't want to buy synthetic vegan shoes anymore, because they, like PolarTec, are made from petroleum byproducts. But I cannot buy new leather or suede or whatever. It's a problem in a climate that's cold and wet half the year!

Date: November 06, 2011 02:05PM

Tam, that's a really hard call. I do have leather shoes, I have very high arches so many years ago invested in great quality shoes that I've had and worn since then. When they can't be repaired anymore and need replacing I'm going to have to figure out what to do, until then I'll keep taking care of this 2 pair to make them last as long as possible winking smiley.

Date: November 06, 2011 07:18PM

Aha, I found the article on keeping warm in winter. Here is it:

Cold Weather Clothing and Staying Warm

Cold Weather clothing should be worn in this order .
( No Cotton Period ) Under Armor™ , Nylons, Tights, Spandex Synthetic or 100% Wool fabrics Only ( Read your labels)

- Long sleeve nylon /polyester shirt/pants (Compression Fit) or
- Micro Fleece, long sleeve shirt/pants
- Fleece Hoodie or Wool Sweater/pants
- Outer Shell Breathable Gortex ™ or Similar ( Should be 1 size bigger)

Note : Keep in mind that there are synthetics (polyester ) materials that should only be used for Warm/Hot weather. Trial and Error may apply here.

Feet

- Nylon or Polyester socks (Dress socks)
- 100% Wool Socks, 1-2 pairs
- Pak or Snow Boot ( NO Rubber Boots, NO Running Shoes)
- Boots should not be Tight. Warm happens by trapping air in between layers. If your boots are too tight, there will be less trapped air, thus your feet will get cold faster
- There is also a difference between “Snow or Pak” boots and winter boots that are meant for slushy wet conditions. Pak boots are generally not waterproof and should not be subjected to slushy wet conditions.
- Boots should be Breathable and or have a membrane such as Gortex

Layering with proper materials like Synthetic fabrics as well as Natural materials such as Wool allow the moisture to be wicked away from your skin and into the next layer of clothing where it can evaporate.

Keeping the layers that are close to your skin moisture free will keep you warm. Evaporation has a cooling effect.
The further away from your body evaporation takes place the warmer you will be.

Layering clothing also traps air.. It is the trapped air in between those layers which will keep you warm, just as the insulation in the walls of your home..

The Breathable Outer Shell will not only allow the moisture to escape those layers, it will also prevent Wind and rain from coming in.. If the moisture gets trapped, the insulation value will be lost and you will get cold.

This is why it’s not a good idea to wear a non breathable coat, such as a rubber rain coat (Slicker) or Rubber boots. The moisture gets trapped, the fibers in your clothing hold that moisture and you get cold.

Gortex™ or other types of Breathable membranes allow moisture to escape, while keeping wind and rain out. The membrane is breathable in only one direction, Out.

Fibers such as Fleece, made from Polypropylene absorb very little moisture, thus anything they absorb easily evaporates. Damp Fleece can be air dried outside granted it isn’t extreme cold.

Sheep’s wool has the ability to hold heat even when wet. So a Wet wool sweater is warmer than a wet cotton sweater. ( No Cotton)

We have a saying in Wilderness survival.. “ Cotton Kills”.
Under Armor™ is now using the slogan “ Cotton is the Enemy™”.

It’s cotton’s ability to hold moisture is what makes you feel cold and clammy in the spring and fall.

To properly Trap air, no wind should enter. Jackets should be zipped up All the way, cuff and waist should not be loose, Hoods Up and buttoned when standing still. You want to Trap and hold as much air as possible in your clothing.

On many Outer shells you will find Pit Zippers as well as Breast pockets and side pockets that are actually vents. Some may have a back vent as well .

These should be open when walking or working and closed when standing still. If you’ve seen pictures of people digging snow caves in their T shirts, it’s so that they Don’t Sweat.. In the winter,, Sweat is Dangerous, and has the potential to kill you.

The trick to staying warm in the winter is to avoiding sweating… If you are too warm, you will sweat.. If you do too much activity and don’t properly vent, you will sweat. Evaporation is what causes you to become cold, and the fabric cannot trap air as well.. Vent and Layer down when working.

Hats, Gloves, Mittens, Scarves and Hoods

The Exact same materials should be used for All of the above, as should the principals of keeping them dry

Mittens are better than Gloves and will keep your hands warmer
Both mittens and Gloves should have a breathable but waterproof or resistant outer shell

I carry several different types of both gloves and mittens.. A pair to work in is a good way to keep your main Mitts dry.

Never put wet hands into your mitts, and do not expose the mitts to undo wetness

Keeping your hat on and hood up will keep you much warmer then without.. The hood will protect your head from Convection heat loss
An old saying that really works..

“If you have cold feet, put a hat on”

Fleece neck gators are also a good way to keep your neck warm and stop drafts going down your back…

Mechanisms of Heat Loss

1. Conduction

Is the Transfer of heat from one object to another. If you sit on a log in the winter. The Heat will transfer from your body to the log. So in fact your body is getting colder, and the log is getting warmer. This will continue until both your body and the log even out in temperature.

The way to slow this process down is to insulate yourself from the cold object. The Higher the insulation value, the slower the process will be.

This can also work for you in reverse.. If you have ever felt the driving heat coming off of a brick wall or road in the evening . The sun has been heating the wall or road all day. When the sun goes down, the wall now sheds that heat. This is also called radiation. If you are cold, and press your body against the wall, the heat will conduct back to your body. If you stand it front of the wall, it will radiate heat to your body.

In the wilderness a large rock or rock wall will also transfer heat through conduction .

2. Evaporation

When water changes from a liquid to a gas it requires heat to do so, and lowers the temperature of the surface where this change happens.

You don’t want that change from liquid to gas to happen next to or on your skin, as it cools the surface. You want the change to take place in the outer layers of your clothing, where it will less effect, your body temperature.

One must control the amount of evaporation that takes place by venting when hot, and closing the gaps when cold to preserve heat.

Sweating in the cold and getting your clothes wet is one of the best ways to get Hypothermia in the winter. Hypothermia happens when the core body temperature lowers to the point where the body cannot produce enough heat to catch up… This can happen very quickly and suddenly. It is important to know the symptoms and be able to spot the symptoms in others.

Hypothermia is one of those things that unless trained you won’t know that you have it, until it’s too late.
It should be noted that in Cold and Extreme Cold conditions Dehydration can happen even faster than it can in the summer.

In Cold weather, when a breath is taken the body has to hydrate that air, so it takes moisture from the mouth, throat and lungs, Hydrates that air, then when you exhale, you expel that hydrated air. You’ve just lost body fluids. You also lose moisture through Sweating… These fluids need to be replaced…

The proper way to do this is by drinking fluids that are Warmer than your body temperature.
If you eat snow for instance.. The body has to burn calories to bring that water to the same temperature , thus cooling the body. Pre heat the fluids first and the body doesn’t have to catch up.

Cold vs. Heat is a game of calories. If chasing a rabbit cost you 600 calories, but only yields 400 calories, you are at a 200 calorie loss.

3. Convection

Convection is similar to Conduction as above, however convection happens when the environment is colder than the object, passes over it and leaves. A prefect example of that would be sleeping in a hammock in cold weather.. Air passing by the hammock literally blows the heat away from you…

In a hammock this is even worse because it is happening both from the top and bottom.

A Breathable, but Windproof jacket protects against this. It does not allow the wind into your clothing to blow it way.

This can also work in your favor if it is hot, and a breeze or wind cools you…

A good example of Convection is blowing on a mug of Hot Chocolate to cool it down.

Keep your coat zipped up and your hat on to protect from Convection

4. Radiation

We basically covered Radiation above….

Radiation is anything where energy is transferred from one object to the other where there is no contact…

Standing in front of a fire, the fire radiates heat to you…
The sun radiates heat on a rock wall, and you sleep next to that wall, the wall will now release that heat and radiate the heat back to you. A fire can also radiate heat to the rocks, then reflect it back to you..

The sun Radiates heat to you every day.

5. Respiration

You inhale in Cold Dry air and expel moist warm air.

In extreme Cold weather you may wear a cold weather mask. Moisture and warm air is caught in the mask on exhale, and then some of it is recaptured on inhale. Same concept of putting a scarf over your mouth and nose.. Extreme cold, dry air can damage and irritate the lungs. It is this irritation to the lung that allows bacteria to attach itself, and this is where chest infections and colds start..

It is not the cold air that causes it, but helps it to happen.

Under no circumstances should you tuck your head into your jacket and inhale/exhale. Inhaling the warm air is Ok,, but do not exhale back into your jacket.. you will only create more moisture inside your clothing.

Understanding how these principals work will keep you warm and dry in even the harshest of climates

Eric E. Noeldechen
1st and 2nd Harrow Scouting
Harrow Venture Scout Advisor

© 2010 O/ST Productions (Please Distribute . Permission is given for non profit reproduction of this file Only) This document is a work in progress.

Date: November 06, 2011 08:44PM

coco,

This was useful but . . . more synthetics![writhing around in disgust]

Also, I involuntarily laughed at "Cotton kills!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2011 08:45PM by Tamukha.

Posted by: vermontnl ()
Date: November 06, 2011 09:37PM

I wear silk underneath and wool over in the winter. I also get most of my stuff 2nd hand or hand-me-down. I cannot wear synthetic material. I do use leather boots. There are meat eaters out there, for me it's better to use the whole animal instead of waste it.

Date: November 06, 2011 09:53PM

I know it Tam, I'm trying to stay with natural fibers as much as possible but what's available is mostly cotton! LOL, great for summer anyhow.

Vermontnl, it's a compromise I make but not one I'm all that comfortable with is you know what I mean. One of those niggly little things that irritates my brain even when I try to justify it away.

Date: November 06, 2011 09:59PM

Vermontnl: LOL- that's my rationale, too! I also say to myself that the glue on many non-leather shoes is made with animal by-products, rubber also...It's really pretty easy these days to find shoes not made of leather, compared to the past. However, I will admit to having bought leather shoes in the last ten years (I don't buy shoes too often in general). I refuse to buy a leather coat, though. I think it's excessive leather and I am not a fan of animal hides and fur anyhow. I just think that leather is breathable compared to manmade and my feet do sweat, especially in the colder weather, which makes them cold. For instance, right now I can feel that my feet are damp and I have non-leather gym shoes on.

Posted by: Diogenez ()
Date: November 07, 2011 07:50AM

tencel
rayon
cotton
hemp

Date: November 07, 2011 02:19PM

Basic Principles of Lyocell Fiber Production — Raw cellulose is directly dissolved in an amine oxide solvent. The solution is filtered, extruded into an aqueous bath of dilute amine oxide, and coagulated into fiber form.
[www.afma.org]

Rayon: "A manufactured fiber composed of regenerated cellulose, in which substituents have replaced not more than 15% of the hydrogens of the hydroxyl groups. Basic Principles of Rayon Fiber Production — In the production of rayon, purified cellulose is chemically converted into a soluble compound. A solution of this compound is passed through the spinneret to form soft filaments that are then converted or “regenerated” into almost pure cellulose. Because of the reconversion of the soluble compound to cellulose, rayon is referred to as a regenerated cellulose fiber."
[www.fibersource.com]

Both of these use chemical processes. I do not want to support that personally.

Date: November 07, 2011 03:05PM

Is it better to wear synthetic fleece though? It's recycled plastic but you bet it uses chemicals to process it. So does everything, cotton, linen, flax, everything. Unless you're harvesting, spinning, dyeing, weaving, knitting etc your own things or directly know the person who is, chances are good that toxics were part of the productions process.

Posted by: Diogenez ()
Date: November 07, 2011 03:28PM

i forgot 1 nubuck (shoes)

Date: November 09, 2011 02:25AM

that is why wool is so cool, or should I say warm; cut, wash, card, spin, weave or felt.

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: November 25, 2011 02:26AM

coco- cotton is warm when you layer it! even a flimsy tank underneath will add a warm layer, or a t-shirt under a flannel type material - cozy and comfy in layers (i used to live in vermont) the best sweater i ever had was a medium thick 100% cotton fisherman sweater. wool for outerwear.

Date: November 25, 2011 05:40AM

vermontnl, if I find wool, silk or even sometimes leather at the thrift store I'll buy it or if my cousin sheers her sheep and makes something I'll buy that but unless I know where it came from and how the sheep were treated it's off my list (to purchase it new anyhow).

I find cotton in layers just fine but have never spend a great deal of time out in frigid temps or camped overnight in winter. So far so good but just in case...

Posted by: cy ()
Date: November 26, 2011 04:22PM

I have many cotton t-shirts that I use underneath of wool or alpaca.I like it a lot.

I was having problems with my feet and hands.They were cold all the time no matter what I was wearing.I found out that I have a hormone (hypothyroidism) problem.
Not only cold hands and feet but dry hair,bad digestion,weight gain no matter what I was eating,very tired all the time.
Now I'm having a lot of kelp and it is helping me with my temperature.My hands and feet and even my body are getting warmer.
I found out with Brigitte Mars that hormone has a psychologic side and I'm getting
sun on my neck,and I'm not wearing too much scarf all the time to let my neck breath.

So,in my case my cold was much more of a "psychologic" problem and lack of kelp.

Date: November 27, 2011 12:48AM

I eat lots of kelp and have thyroid tests yearly but that's not it, I think I'm cold because I'm thin. I wear a lot of layers, it was a big joke in high school that it took me so long to go or leave a place because I had to get all 8 layers off or on, lol.

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: November 28, 2011 10:15PM

i like rayon, tencel, and modal too. i think those are all bamboo derivatives, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: November 29, 2011 03:44PM

i was thinking Latex wellington for the crappy weather .. instead of the regular oil-based rubber boots [www.twenga.co.uk]

they come in some nice pretty styles smiling smiley

this looks like a pretty thoughtfull list of vegan alternatives [www.vrg.org]

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2011 03:52PM by Jgunn.

Date: November 29, 2011 04:24PM

It seems the Brits are out ahead of us North Americanos on this . . .

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: November 29, 2011 04:28PM

where is latex (trees) grown primarly . for some reason i have in my head africa .. or maybe south america?

ohhh hmmm ..asia .. interesting

and found this neat little article smiling smiley [www.glovenation.com]

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2011 04:32PM by Jgunn.

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: December 09, 2011 08:08AM

I've been reading about "Quantum Touch" which is about "running energy" to places in the body that need healing and it says that leather will disrupt the flow of the energy so you should remove any leather when doing energy work. They think that leather will absorb energy as though it was an energy heatsink and as though it were trying to come back to life.
[quantumtouch.groupee.net]
Spooky.

Here's the book and he says that wool and silk don't block the energy flow, at least for him, but that polyester and leather do. Isn't polyester dead dinosours?

[books.google.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2011 08:10AM by tropical.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables