Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: What sort of fibers do you wear?
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 09, 2011 09:48PM

tropical,

Isn't polyester dead dinosaurs?

Shhhh, don't tell anyone . . . they think it's made from unicorn breath smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: December 10, 2011 02:04PM

i never thought of that. dinosaur sludge, interesting. still, regardless of it's ancient history, plastics can be know toxins, aren't they? I'm sorry but it's like wrapping yourself in a plastic bag. yuck. I'm sorry because i like how polyester doesn't wrinkle. maybe ten percent really is okay.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 11, 2011 03:08PM

While I appreciate the quality of stretch denim, the addition of 10% poly apparently renders otherwise natural fabric non-biodegradable. Sad that.

Date: December 11, 2011 03:51PM

coco,

It is all but impossible to find unadulterated denim nowadays. The stretchy matter is often Lycra, which I am avoiding because it's a Koch product, but it's almost ubiquitous.

When did this happen?!

Date: December 12, 2011 02:38PM

polyester thread will degrade eventually. they like get all dried up and kind of turn to dust. the thread mind you, not so fast with the fabric. i think it just takes a really long time. maybe they recycle it sometimes.

Date: December 12, 2011 05:21PM

I don't think it's very recyclable. I know the thrift store nearby sends clothing etc that can't be sold here to 3rd world countries for sale there, anything too destroyed gets made into rags and sold to auto body shops and the like. It would be nice to think that the completely unusable fiber could be made into paper goods but if it's not all natural fiber... to the dump it goes. And then there are people who throw things away when they no longer want them, if they've gotten stained or faded or a seam is unraveling. There is a lot of waste inherent in the sort of massive consumerism that's the norm these days. We were in the US this weekend and stopped at a Target (a chain that has recently bought out an old Canadian company and is moving here now) and the store was overwhelmingly stuffed with endless temptation. Cheap goods of all kinds, irresistible to most. I certainly felt myself being drawn in but after about 5 minutes it was nothing but nauseating to me. I found some shoe polish that was on my shopping list and hurried out the door. It's hard for me to imagine that for some people that's a relaxing adventure. Yuck.

Date: December 12, 2011 05:42PM

Ha-ha, coco! My sis-in-law, who studied fashion and textile design(and used to work for a supplier of Target), has refered to Target as the "up-market Walmart." ! How very low standards have dropped, eh?

I have been to Target three times in my life, and have bought one thing each time, and it was something I could not find elsewhere and was made in China[as an aside, no one in North America makes odd size silver picture frames? No one?]. I will never go into Target again if I can help it; every purchase made there destroys my country's economy. I refuse to be a party to this anymore.

I never saw a Walmart ad on CBC until a year ago, and can't remember the last time I saw a Canadian Tire ad. Canadians will find out soon enough that you cannot have a thriving native manufacturing sector if even the distributors of foreign made goods are foreign. The arrival of Target will guarantee Canada's economic doom sad smiley

Date: December 12, 2011 05:56PM

I'm working with some local groups right now, right NOW to facilitate art and craft venues featuring retailers from the area. We're talking car-free Sundays downtown with sidewalk sales, art-in-the-park events, crafters co-operative studio and shops, networking, locally sourced, produced and created goods. The farmers here (as you surely know) had one of the worst growing seasons EVER and I'm pretty sure that's the way of it thanks to climate change. So we shift... to something that can happen here and thrive despite taking a beating. I'm all about positive change and reverting to ancient arts right now. I'm teaching my kids, learning from neighbours, skill sharing and thinking big on a small scale. Stay positive babe, we're right across the river from you and happy to co-ordinate with neighbours!

Date: December 12, 2011 11:21PM

coco,

grinning smiley

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: December 15, 2011 03:11AM

Tamukha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> tropical,
>
> Isn't polyester dead dinosaurs?
>
> Shhhh, don't tell anyone . . . they think it's
> made from unicorn breath smiling smiley

Cute! smiling smiley

Posted by: Diogenez ()
Date: December 15, 2011 10:08AM

i forgot 1 i wear Nubuck too

life vs lifelessness

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: December 16, 2011 05:12AM

once upon a time we all ran around nekkid hehe

human beings are weird .. we are the only species on the planet that cooks its food and wears something besides our own skin

although i do have some relatives in norway that are extremely hairy so maybe they are evolving winking smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: December 18, 2011 02:17PM

I went to Kohl's yesterday. I found one long sleeve shirt that had any decorative aspect that I liked that was 100% cotton. It's a Chaps. In the whole store! Most of it was sixty forty. How depressing. I guess I should be thankful I found the one. (I bought two of them.)

Date: December 18, 2011 08:46PM

organic cotton is SOO soft

life vs lifelessness

Date: December 19, 2011 06:52AM

i need some cute 100% sweats. organic cotton yarn pills easy.

Date: December 19, 2011 07:29AM

oh and i got a pair of gortex pants too

life vs lifelessness

Date: December 19, 2011 08:08AM

fishing or skiing?

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables