Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Ready to scream!!!
Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: November 10, 2011 10:36PM

It is impossible to watch an evening of tv anymore without being bombarded with commercial after commercial for scooters,diabetes supplies,lawsuits for medication damages,and health plans.
I mean,its literally ALL you see anymore.
I myself have health issues,but this is ridiculous.
I would give anything for a commercial for laundry soap right about now.

Vinny

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ready to scream!!!
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: November 10, 2011 10:58PM

Vin,

What, no walk-in bathtub commercials where you are? winking smiley

Please keep in mind that our population is getting old, and our elderly tend to be more unhealthy than the elderly of, say, Germany, so there would be many commercials for scooters, prescription drugs, mechanized stairway lifts and Colonial Penn life insurance on the Tee Vee midday and evening.

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: November 10, 2011 11:02PM

What gets me is the list of side effects mentioned on TV commercials for different medications. Can you believe that one of them lists "fatal events" as a possible complication?!!!

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: November 10, 2011 11:12PM

ive noticed the last 2 weeks between the hours of 3pm and 9pm nearly all commercials seem to be about xmas, toys and geared towards kids

*sigh* smiling smiley this makes me crazy lol

Trive i just heard that one two the other day i think it was some arthritis medication being hailed by some golfer dude ... i was like seriously? fatal? i think id be looking for another way !

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Diogenez ()
Date: November 10, 2011 11:36PM

why are you watching TV? i have never watched TV i feel it is too much of a distraction and i am no fan of fiction

life vs lifelessness

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: November 10, 2011 11:40PM

its not so much watching it, i live in a house with other people that watch , unfortunately its on when its on wether i like it or not .. FORTUNATELY my mate respects my need for peace from the idiot box and either watches it in another part of the house or at a friends smiling smiley

now there are shows i do watch on TV and appreciate being able to do so. To each their own i guess i just hate the commercials smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 10, 2011 11:47PM

It's easier to have it on for noise than the radio sometimes. Radio is designed to be aurally engaging while tv is meant to be watched so if it's on in the background it doesn't grab my attention, it just fills up the room with a sense of company. Sometimes being alone every single evening after days full of noisy kids is a bit too quiet for me.

As for the commercials, all we get are American stations so the commercials played in Detroit and I guess Toledo are ALL about medication for depression. And cars. It's amazing, you'd think the majority of people are walking around irretrievably blue despite their fancy new rides.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: November 10, 2011 11:48PM

I have been tv-free for over two years and loving it!! Of course, at the beginning it was like having an arm chopped off. Now I find it scary that it was so entrenched in my life!

You definitely have a choice in the matter. I like that saying: if you don't like what you're seeing, turn the channel!smiling smiley And in this case, it's turn OFF the BOOB TUBE!!!

(What's really a bummer is watching during the national news and Sunday news shows. Most of the commercials are for DRUGS because the audience is mostly older folkseye rolling smiley)

Date: November 10, 2011 11:49PM

Oh and Jodi? Me two about commercials but now they are almost a given when watching videos onlineeye rolling smiley

Date: November 10, 2011 11:52PM

You can't watch a youtube or yahoo video without getting hit with a commercial! I remember living out at the cottage for a few months straight one time and then taking the bus into Toronto, the "ads in the sky" (billboards) freaked me right out. I felt completely bombarded by signs screaming at me what to like/feel/want/do/think. Just awful.

Posted by: vermontnl ()
Date: November 11, 2011 12:19AM

I gave up watching TV in 1977 because I was a television addict. If it's on, I am as they say glued to the tube. Now if I catch a glimpse of it, I can't believe what I am seeing; sometimes I laugh, other times I am just to sensitive to see what I am seeing.

Date: November 11, 2011 12:21AM

I guess I am just not at a point where I will give it up.
It does fill the house with company.I live alone.
Actually What I watch most is dvds of old sitcoms.
And......I have a number of old VHS tapes I watch that I recorded in the 80's.I would record about 2 hrs of tv while I did my workouts and hobbies,and its amazing to see all the commercials,and not ONE of them for a medication lawsuit,or testing meter,or a scooter.
It was all household products,toys,cereals,cars,etc....

I guess its the repetition that is getting to me.

Vinny

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: November 11, 2011 01:38AM

I was going to say what tv shows are you watching? My mother in law watches a her share, and incidentally I see alot of stuff you mention, but everything is geared for 65 and older.

Sometimes in the morning I watch 'loonie tunes' while brushing my teeth before I rush out of the house to class. Usually the commercials are about some new toy. They had a cute one the other day that really captured the motion of ants, I just got a kick out of that!

Date: November 11, 2011 07:57AM

just download those shows ?

life vs lifelessness

Date: November 11, 2011 01:51PM

I watch tv all thru the day while I am building stuff in my shop.
Those commercials I mentioned are on all day,on every channel,no matter what show is on.Kid oriented or adult.

Date: November 11, 2011 03:21PM

Vinnie, I'm thinking about you this morning as I've turned on the TV for some noise while I work around the house. There are a lot of ads for Malwart, a LOT. You know, this conversation has reminded me how much I dislike commercials, even heard as background noise, but I remember that there is this handy little button on the remote control called "mute". I think I'll carry it around in my pocket today and implement that as needed winking smiley. I can dislike it and complain about it or just turn off the sound, it's my decision.

Date: November 11, 2011 04:46PM

I'm actually tired about news reports about a sagging economy, jobs, stock market, money issues in general. It seems like I have been hearing about that sort of stuff all my life.

It got personal last week when I got news that my scholarship was reduced because of cuts in funding, budget problems etc... That makes me want to scream.

Date: November 11, 2011 04:52PM

It's unfortunate to have that happen mid-way through a program. I have lost funding like that, it's not nice. You've invested lots of time and money, the government has also invest the same, only to have the rug pulled out from under you. It's ridiculous not to see a commitment through to the end like that, it's incredibly wasteful and frustrating and foolish. I found a way to see my course through but imagine if I hadn't? My standing at that university would have been damaged not to mention having to pay back a lot of loan money for a course I didn't complete. What is the point?
I hope this turns out ok for you Mislu.

Date: November 11, 2011 06:56PM

Sorry this has happened, Mislu. Hope you can find some other financial aid to make up the difference. Good luck, dear.

Date: November 11, 2011 10:37PM

Thank you for the support. Any ideas? I have been rejected for loans because I already have 1 degree already. Also because my income isn't what they want to see. But if I had a better income, why would I need a loan?

Date: November 11, 2011 10:42PM

Mislu, that doesn't make sense. I have a degree and I am getting student loans. And the less money you make, the more loan you can get! Did you default in the past? What kind of loan were you looking at? I have Stafford loans-both subsidized and unsubsidized. These are federal loans (I would NEVER get a private loan!).

Date: November 11, 2011 11:57PM

[www.youtube.com]

^

life vs lifelessness

Date: November 12, 2011 01:56AM

Well,Thats a very interesting video I suspected as much, I haven't finished watching it, but its almost too much for me to watch. I have bought into the belief system. I think I can watch this to see what the solution is.

I applied for the federal loans, and that is what I was told. I did not default on any loan, either college or otherwise.

Date: November 12, 2011 02:08AM

Difficult to watch, but matches observations I have made. I don't know if this will be addressed in the video. I noticed that some students who didn't do well in some classes continued in the second part of the class, that I thought they had to retake and pass before continuing. One is starting a program also. I also wondered about the students in my program. I told my partner that I doubted that 1/2 would make it to the next semester. I bet that most WILL be there, because it means money to the school, they will find some way to make up the grade to get them to finish the program if they want. I had fears of if I will finish.

Date: November 12, 2011 10:14AM

What explains a lot. No wonder I am so unhappy and broke. I would like to erase my educational experience. Will an employer read a bachelors degree as a red flag as someone not creative, or unaware of whats actually going on? Its kind of unfair to my partner who got his degree before the educational bubble started. I feel like I had the blanket pulled over my eyes. But what know? Drop out of my program? I kind of feel like it rather than spend another dime or minute on something that won't benefit me.

Date: November 12, 2011 05:31PM

Mislu,

Please remember that time passes and things change. The way the system is [dys]functioning now is changing, slowly but surely, and in the future people with your abilities will have their day again smiling smiley

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: November 12, 2011 07:06PM

Diogenez Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [www.youtube.com]
>
> ^

Thanks for posting this video, Diogenez - I'm watching it now. Loving it so far - everything I've been saying - see my thread on College Loans smiling smiley

OWS should be Protesting the Government for creating this College Loan Bubble, instead of Demanding of the Government another "Bailout". And now that this administration took over the College Loan Industry last year, it can only get worse. haha - I just heard the video say the very same thing smiling smiley

Whoa - now they're talking about the college kids expecting to be 'bailed out' - by the Govenrment... LOL

And the fraud and abuse within the system, which is what you get when the Government is involved smiling smiley

Now talking about Government Subsidies creating this scam - remember the video I posted about how "ALL SUBSIDIES ARE BAD".

And BTW, everything they're talking about the Government being involved in the Colleges in this video applies to Pubic Schools as well - as far as the waste, inefficient, fraud and abuse and bureaucracy and a waste of money and energy with the Government in charge of Education, not to mention the Indoctrination.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2011 07:14PM by KidRaw.

Date: November 12, 2011 07:23PM

How is this politcal shite leaking into every single topic on the forum? Can we have an unrelated conversation PLEASE?!

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: November 12, 2011 07:29PM

banana who Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

These are federal loans (I would
> NEVER get a private loan!).

Why?

Date: November 13, 2011 12:39AM

Coco,
I think its because people are starting to talk about important things, things which we as a nation and world haven't been addressing. Its not comforting, but I have mixed feelings about realizing and acknowleding what is going on. I am negatively affected by it, and wish I realized sooner what my exact feelings are. I don't feel good, and I feel worried about what might happen in the near future. Is it real? is it hype?

I would much rather not have to deal with certain things myself.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables