Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Oil lamp, what kind of oil to burn?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 22, 2011 05:56PM

I recently bought a completely gorgeous antique kerosene lamp from a friend's shop that I'd like to use for light in the evenings now that it's getting dark so early. I certainly am not going to purchase kerosene for it though, PU stinky! But I'm wondering what sort of oil I should use, what would work well and also not off-gas all sorts of gunk into our air. Got any ideas? All info and opinions are welcome but I'd love to hear from someone who's actually burned an oil lantern themselves for a first hand account.
Thanks peoples!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Oil lamp, what kind of oil to burn?
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: November 22, 2011 06:05PM

they use mustard oil for oil lamps in india quite a bit ..i dont recall it being stinky or coughy smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: November 22, 2011 06:09PM

this website says olive oil burns clean and odor free .. [livingonfoodstamps.blogspot.com]

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: November 23, 2011 01:22PM

The ancient Mediterraneans used olive oil, so I second Jodi. However, maybe go to a Middle Eastern shop where they are more likely to have someone or to know someone that understands what sort of oil to use; I don't think food grade olive oil would be cost effective. Good luck!

Posted by: vermontnl ()
Date: November 23, 2011 01:42PM

Olive oil lamps from Lehman's:

[www.lehmans.com]

Date: November 23, 2011 04:03PM

Hey, cool, thanks guys!

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: November 25, 2011 02:14AM

i don't know.. i think electricity might be safer. i had oil catch on fire once (i was deep frying) Terrifying. Thank god i managed the lid back on and the burner off. i burned the back splash against the wall. why not just for emergencies though. (the lamp)

Date: November 25, 2011 05:38AM

They can't catch on fire, the oil doesn't get heated up in the reservoir, only the wick is lit. Any way to reduce consumption though oil has to be processed. The best form of artificial light I can figure out is local beeswax as it's minimally processed and doesn't spend a lot of gas to travel to me. I don't use bee products though so... I did find instructions for a DIY oil press once but would need some land to grow seeds for that. Labour intensive, it would have to be used so frugally.

Date: November 27, 2011 08:24PM

Check this out! Mini lanterns from clementines and olive oil, just brilliant!

[www.apartmenttherapy.com]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: November 27, 2011 09:20PM

Thanks for posting that idea for a very unusual candle; it would be the loveliest start a Twelfth Night dinner party.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables