Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
sunny disposition: can anyone attain it?
Posted by: rufio ()
Date: December 19, 2011 06:27AM

whenever im out in the world i often harbor negative emotions toward everything. if i am walking in the store and see someone who is where i want to peruse i will think to myself, 'why is there always an idiot in my way'
today i was driving (in traffic ugh) and there was a ford truck with 2 USA flags on both sides and a bunch of patriotic bumper stickers and i thought the driver was one of the biggest idiots society could produce. i dont like feeling this way and i know its not productive. how do i change it though? im not violent or mean, this is stuff thats bottled up in me. i am ultra sensitive and see and hear all the ills of society and i feel like whenever i go outside i shouldnt even give it a chance; i should just trash everyone because it continually doesnt live up to my expectations anyway.

would exercise help?
meditation?
i have a hard time reading books and then applying them. i wish there was a happy pill you could take everytime you leave the house and it would make you sunny all day long. i know those are called drugs but i cant take them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2011 06:27AM by rufio.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: sunny disposition: can anyone attain it?
Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: December 19, 2011 06:44AM

do you like to read rufio?

do you take b12 supplements?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 19, 2011 12:59PM

I can only tell you what helped me, yoga, meditation and reading the book Loving What Is by Byron Katie (which is incredibly easy to understand and apply to daily life).

Best.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: December 19, 2011 01:18PM

I have gone thru phases like that.
I would put it all in the category of a "depression."

Are you spiritual in any way?
I find that helps me alot to put everyone on the same level.
We are all just trying to do the best we can.

Try to find a place to walk out in nature where you would encounter as few people as possible.For now.

Other than that I do feel there are some deep issues needing to be worked on.

Vinny

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2011 01:22PM by eaglefly.

Date: December 19, 2011 03:08PM

Hearing this song, especially if it pops up unexpextedly, like at the supermarket or something, always cheers me up. [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: December 19, 2011 05:08PM

For some reason when I was a young woman I knew to practice saying positive things to myself starting with myself. I am nice, generous, pretty, etc. It comes naturally now and it extends for the most part outward to others. I can almost always catch myself being negative and turn it around to being grateful instead.

If you don't like to read, then watch the movie "The Secret". You will find how powerful thoughts can be.

The premise is why I like Eastern philosophy and Buddhism. What you send out to the Universe reverberates and will return to you as what you put out.

When I find myself around very negative people and can't change it around to a positive feeling I find something else to do.

I also believe that sometimes the problem of depression can be organic. An imbalance in our bodies and minds due to many things. But still I think that if one works consistently to overcome negative thoughts and feelings, there is power there to change it and or find the solution.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 19, 2011 05:11PM

rufio,

I hear you! I find it helps to be around people that are good and noble and lovely--it restores your faith in mankind and also nurtures the same qualities within you. That helps if, in the meantime, you cannot exert your "best side" on your own.

There's a lot in this world that sucks, and in a persistent way, but the stuff that's good is also constant and can always be discovered with some effort. Practice seeking it out and holding it close in your thoughts. Be attentive to when you are drifting away from good thoughts and feelings; it is natural to feel black once in a while, but it is imperative to have the discipline to pull onself out of it instead of sinking ever deeper or letting it fester until it explodes in a cataract of evil sensations. Every time this happens, it gets harder to stop midway and to recover from. Every time this happens, your best side loses a little more ground and is less able to connect with the good in everyone and everything else. You control your thoughts and feelings. Be mindful.

I wish you luck smiling smiley

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: December 19, 2011 11:27PM

OH my goodness that sounds like my compassion and empathy thread! I sometimes feel that way. I don't like it at all. I found that mediation helps, chanting also.

I found some beautiful religious music last night. I think of them as sort of hindu 'gospel'. Its religious by nature, but I don't feel any need to convert, difficult to explain.
[www.youtube.com]

I found a video of George Harrison chanting 'Hare Krishna' last night. I don't even particularly like the movement, but oh my, it just made my heart melt! And I found myself really enjoying it. Its so simple, but it just made me feel a certain type of love and softness I am not sure I ever felt before.
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: December 20, 2011 05:15PM

I think you can, although you cannot fake being carefree and "sunny." I think yoga (Hatha and sitting meditation), no caffeine or refined sugar, and being around positive people is a great start. When you don't feel good physically, you get irritated more easily. But the fact that you are conscious about it shows that it's not really part of your nature. I always wonder why people have to sit down next to me on the bus or train when there are many seats to choose from, why people block the entrance to a store with their carts, lost in thought, and I have to say 'excuse me.' I have Moon in Virgo so sometimes I can get a bit snarky in my thoughts (or even remarks), but I know it's all surface. I don't really judge people by external things. It's like a vestige of a trait I had in another life or something...Take care.

Date: December 24, 2011 05:38AM

rufio Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> whenever im out in the world i often harbor
> negative emotions toward everything. if i am
> walking in the store and see someone who is where
> i want to peruse i will think to myself, 'why is
> there always an idiot in my way'
> today i was driving (in traffic ugh) and there was
> a ford truck with 2 USA flags on both sides and a
> bunch of patriotic bumper stickers and i thought
> the driver was one of the biggest idiots society
> could produce. i dont like feeling this way and i
> know its not productive. how do i change it
> though? im not violent or mean, this is stuff
> thats bottled up in me. i am ultra sensitive and
> see and hear all the ills of society and i feel
> like whenever i go outside i shouldnt even give it
> a chance; i should just trash everyone because it
> continually doesnt live up to my expectations
> anyway.
>
> would exercise help?
> meditation?
> i have a hard time reading books and then applying
> them. i wish there was a happy pill you could take
> everytime you leave the house and it would make
> you sunny all day long. i know those are called
> drugs but i cant take them.

You know, rufio, it's not nice to think of people as idiots, especially if you don't know them at all. I mean, what if everyone looked at you and thought Idiot! without even getting to know you? What's wrong with patriotism? Unity has to start somewhere. Maybe you could try saying hello, or possibly, may you please excuse me, I need to get something or something like that.

There's spice available. AYOR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2011 05:50AM by rawalice.

Posted by: rufio ()
Date: December 24, 2011 07:18PM

thank you, rawalice.

i am going to try to say hello to random strangers. i think that will change my disposition and hopefully carry forward.

does anyone here go out of their way to small chat with strangers? do you find that they are open to it, or does it backfire on you and they tell you (not in words) to tick off? that would probably shatter me.

i know that sometimes when a stranger wants to share pleasantries with me, or just smiles, it brightens up my mood and restores my faith (temporarily) in society. perhaps i should reciprocate everyday.

Date: December 24, 2011 08:24PM

I talk to people ALL the time, lol. If they aren't the chatty sort you pick up the vibe very quickly, then smiling and going your own way is a fine ending to a brief hello. Lots of people love to make small talk though, humans are generally a friendly bunch.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: December 27, 2011 05:23AM

rufio

if someone doesn't talk to you when you initiate and you feel it will shatter you, my question is : what is so wrong with feeling shattered?

feel it

then ask yourself WHY do you feel shattered?

and it probably has nothing to do with the other person

sometimes it is fun to enlighten oneself via other people

also, if you feel irritated by others in traffic or at the store

why is that wrong?

feel it

then ask yourself

do my thoughts uplift me or do they tear me down

and if they tear you down

maybe a part of you WANTS to be torn down

to be rebuilt back up at another time

that is more appropriate

in other words

there is no right or wrong way to think be or feel

however if you DESIRE to be another way

then it is entirely possible

by your intent alone

which naturally will have correct action precipitating from it

seems like your ship is slowly changing its course of destination

in a way that you desire

perhaps you have always been and done what you desire

this shift will be no different

except that its probably more energizing

though anger can be energizing too

but its energy is short lived and burn out occurs afterwards

anger is also empowering if you realize that you are never a victim of externals
only of your own thinking

a person can have just undergone super traumatic surgery and the painkillers afterwards may not help

but they could have a mindset that they are getting better and be at peace despite the physical pain

a woman giving birth to a child could experience very harsh pain but also be happy that she is giving birth to new life

a person who was stabbed by another but escaped could also have a feeling that the pain doesn't matter " i am a alive, wow" might be the attitude

in other words, you have all the power in the world in your mind

claim it and it is yours

desire it and its in your pocket

like money

to spend it at whatever you focus on

have fun

in your expenditures

its always fun to go shopping and buy whatever you want

thoughts are like that

like money

you got this neutral thing ... a thought field... floating around somehwere in your mind

like a bunch of dollar bills... neutral... til u decide how u are gonna spend it

some people might burn it up for heat if they are desperate and in a cold forlorn remote area

some people might buy drugs and destroy their lives

some people might buy tools to create a beautiful garden

just like people have control of what they are going to do with their money

there is a lot of control that individuals have with how they are going to spend their mind money

yeah i call it mind money

cuz its just like that

have a happy thought ( buy a thing that is nourishing, and its good)

have a not so happy thought ( like buying cigarettes and smoking them)
and things are less than optimal

up to you

happy spending

its all good

whatever u think

its all part of the fabric of self discovery

fabulous

spectacular

awesome

bewildering

beautiful

i could go on

but i got a feeling that maybe getting some sleep is a good idea just about now

tee hee smiling smiley

you are very gracious

with that sort of grace

the world is yours for the taking

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: December 27, 2011 05:59AM

to answer your thread topic

yeah,

i think its doable

is it easy?

the alternative is a lot more difficult

i think

or

maybe not

depends who u are

great question though

makes me think

sometimes i like to think

sometimesi don't

either way

its all good

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 27, 2011 03:54PM

la_v,

i call it mind money

I like this idea! Thanks for articulating it smiling smiley

Posted by: HeavenHands ()
Date: December 27, 2011 06:27PM

It sounds like the OP is getting angry while shopping and driving in an unfriendly town. There's a good reason why I do most of my shopping for food at farmer's markets and co-ops and almost all of my other shopping on-line. There's also a good reason why I moved to a town where I don't have to drive much and a high percentage of the people are friendly. A friendly smile from a stranger can carry me a long way. Maybe it's time to re-examine your living conditions. I believe that the kind of stress that rufio is experiencing is every bit as bad for us as smoking. Getting serious about getting away from it is probably a good idea.

Date: December 27, 2011 10:59PM

u know, smoking, though it may have side effects, can encourage learning. I wish i had the study, but nicotine "increases cognitive ability" (or something similar. It does seem to sharpen the mind. as far the study says, it "encourages the desire to learn" I like it, it helps me think, it helps me stay awake sometimes. Though, perhaps it's not for everyone. there's two kinds of addiction, physical, and emotional. physical means it actually becomes part of your body's ability to function. you say neutral, "you got this neutral thing ... a thought field... floating around somehwere in your mind" Did you mean neural?

Date: December 27, 2011 11:54PM

My personal experience tells me that you're wrong, especially if you're talking about cigarettes. Here's a study that backs me up. What's funny is that when I read your claim that smoking increases cognitive ability, my first thought was, "Maybe in the short-term, but long-term it's bad news for the mind."

[www.futurepundit.com]

rawalice Wrote:
> u know, smoking, though it may have side effects,
> can encourage learning. I wish i had the study,
> but nicotine "increases cognitive ability" (or
> something similar. It does seem to sharpen the
> mind. as far the study says, it "encourages the
> desire to learn" I like it, it helps me think, it
> helps me stay awake sometimes. Though, perhaps
> it's not for everyone. there's two kinds of
> addiction, physical, and emotional. physical means
> it actually becomes part of your body's ability to
> function. you say neutral, "you got this neutral
> thing ... a thought field... floating around
> somehwere in your mind" Did you mean neural?

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: December 28, 2011 12:31AM

Not to defend smoking, but is there a difference between chain smoking, and those that have 1 or 2 cigs a day? I don't smoke, and I hate the smell, so I don't encourage it, but I have heard of a few benefits. I suppose that everything potentially might have some 'benefit', but other factors may overwhelm an activity and make it negative overall.

Date: December 28, 2011 01:13AM

Well, it is addictive, so you have to be careful, but for me personally, it's medicine. For all we know, it may not be the tobacco, but the paper or additives/pesticides. (Edgar Cayce says that the body can tolerate up to 8 cigarettes a day without any detriment.) I personally am up to about a pack from that. Tolerance. I wouldn't mind a nice little quit smoking week to lounge around and take baths, do whatever and pamper myself for a week or so. Truth.
_Edgar Cayce's Handbook for Health Through Drugless Therapy

Date: December 28, 2011 01:46AM

So now smoking is good for the health, eh? We can add it to the list of things-that-used-to-be-considered-bad-for-you right along with coffee, alcohol, sugar, salt, chocolate, and cheese. Ah well, an addict will believe anything that allows their habit to continue. No offense to anyone in particular, just making an observation.

Date: December 28, 2011 02:08AM

Do you pray to your health only coco? mind body spirit
Do you have addictions?

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: December 28, 2011 03:10AM

i think pure unadulterated tobacco could be seen as a form of medicine not something to be taken daily .. ?

cigarettes as they are now produced .. they are not medicine, just toxic sticks of poision

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: December 28, 2011 04:22AM

rawalice Wrote:
> Do you pray to your health only coco?

I don't even know what that means.

As for addictions, no, I don't have any. Except for sleep. And maybe hugs from my kids, I'm pretty sure I'd die without those winking smiley.

Date: December 28, 2011 01:57PM

Patriotism in America is too often HATRIOTISM. It's used to justify senseless war. In most cases, it doesn't mean "I love America" so much as it means "I hate Muslims and anyone else who doesn't mindlessly follow American dictates." Rufio should ignore the patriots. The world is quickly entering a new dimension of consciousness. No vacancies for the war minded. Introduce yourself to a few war veterans. The majority of them walk away from that experience disgusted by the patriots who encouraged them to sign-up when they were young, naive, and well-meaning.

rawalice Wrote:
> rufio Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > whenever im out in the world i often harbor
> > negative emotions toward everything. if i am
> > walking in the store and see someone who is
> where
> > i want to peruse i will think to myself, 'why
> is
> > there always an idiot in my way'
> > today i was driving (in traffic ugh) and there
> was
> > a ford truck with 2 USA flags on both sides and
> a
> > bunch of patriotic bumper stickers and i
> thought
> > the driver was one of the biggest idiots
> society
> > could produce. i dont like feeling this way and
> i
> > know its not productive. how do i change it
> > though? im not violent or mean, this is stuff
> > thats bottled up in me. i am ultra sensitive
> and
> > see and hear all the ills of society and i feel
> > like whenever i go outside i shouldnt even give
> it
> > a chance; i should just trash everyone because
> it
> > continually doesnt live up to my expectations
> > anyway.
> >
> > would exercise help?
> > meditation?
> > i have a hard time reading books and then
> applying
> > them. i wish there was a happy pill you could
> take
> > everytime you leave the house and it would make
> > you sunny all day long. i know those are called
> > drugs but i cant take them.
>
> You know, rufio, it's not nice to think of people
> as idiots, especially if you don't know them at
> all. I mean, what if everyone looked at you and
> thought Idiot! without even getting to know you?
> What's wrong with patriotism? Unity has to start
> somewhere. Maybe you could try saying hello, or
> possibly, may you please excuse me, I need to get
> something or something like that.
>
> There's spice available. AYOR

Date: December 28, 2011 02:33PM

Have you achieved Innocence? Have you ever had someone kill to protect you? Do you have any idea what it takes to uphold sacred law? Justice, order, peace? I have two children. My hugs are in my heart, in my mind, in their voices, and in their purpose fulfilled, as well as mine.

Date: December 28, 2011 02:44PM

HeavenHands HATRIOTISM, what a term. Wow. Very applicable these days.
Have you read Barbara Kingsolver's The Lacuna? What an interesting book. I think you'd enjoy it.

rawalice Wrote:
> Have you achieved Innocence?

We are all born innocent, I don't think I've lost it.

Have you ever had
> someone kill to protect you?

This is not something I would want, I would rather leave this body. Violence begets violence, you can't "fight" for peace.

Do you have any idea
> what it takes to uphold sacred law?

That's a very subjective question. "Sacred law"? We live our own truths every day.

Justice,
> order, peace? I have two children. My hugs are in
> my heart, in my mind, in their voices, and in
> their purpose fulfilled, as well as mine.

Again, I have no idea what you're even trying to say here. I find your posts often don't make a lot of sense. I wonder what you're up to on this site. Are you even into raw food at all?

Date: December 28, 2011 02:45PM

Regarding smoking, I find that it dulls my vibration. That's all I needed to quit. I'm not an anti-smoking crusader. If it works for you, smoke on. Here's to hoping that you have the means to pay your own medical bills. I was only pointing out that the effect on cognitive function is debatable.

Didn't Cayce die at 67 of a stroke? I wouldn't call him a successful longevity pioneer. A stroke usually means he wasn't exactly living a quality life in terms of health either. I wonder if smoking had anything to do with the debilitating laryngitis he experienced early in life.

Date: December 28, 2011 02:50PM

No I haven't read it but I'll check it out. Thank you.

coco Wrote:
> HeavenHands HATRIOTISM, what a term. Wow. Very
> applicable these days.
> Have you read Barbara Kingsolver's The Lacuna?
> What an interesting book. I think you'd enjoy it.
>
>
>
>
> rawalice Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Have you achieved Innocence?
>
> We are all born innocent, I don't think I've lost
> it.
>
>
> Have you ever had
> > someone kill to protect you?
>
> This is not something I would want, I would rather
> leave this body. Violence begets violence, you
> can't "fight" for peace.
>
> Do you have any idea
> > what it takes to uphold sacred law?
>
> That's a very subjective question. "Sacred law"?
> We live our own truths every day.
>
> Justice,
> > order, peace? I have two children. My hugs are
> in
> > my heart, in my mind, in their voices, and in
> > their purpose fulfilled, as well as mine.
>
> Again, I have no idea what you're even trying to
> say here. I find your posts often don't make a lot
> of sense. I wonder what you're up to on this site.
> Are you even into raw food at all?

Date: December 28, 2011 04:15PM

HeavenHands Wrote:
> Regarding smoking, I find that it dulls my
> vibration. That's all I needed to quit. I'm not an
> anti-smoking crusader. If it works for you, smoke
> on. Here's to hoping that you have the means to
> pay your own medical bills. I was only pointing
> out that the effect on cognitive function is
> debatable.
>
> Didn't Cayce die at 67 of a stroke? I wouldn't
> call him a successful longevity pioneer. A stroke
> usually means he wasn't exactly living a quality
> life in terms of health either. I wonder if
> smoking had anything to do with the debilitating
> laryngitis he experienced early in life.

Why yes. Yes I am. I suppose my goal in life is not solely longevity. Longetivity for what purpose? Why not look at his life instead.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables