Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

my daughter wants to travel to California - ideas please
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: January 20, 2012 09:48PM

My daughter is considering her options. she is finishing a 2year course at circus school this summer and is wondering what to do afterwards. She wants to travel and loves the thought of California.

She loves a raw vegan lifestyle - although doesn't follow it 100%. she is an amazing singer and very good at art too.

So far she has thought of woofing - that would seem like a good idea - I wonder how much goes on in California. She would love to see the big open spaces but also would love to see some good music, festivals etc.

She has very little money so would need to be able to earn a little or work for food and digs with pocket money. She is 22yrs old -

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: my daughter wants to travel to California - ideas please
Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: January 21, 2012 01:48PM

My gosh this shows you how much I am not with it.
What is "woofing".

Vinny

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 21, 2012 03:15PM

As confused about "woofing" as Vinny is . . . is this some form of British clown method?

Aside from that, cannot advise specifics, as I've not ever been to California, but she should look at southern California for seasonal work at tourist attractions. There are large vegan communities in San Diego County, and, of course, around greater Los Angeles. It's amazing that she has these plans and I wish here luck, but many, many hours of web searches for where to live and work would ensure good luck comes smiling smiley

Here's a start: The Happy Cow registry for southern California vegetarian restaurants, to give your girl ideas for a city search:
[www.happycow.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2012 03:17PM by Tamukha.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 21, 2012 03:33PM

wwoof, willing workers on organic farms, a volunteer project.

[www.wwoof.ca]

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: January 21, 2012 05:18PM

what a great girl she has itchy feet to explore the world im sure she will come away with all sorts of great memories smiling smiley is she thinking of doing this alone or with a friend or two or?

wwoof'ing is all over the world .. next time i travel abroad I was thinking at looking at some of these opportunities smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: January 21, 2012 06:40PM

Oh I'm sure she'll do it alone - you meet far more people that way and can please yourself about where to go and when etc.

My son did some wwoofing in New Zealand - had a great time on the farms and met some great people. It's a fabulous way for kids (and older folk of course smiling smiley) to travel, work and see the world.

Date: January 21, 2012 06:56PM

My littlest sister wwoofed in BC, she fell in love with it there and never left! It's a great way to travel and meet people, some places pay a small stipend but generally you do need to go with some money of your own. There is an amazing program here too called Katimavik, it's more structured with less freedom in terms of taking off whenever you want but it's an incredible learning and earning experience for young people. A friend's 2 children have gone, left as entitled little brats, came back responsible. Not to say it's only for bratty kids, lol, it's just a terrific way to get a feel for what it's really like to be out there on your own. Very eye opening.

[www.katimavik.org]

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: January 21, 2012 10:46PM

woofer is a big cone speaker to make bass in a stereo

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: January 21, 2012 11:37PM

Is she going to the clown college in Sarasota? My mom lives there and told me about it. Two years for this college?! That is some serious clowning! winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2012 11:37PM by banana who.

Posted by: vermontnl ()
Date: January 22, 2012 12:54AM

My son is in the circus arts also. He lived in San Francisco. I believe the circus school there closed though. Good food was easily accessible, much more than in the San Diego area!

Flipperjan, where is your daughter training?

And wwoofing is GREAT! all over the world.

Date: January 23, 2012 08:26AM

My daughter is training in Bristol, UK at Circomedia. It's not just clowning smiling smiley

[www.circomedia.com]
They do trapeze, acro balance, physical theatre etc. Great fun.

I was really looking for ideas of where she should go, sites she should see etc. There's nothing like first hand knowledge of a country.

And not just Claifornia but anywhere warm and lovely - the big open spaces etc etc

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2012 08:29AM by flipperjan.

Date: January 23, 2012 01:31PM

Ah, does she want to travel all over Cali? I lived there for a while, it's a big state. San Fran is really interesting, of course. San Diego I didn't enjoy that much, sort of Ken and Barbie land. LA, the air was unbelievable, OMG.

Date: January 23, 2012 04:14PM

Coco - the world is there for her to explore - we are trying to narrow it down a little that's all smiling smiley smiling smiley

All good ideas welcome

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: January 23, 2012 04:26PM

There is or used to be a Circus group called Fern Street Circus in Southern Ca. It would travel to places like Carlsbads Boys and Girls Club and teach the kids some of their magic and have them put on a show along with the experienced circus performers.

Looks like they have their own website.
[www.fernstreetcircus.org]

That may be a place for your daughter to target. I'm sure some of the people in Fern Street Circus may even have suggestions of where she could stay.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: riverhousebill ()
Date: January 23, 2012 09:22PM

Camp Winnarainbow | Camp | Best California Summer Camp for ...
www.campwinnarainbow.org/
Circus and performing arts camp for children and adults, directed by Wavy Gravy. Lists activities, dates and rates, and provides photographs of the grounds and

Camp Winnarainbow is in Mendocino County (Grateful Dead Family).

I love northern Ca. Ive been here 40 years, the rest of the state well you should see as much as you can it has it all. La La land I would skip such a fog apon La. and Sandiego nothing but Military helacopters and Navey and polution.

Peace To The Cottages- War on the Castles

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2012 09:24PM by riverhousebill.

Date: January 23, 2012 09:25PM

OMG Wavy Gravy still has an active camp?
I'm going.

Posted by: vermontnl ()
Date: January 23, 2012 11:05PM

As you probably know Cirque du Soleil, based in Montreal, is all over the world, including Las Vegas (stationary shows), in Europe, Japan, Florida, and traveling shows.

Date: January 24, 2012 01:53AM

My circusy friend is doing some sort of intensive training there now (Montreal). She's been performing and teaching for ages but has decided they have something she wants. I can't wait to see her and hear about her adventures. She lives an interesting life that bendy girl!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables