Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

night sky conservation
Posted by: riverhousebill ()
Date: July 14, 2012 12:03AM

Night Sky Conservation

Light pollution is one of the most obvious forms of economic and environmental waste. We see it every night in the form of bright orange blobs of light in the sky. This light obscures views of the night sky and reduces enjoyment of the wonders of the heavens. Research has shown that excessive light at night has a negative biological effect on animals and humans.

The Night Sky Conservation (NSC) program mission is to implement effective light pollution reduction measures by providing practical lighting strategies, educating the public and businesses about responsible lighting practices, and fostering an appreciation of the night sky through high-calibre astronomy education. The NSC strives to conserve our natural environment, improve the splendour of the night skies, and reduce electricity consumption and costs.

NSC Fall Preview Astronomy Courses

Instilling an appreciation of the night sky comes from showcasing what dark skies have to offer. General astronomy courses at the Mill of Kintail explain and illustrate the fascinating characteristics of the night sky from star gazing to constellation identification to experiencing special celestial events.

LIGHT POLLUTION

poorinsecuritylight

Since the early 20th century, humans have been using electric lighting to light our streets, homes, and businesses. Little notice was taken to where the lighting was being directed.Some light continues to be directed beyon d the target of interest and up into the night sky where it reflects off particles in our atmosphere.

The waste d lighting costs money. It is more economical if lighting is exlusively focused on the subjects of interest rather than spilling into areas where it is not required. Light pollution is a contamination of lighting our night sky, washing out the more faint celestial objects. In some cities, light pollution is so bad that sometimes even the brightest stars are washed out.

Light pollution is the easiest type of pollution to clean up. All it takes is switching off light sources that are unnecessary, insta lling cut off caps on street lights and security lights and lowering the power (wattage) of the lights themselves. This saves everyone money, reduces the strain on our power grid, and helps to restore the splendour of the night sky to everyone.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: night sky conservation
Posted by: back2eden ()
Date: July 14, 2012 01:23AM

The night sky is so bright here with no lights any where around. Full moon nights with snow on the ground are enough to light up the inside of my cabin.
The sun during the day seems to be much brighter now too. I can't look any where near it.

Re: night sky conservation
Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: July 14, 2012 02:09PM

Being an ameture astronomer,who uses a 13" reflector,I am quite aware of this issue,and have had to resort to buying expensive filters for my scope to achieve the black sky back round that would exist if we didnt have so many dam lights around.
I used to live north of Philly,and the whole southern sky was pink.
Here in south central Pa it is somewhat better.

The "guage" I use is whether you can see the Andromeda Galaxy with the naked eye.
On a good night here,its easily seen as a glowing fuzz patch.

But recently they installed very bright orange street lights all around my neighborhood,
Its so bad I had to install pull down shades in my house just so I could have darkness at night.And when it snows in the wintertime,the whole neighborhood glows orange.

WE DONT NEED ALL THIS DAM LIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables