Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

American school food
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: July 15, 2012 04:17PM

I just watched a TV program about an English cook trying to improve the food in a West Virginia school. He encountered so much negativity to change that the system looked pathetic and a complete failure. The kids were fed food from frozen boxes with hundreds of chemical names in them. They had frozen pizza for breakfast, flavored milk, cakes, etc. Lunch was frozen chicken nuggets, frozen breads, etc. Wow! This happened everyday and it was due to using a system of numbers based on nutritional recommendations. The kids had no fresh vegetables at all. The did not know what was a potatoe but knew what was a french fry. What a total consented failure from a system of complete ignorance and arrogance (defensiveness) and thick skull. God bless America.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: American school food
Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: July 15, 2012 05:12PM

They only feed the kids what tastes good,and fresh produce is so perishable.
One plus one equals two.

Date: July 15, 2012 05:41PM

you are right. The kids were presented with two options. One was chicken cooked from scratch and the second was pizza. The kids ate pizza and the chicken went to waste. They were so used to enhanced flavored foods that anything else tasted bad. Basically, the school ratedthe food by the kids acceptance (not healthyness). It just happens that that city had the worse health in the goo US of A. All teachers, principals, etc were overweight and they did not see anything wrong with that. They were alive. If you don't die after eating the food, the food is healthy and "meets" the US standards. McDonalds would be healthy cuisine compared with that school but they have nobody aware of the problem even when they had so many deaths by poor food choices (highest death in the US).

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 16, 2012 11:52AM

Ah, poor Jamie Oliver. The man is Sisyphus. Now he's in a flame war with the U.K.'s Secretary of Education, who is stonewalling efforts to implement Oliver's broadly publicized recommendations concerning school food programs. Oliver has proven--as far as the British public and many politicians are concerned--that it is possible to economically feed children lots of fresh fruits and vegetables(he's doesn't advocate vegetarianism, but minimally processed omnivorism). Instead of already implementing Oliver's suggestions, the Education Secretary has hired a couple of restaurateurs, whose kids menus are similar to what our kids get at Big Boy, to do another "study." Guess how that will pan out?

As here, it all comes down to money: The Minister is hand-in-glove with major commercial food producers and school meal contracts are, well, their bread and butter. There's word for this phenomenon. It begins with an "f" and ends with "ism". sad smiley

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: July 17, 2012 10:57AM

hey tamukhs

what is that word that begins with f and ends with ism that u mentioned?
i dunno

cue me in

i remember cafeteria food in elementary school
it looked and tasted like something u could put on ice and use as a hockey puck

its a wonder i did not become brain damaged

er... maybe i did?

Date: July 19, 2012 03:17PM

Its funny.
In my little local newspaper I always go to the school menu section first to see what they are feeding kids.Its all flour,sugar,milk,and meat in a variety of shapes and forms.
I sometimes want to slip in some fresh apples or lettuce leaves in the cafeteria window.
But would they eat it??

Date: July 19, 2012 04:49PM

No. They would not eat it. There is the habit of eating tasty junk. When the brain has been hijacked by this habit, it is hard to break away. food now has to have a strong good taste and it has to be high calorie food. In pizza, you have to battle the taste of the flavor, the drugs of the cheese (from milk so that baby cows don't scape from the mother), the drug of the wheat (addictive too) and the drug of biting on a high calorie food (your brains rewards you when you find high calorie food). If you offer kids either pizza or apple, they go for the pizza. Case lost.

Date: July 19, 2012 11:21PM

I agree with all you said.

Its sad that its this way.

The fall of man manifests itself so evidently in the world of food.

Posted by: jalanutan ()
Date: July 24, 2012 02:51PM

OMG, as in the new in Oz is some research that says that obesity is now rampant in India due to the influx of fast food outlets.

Don't these companies have a conscience???

jalan

Posted by: chat ()
Date: July 24, 2012 03:04PM

And how's that companies' responsibility to have conscience here?smiling smiley Children are exception of course, but adults who consume fast food are not puppets, THEY are supposed to have conscience. I suppose in India it is still possible to find healthy food, so if someone wants to fatten himself up and even pays for it, I'd say it's a free countrysmiling smiley

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Date: July 24, 2012 03:58PM

jalanutan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OMG, as in the new in Oz is some research that
> says that obesity is now rampant in India due to
> the influx of fast food outlets.
>
> Don't these companies have a conscience???
>
> jalan
No.
Only A desire for profit.

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: July 24, 2012 04:36PM

> jalanutan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> >
> > Don't these companies have a conscience???

eaglefly Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No.
> Only A desire for profit.

The Social Function of Profit and Loss -

[mises.org]

A corporation or company or business is in business to make money(make a PROFIT). If there was no demand from INDIVIDUALS for their product, they would not make a Profit and would go out of business.

Corporations or Companies or Businesses provide JOBS.

It is up to the INDIVIDUAL (Individual Responsibility) to make the Choice on whether or not to Buy the Product.

Date: July 25, 2012 03:08PM

Ok
But taste will rule

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables