Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

This actually made me laugh smiling smiley)
Posted by: chat ()
Date: August 11, 2012 02:03PM

A friend posted this photo on facebook, i know nigella lawson but no idea who is this gillian mckeith, does she really look that bad? lol

It made me laugh partly because I was thinking about something similar recently. I bumped into an oldish article on calories restriction, with photos of current leaders of that movement, and thought to myself geez they are skinny! Guys in particular, I thought because they are so skinny they are not sexually attractive. This is wholly personal of course, because what attracts one will not attract another, but that's exactly what I thought: thank god my partner is not into this kind of thing!smiling smileysmiling smiley

And then there is an arguably valid argument from those who say, I'd rather live shorter life and enjoy it, than live longer life restricting myself constantly. Like buying an iPhone and putting it in all sorts of cases and covering it with all sorts of films, to prolong its good looks. Well one may say what's the point, since you cannot see its good looks behind all of those cases and films anyway!

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: This actually made me laugh smiling smiley)
Date: August 11, 2012 02:07PM

P.s. I've just realised in the picture there is an "m" word which must not be named, so the disclaimer is just ignore it as I didn't post the picture to promote animal products or discuss them in any way, but simply because the picture seemed funny to me and made me think, so I shared it.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 11, 2012 02:46PM

This is funny. I think it helps,and I preface this as someone that is a Nigella fan, that Nigella has had a really, really easy ride in life; she grew up affluent and has stayed affluent, with a modicum of effort. Whereas Gillian McKeith runs around the UK dutifully hollering at common people, doctors and government ministers that everyone must eat more plant foods and take more exercise. McKeith literally tears her hair out about rising obesity rates in the UK, whereas Nigella's whole schtick is hedonism, but of the genteel, Harrod's Food Hall kind.

There is a rather alarming history of cancer in Nigella Lawson's family, and I think her deliberateness about being indifferent to what she eats and how much exercise she gets may be a means of dealing with this risk. You know, fiddling while Rome burns. But that's me playing armchair psychologist. smiling smiley

Still, your Facebook buddy should be reminded that looking outwardly gorgeous is not the same as being healthy, and that one example of a haggard-looking health advocate does not a statistic make. A good joke, but not a statistic.

Date: August 11, 2012 03:09PM

Totally agree that this in no way a statistic, in fact this is why it seemed funny to me: not for a second did it shake my belief that being healthy and eating healthy foods will result in one looking better than otherwise.

Thanks Tamukha for explaining about Gillian, it make sense! I think my friend realises that healthy eating is good, and she wants too but finds it difficult to restrict herself from things she enjoys. And her posting this picture was something like "ha! here's my excuse!" but at the same time not really being serious. smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2012 03:19PM by chat.

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: August 12, 2012 12:01AM

Number 1 - That's a particularly bad photo of McKeith and a good one of Lawson.

Here's a better one --

Here's one of chubby Nigella Lawson --

Number 2 - Lawson has extra weight on her - when a woman gets older, an extra twenty pounds makes her face look much better, less lines and wrinkles. Whereas an underweight older woman looks much older than her age.

When you eat healthy, you're skinny and your face doesn't look so good when you get older, like McKeith.

When you eat "bad", you're twenty pounds overweight, and your face looks better, like Lawson, which these photos illustrate.

Take twenty pounds off Lawson and put it on McKeith and there would be a big difference.

Number 3 - Lawson was just plain born better looking than McKeith. That's life. So it's totally incredible to say one person is better looking because of the way they eat. You would have to compare twins, one who eats healthy, the other who eats SAD for years, to make it a scientific comparison.

Raw foodists who are very skinny look awful, but are they too skinny because of the diet or because of the condition their body is in from the years of eating unhealthily.

Skinny raw foodists look like they're all 'skin and bones' -

Is it the diet that is at fault?

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: August 12, 2012 01:27AM

Would someone after awhile start to look better in their new skin? and no just skin and bones?

Date: August 12, 2012 08:45AM

KidRaw, that is a much better picture of Gillian indeed! I think whoever made the original comparison did it with a joke in mind, that's why they chose the best and the worst pictures respectivelysmiling smiley

Tamukha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is a rather alarming history of cancer in
> Nigella Lawson's family, and I think her
> deliberateness about being indifferent to what she
> eats and how much exercise she gets may be a means
> of dealing with this risk. You know, fiddling
> while Rome burns. But that's me playing armchair
> psychologist. smiling smiley

That's what I sometimes think about, that it seems a valid argument. Someone like Nigella might say: "Look, there is this cancer history in my family, but even more to the point we are all going to die sooner or later. So rather than worrying about it and desperately trying to change something that could turn out to be negligible, and in the process make my life less enjoyable, why not forget it and enjoy the life while you can. I honestly would rather live 51 years without such worries, doing what I want and eating what I want, rather than live 81 years but restricting myself in some pleasures. Especially when, with my family's history of cancer, there is no guarantee I will live these 81 years anyway, diet or not."

What I mean, if she said this, it's sort of understandable, one could only reply fair enough!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2012 08:47AM by chat.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 12, 2012 01:12PM

Touché, KidRaw smiling smiley

Date: August 12, 2012 01:32PM

Saw this online -

"A shot of a celebrity in a Survivor-style reality game show (I'm a Celebrity) without her makeup, in the wilderness, side by side with a red carpet shot of a woman two years her junior and taken during a Bruno premiere in 2009 is cute but manipulative."

BTW, a person who was breastfed has a proper mouth, teeth, jaw alignment development in comparison to those unfortunates who were bottle-fed.

[news.bbc.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2012 01:42PM by KidRaw.

Date: August 13, 2012 02:02AM

Bo Derek: Still a Perfect 10

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables