Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Interesting Bike
Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: September 17, 2012 01:54AM

So she's doing this for fun. To each his own. Me, I'd rather have a nice big comfortable safe car.

With six kids and no car, this mom does it all by bike

[bikeportland.org]

Actually, it looks pretty dangerous to me to be having kids out on the road in the open like that. I don't even like it when I see those women with their babies or little kids in those stroller things on the side of the road. We saw two women with a double kiddie stroller thing pushing it over a blind hill on the side where the car would just pop over the hill and hit them.

Oh, they're called 'jogging strollers','off-road strollers', 'all terrain strollers'.

[www.diapers.com]

No, I don't like them at all - too dangerous. Takings your kids life in your hands. Worse than the guys who ride motorcycles, which my brother-in-law did and got in two accidents and he's now screwed up and in pain for life.

We rode one of these bikes at Virginia Beach this summer -

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2012 02:05AM by KidRaw.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Interesting Bike
Posted by: veganjuice ()
Date: September 17, 2012 02:16AM

Ridiculous to put young kids lives in danger like that, IMHO. I'm a biker, and I would never dream of strapping my kids into a heavy, highly unmaneuverable contraption like that.

I can't see any lights or reflectors, guess they don't ride at night.

Wonder if she has insurance...

Just because you "can" do something, doesn't mean you should.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: September 17, 2012 02:32AM

I love it! I see a few of those in my hometown, which is very bike friendly. But Kid, the back part is not the usual part of it. The front Amsterdam thing is actually safer than a back trailer! And we are talking Portland, which is probably the most bike-friendly locale in the country. It's not some type of busy street where you'd see bikers whizzing by. If you notice, there's a bike lane, too.

I love riding a bike. I don't drive and never have had a license. I would hate to be in a metal box on a beautiful day like today! smiling smiley

Posted by: back2eden ()
Date: September 18, 2012 01:33AM

[lightfootcycles.com]

I have just finished designing a fully enclosed high performance 3 wheel bike. How do I post a picture of it?

Posted by: chat ()
Date: September 18, 2012 04:49PM

Me too, i'd rather have a comfortable car instead, that thing in the picture look rigiculous smiling smiley

On beautiful warm days you just take the top off, on rainy days you put it back on and listen to the music of rain drops hitting the roof. Or put your own music on, and add some warmth if its cold.

Yeh, I like my bike and take it out when i feel like it, but to rely on it for everyday needs - nah, i like comfort too much winking smiley

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Date: September 18, 2012 06:19PM

Alan, I only know how to add a photo if it's on a webpage. I don't know how to add one directly from My Pictures. But if you upload a photo from My Pictures to a photo sharing site - like Shutterfly or Photobucket then you can upload it online by right clicking on the photo and clicking on "View Image Info' and copy and paste the "Location" here, like this -

[www.ehow.com]

Date: September 18, 2012 10:31PM

I don't drive in a car to a gym to do exercise. I like the holistic feeling of exercising in the fresh air without polluting the environment. I love simplicity over "comfort." But then, I would rather camp out than stay at a fancy hotel. smiling smiley

Date: September 19, 2012 09:13PM

I don't drive in a car to a gym to do exercise either, I walk there instead as it's just around the corner from where I work smiling smiley Fresh air exercising is great, though not everyone will have the opportunity, sometimes you just have to make do with what you've got.

Interesting that I like simplicity too, quite a lot actually. But then arriving at a comfortable hotel room with jacuzzi waiting and dinner being prepared, sorta seems very simple to me - and comfortable at the same time winking smiley Just as with bikes, sometimes we do go camping and we love it. But for most of the travels (I do it a lot for work), I'd rather stay in a hotel winking smiley

Date: September 19, 2012 09:32PM

To each his own. You said the bike looked ridiculous and I think it looks cool. I think most cars looks ridiculous. SUVS? Ugh. Just my opinion. I am not into the whole pampered life thing. I am more of the Amish mindset. smiling smiley

Date: September 19, 2012 09:54PM

Yep each to it's own, that's why many of us are different! Makes the world an interesting place to live. Yeh I love being pampered smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2012 09:54PM by chat.

Date: September 19, 2012 11:08PM

LOL--I have found that down-to-earth things feel better to me. I have been in "snazzy" places and they usually seem overpriced and overhyped. What is a jacuzzi--a hot tub? I have been in a hot tub before--no big whoop. I can draw a bath and it's the same thing. Or a hotel costing hundred of dollars a night. I always consider the value of it versus the status aspect.

Date: September 20, 2012 03:04AM

Yep it's a brand of a hot tub - have you seen Shrek 2, where they take a bath in the swamp and pass wind underwater to create bubbles? That's the idea, but in jacuzzi bubbles are created by the system, or rather jets of water which create small whirlpools underwater while you are taking the bathsmiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2012 03:08AM by chat.

Date: September 20, 2012 09:38PM

banana who Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> To each his own. You said the bike looked
> ridiculous and I think it looks cool. I think most
> cars looks ridiculous. SUVS? Ugh. Just my opinion.
> I am not into the whole pampered life thing. I am
> more of the Amish mindset. smiling smiley

LOL - Well, don't hold back your feelings, banana who! winking smiley

I wouldn't say cars look ridiculous, though. To me, many of them are a work of art.

Date: September 20, 2012 10:16PM

Veganjuice, I love cars from the '50s and '60s! You are right--they are like masterpieces. If I had the choice of current cars, I'd get a Volvo, Saab, or VW with the hatchback. But surely you are not in awe of SUVs. I guess it's the whole thing that goes along with it that I am not into. I happen to live in SUV-Land, LOL.

Chat, I may have been in a jacuzzi in a health club before and I will give you that it is probably very relaxing. I think you can get a jet to hook up to your own tub to make bubbbles--your very own jacuzzi! smiling smiley

Date: September 20, 2012 10:49PM

Wow, thanks, veganjuice, for the website!

Alan, here's a website where you can upload your My Pictures photo and share it on a message board -

[tinypic.com]

Date: September 21, 2012 12:39AM

banana who Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Veganjuice, I love cars from the '50s and '60s!
> You are right--they are like masterpieces. If I
> had the choice of current cars, I'd get a Volvo,
> Saab, or VW with the hatchback. But surely you are
> not in awe of SUVs. I guess it's the whole thing
> that goes along with it that I am not into. I
> happen to live in SUV-Land, LOL.
>
> Chat, I may have been in a jacuzzi in a health
> club before and I will give you that it is
> probably very relaxing. I think you can get a jet
> to hook up to your own tub to make bubbbles--your
> very own jacuzzi! smiling smiley

I love cars from the beginning up until about the mid 80's. From that point on, they started becoming very generic, with a few exceptions. SUV's have their place if you live in an area where they are needed, but I don't agree with every soccer mom having one to tool around town in.

Date: September 21, 2012 01:01AM

If I were a soccer mom, I'd have a Volvo. I love the clean design. I dislike sports cars. I mean, I am sure people buy them for what they can do--go 300 MPH. But I am more into the utilitarian aspect. And Hummers? Puleeze.

Posted by: brome ()
Date: September 21, 2012 07:18PM

Here's an interesting thread about the Colorado law requiring cars to give bicycles 3 feet of leeway:

[www.supertopo.com]

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: September 21, 2012 08:42PM

That’s a great Law!!!

One of the comments reminded me of something that happened to me.

Here’s the comment…

“Its a law here too, in Connecticut. There are a lot of dynamics in motorists' behavior though. In New Haven, motorists are generally angry you are on the road. People have threatened to run me over, among other things.”

About 15 years ago or so I actually had this guy try to clip me as he passed me. He was already too close to begin with, but he made an obvious attempt to clip my front wheel as he passed. And then, this idiot had the nerve to pull into a parking lot a couple of hundred yards ahead of me to wait for me, which I too was eagerly wanting to have some words with him. As soon as I pulled up to his car, he said, son, I just want you to know if I would have hit you and killed you, it would have been your fault. Of course, I immediately knew what this meant and I said to him, oh, you’re trying to teach me a lesson - aren’t you?

So I reached inside his car and I pulled his glasses off and said, you aren’t going anywhere - I’m going to find a cop to make sure you don’t pull this stunt again because by law, I have to ride in the street. He immediately got out of his car and since he was around 6’ 5”, I guess he thought he could intimidate me, but this guy was like 70 years old with a huge pot belly. He actually tried to chase me, but I was easily able to slowly peddle around in circles while I was looking for a cop car or a telephone to call the police. Within a few minutes I noticed a Fire Truck and the Firemen coming out of a Grocery store right across the street and biked over to them and explained what happened so they could give his glasses back after they explained that bicycles have to ride in the street.

Right about a year after this happened I heard that OJ had done something very similar to what I had done regarding the glasses and he ruined my story. I can’t help but laugh when I think of this because I didn’t think about it, I just knew this idiot needed to be set straight.

good bike rules
Posted by: back2eden ()
Date: September 28, 2012 01:05AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables