Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Anyone else potentially going to be inconvenienced by Hurricane Sandy?
Posted by: HH ()
Date: October 27, 2012 02:06PM

Ugh. I'm in Pittsburgh and live in the 'hood. This could get interesting. Went and got spring water this morning. If the power goes out, is it okay if I eat some canned organic food or will my raw card get revoked? smiling smiley Oh pleeeeeease let the power not go out. I hate inconvenience!!!!! I'm a spoiled first-worlder!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone else potentially going to be inconvenienced by Hurricane Sandy?
Posted by: riverhousebill ()
Date: October 27, 2012 02:43PM

Im in Pont Pleasant N.J. visting family I fly out today at 4.30nwr.
My family are in the comercal fishing buss, My brotherinlaw fishing 35 years plus is my weather guru. he says it will hit and hard no way to miss with this Eruo model figures and Sandy. Im glad Im out today. Looks like what they say
FRANKENSTORM global warming storm?

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: October 27, 2012 04:16PM

HH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ugh. I'm in Pittsburgh and live in the 'hood. This
> could get interesting. Went and got spring water
> this morning. If the power goes out, is it okay if
> I eat some canned organic food or will my raw card
> get revoked? smiling smiley Oh pleeeeeease let the power not
> go out. I hate inconvenience!!!!! I'm a spoiled
> first-worlder!!!!

You will be denied access to the forum if you become lower than 99%. Lol i jest.

Take care Eric, ive never experienced a proper hurricane before. We had hurricane "Bawbag" LOL here recently which was nothing to the scale you guys get them over the pond.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2012 04:16PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: NGU ()
Date: October 27, 2012 05:13PM

I'm on Long Island NY waiting for the hit sad smiley

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: October 27, 2012 08:56PM

Central Virginia. We're either getting a lot of rain or two feet of snow. I just got back from Whole Foods and the local HFS with supplies of fruit and vegetables, coconut. I have it all figured out how to stay raw for days if the power goes out by preparing some stuff beforehand (raw spread to go on raw bread, raw cinnamon rolls, raw dessert) I'll make my green smoothies in advance and let them sit in the refrigerator, in individual jars, one for each day, so they won't be so fresh, but oh, well. I'm filling up glass jars with water, buckets of water for the toilet, filling the tub with water. I filled up my tank with gas today and I'll sweep the driveway of leaves before the rain starts, so it won't be slippery. All the plants and stuff from outdoors I put inside. I have the fireplace ready to go if the power goes out, batteries, radios, flashlights, candles. We have a landline phone that usually works even if there's no electricity. The worst problem is withdrawal from going online - I'll have to read books and magazines like I did in the old days.

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: October 27, 2012 10:11PM

I got a lill generator. Last big storm it saved me. But this storm could mess me up as it is supposed to pass during workdays and I won't be home to fire up the generator (for the sump pump).

Date: October 28, 2012 01:20AM

Best of luck to all of you. I'm in freaking Pittsburgh so my concerns are relatively mild. Here's to hoping that all nuclear reactors along the coast are secure.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: October 29, 2012 02:30PM

My son is in Washington D.C.

They should quit messing with the chem trails and weather programs..how do we know that humans have not caused a storm to be even bigger than it would have been?

Everyone in the path of Hurricane Sandy...stay safe!

Love,
Prism

Date: October 29, 2012 06:43PM

My 68 year brother has decided to ride this storm out on his 80ft steel drager the Leah, docked in Point Pleasant N.J. Im not thrilled about this course he is taking.
Late tonight it will hit hard on N.J. coast. Eruo model, cold front, Moon,
and Sandy will make for deep flooding and surge damage

Date: October 29, 2012 07:07PM

You've go to talk him out of it! It's now scheduled to hit land at 6:00 p.m. tonight instead of 2:00 a.m. Tuesday. It's supposed to touch down at the Delaware Bay. I've got family in NYC, NJ and Baltimore and I'm real worried about them. There will be 90+ mph winds for hours, but the water will be the worst part. We have a blizzard warning until 2:00 tomorrow.

[climaterealists.com]

[beforeitsnews.com]

Nuclear Reactor worry -

[www.alternet.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2012 07:19PM by KidRaw.

Date: October 29, 2012 09:47PM

The wind is horrific! My lights are flickering and I feel the power will go soon. There's a steady, pelting rain. This storm is worse than hurricane Irene and that made me nearly peed my pants last year sad smiley

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: October 29, 2012 09:58PM

I've been watching live feed on youtube.com and the weather station. It's pretty cool to watch it live as I don't have tv and only have my Internet.

Hang in there NGU...hopefully power stays on for you.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: October 30, 2012 12:19AM

Stay safe, all! I am sure you guys won't be able to post for several days due to power outages! Or do smartphones circumvent all that? I have no idea how that works...

Date: October 30, 2012 12:53AM

Half of Atlantic City decided to snub evacuation orders, Sounds like the making of a real disaster. My brother is docked a t the Coopertive Fish dock on Channel drive, mabey 1,000 ft from the Atlantic. In a reg hurricane its a good idea to be on board, plan being pull away from docks pilings ect and be blown ashore with boat in mud flats near Gull Island Point Peasant, This one scares me because its off the chart aleady surge levels. Talk about extreme weathers?
My brother could not be talked out of this one, I said before he was on his drager the Leah, that was his last boat, He is on the Jammie May out of Point Pleasant N.J
Good thoughts to my bro, and the rest in the path off furry hang tight folks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2012 01:01AM by riverhousebill.

Date: October 30, 2012 12:59AM

Watching The Weather Channel on Youtube: [www.youtube.com]

Date: October 30, 2012 01:11AM

It's been downgraded to a post-tropical storm, but still powerful --

[iwitness.weather.com]

[www.facebook.com]

At Battery Park: Surge 8.6ft, Water level 13.2ft -- 1.7ft higher than previous record.

Lower Manhattan submerged.

Date: October 30, 2012 01:32AM

The mayor of Atlantic City went rogue and defied Christie's evacuation order. He told the residents that it would be no biggie and to go a little inland.

riverhousebill Wrote:
> Half of Atlantic City decided to snub evacuation
> orders, Sounds like the making of a real disaster.
> My brother is docked a t the Coopertive Fish dock
> on Channel drive, mabey 1,000 ft from the
> Atlantic. In a reg hurricane its a good idea to
> be on board, plan being pull away from docks
> pilings ect and be blown ashore with boat in mud
> flats near Gull Island Point Peasant, This one
> scares me because its off the chart aleady surge
> levels. Talk about extreme weathers?
> My brother could not be talked out of this one, I
> said before he was on his drager the Leah, that
> was his last boat, He is on the Jammie May out of
> Point Pleasant N.J
> Good thoughts to my bro, and the rest in the path
> off furry hang tight folks.

Date: October 30, 2012 02:13AM

Thanks for that great link to the YouTube Weather Channel - my daughter's lives a couple blocks over in lower Manhattan.

Atlantic City under water -

[twitpic.com]

[instagram.com]

Date: October 30, 2012 03:07AM

Oh boy...Heard there's a hospital on fire in NYC sad smiley Listening to a police scanner [www.radioreference.com]

Date: October 30, 2012 12:48PM

We still have 45 mph winds, but our power never went out, and we didn't get snow. I didn't sleep much last night worrying about a tree falling on the house. That's how some people died in the storm - a tree falling on their house.

Here's a video about Long Island. NGU must have lost power. Think of all the water damage to the houses -

[video.today.msnbc.msn.com]

(Scroll down for other videos on the storm)

My daughter in lower Manhattan still had power last night. Funny how young people are so brave and unconcerned (and sometimes stupid) in the face of danger. She and her boyfriend had walked over to look at the river earlier when it was flooding and I was worried they'd get carried away.

This is interesting video of the flooding in NYC and a building with one side ripped off --

[www.weather.com]

Look at these fabulous photos and other great videos about the storm --

[www.weather.com]

Sandy actually was a good name for the storm when you see the beach towns covered in sand -

[www.weather.com]

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: October 30, 2012 01:15PM

I had no trouble with the storm even though I was on the center. Slept like a baby smiling smiley

Date: October 30, 2012 01:21PM

Thanks for the good wishes, everyone. I had power cuts about 20 times last night(it's 9.22am 10/30 now). Thankfully it came on back quickly each time, within seconds in some cases. Now I know what a 90 mph wind feels like. That's the reading for my town according to the weather station. At one point the wind hit something so loud that my right ear blocked up for about 10 mins. This morning I went outside to find the yard littered with broken branches, however, they are small to medium sized. I have 6 huge trees in my yard and, man, they stood up like champions smiling smiley. We had no flooding but other parts of the town were not so lucky. Three houses away from me, I saw a tree in the yard split into two. Half upright and half on the ground. We can't use the tap water for drinking, many roads are closed but some are gradually opening. New Jersey and Manhattan seem to be pretty hard hit. All in all I'd say we came out ok in my part of town. My sympathy for others who have been hard hit.

Date: October 30, 2012 05:41PM

A natural disaster brings out the best in us - and the worst. Twitter makes it easy for low-lifes to coordinate crime -

People devising looting sprees via Twitter in wake of Hurricane Sandy may find armed resistance waiting for them

[www.naturalnews.com]

Gangs Plan Hurricane Looting Spree Via Twitter

[www.infowars.com]

Hurricane Sandy: Looters Tweeting Plans for Frankenstorm Mayhem

[news.gather.com]

Date: October 30, 2012 06:42PM

I think that a lot of those tweets are just kids talking. On the other hand, I suspect that people who actually do things like that will someday be the first idiots to give "the man" a good excuse to introduce martial law to the land of the free.

KidRaw Wrote:
> A natural disaster brings out the best in us - and
> the worst. Twitter makes it easy for low-lifes to
> coordinate crime -
>
> People devising looting sprees via Twitter in wake
> of Hurricane Sandy may find armed resistance
> waiting for them
>
> [www.naturalnews.com]
> e_Sandy_armed_resistance.html
>
> Gangs Plan Hurricane Looting Spree Via Twitter
>
> [www.infowars.com]
> ng-spree-via-twitter/
>
> Hurricane Sandy: Looters Tweeting Plans for
> Frankenstorm Mayhem
>
> [news.gather.com]
> d=281474981730003

Date: November 02, 2012 01:59PM

Two things relating to this storm really get on my nerves.

One is - why would you build a house or choose to live near the ocean or on the beach knowing your house may be ruined by flooding?

And if you do, I hope the Government doesn't make me pay for your stupid choice.

Now this drives me crazy -

There were certain zones around NYC, (also NJ and MD shore towns) that were told to evacuate in advance of the storm - Staten Island was one of them -

SOME PEOPLE CHOSE NOT TO EVACUATE

The idiots who chose not to evacuate ended up dead or trying to get out at the last minute causing life threatening danger for others trying to help them.

Here's an example - this woman chose not to evacuate, and her two kids are now dead -

[www.huffingtonpost.com]

When you have children, you don't take chances with their lives.

Another story about an idiot who decided to stay -

[www.nydailynews.com]

"Despite repeated warnings to evacuate the Zone A district, many residents chose to stay and guard their homes, unwilling to believe the storm would be as ferocious or deadly as officials warned. It was a decision they all now regret."

Around 4 a.m., more than seven hours after flood waters peaked at about 12 feet in this low-lying densely-residential area, Norris’ elderly mother finally gave up her battle against the elements.

“She said: ‘Diane, I can’t do this anymore’ and she just went down in my arms. And I couldn’t hold her.”

Ella Norris died inside the Buel Ave. apartment in the early hours of Tuesday morning as Hurricane Sandy wreaked devastation on this close-knit Staten Island community.

The body of James Rossi Sr., a retired longshoreman who had also refused to evacuate, was recovered from his home at about noon Wednesday.

Family members spent the day prior circling the house in kayaks hoping the octogenarian might still be alive.

They spotted his dog lying dead on the stove, but had to wait until waters finally subsided enough to find Rossi’s corpse in the back.

"He was one of the hold outs. An old school guy,” said cousin Joe Miley, 68. "He wanted to stay there."

My daughter in lower Manhattan ended up losing her power and we haven't heard from her since the night of the storm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2012 02:10PM by KidRaw.

Date: November 02, 2012 10:33PM

OMG, Kid Raw...I wish you the best. How are you holding up? I mean, the weird thnig is that I don't have tv hookup but I watch bits of the news online and it's odd to me that in Manhattan and the like, they claim there's no food but they have their cell phones. So somewhere they are able to get charged up.

Did your daughter say she was going to wait it out? Could she have decided to go to a shelter? I am wondering if you plan to go to NYC or what?

I don't think they should rescue people who chose to stay. However, I know that Staten Island is a workingclass area and were there viable shelters? I am wondering if perhaps only the wealthy had the means of going out of town.

Date: November 02, 2012 11:59PM

We finally heard from her this afternoon for a while before her cell ran out. She's not doing so well because although the power might get turned on by tomorrow night, they won't have any heat or hot water for at least a week, so she's cold and has to have showers and wash her hair in cold water. She said they go down to Hell's Kitchen for food. She was really stressed out and wanted me to try to get her a reservation out of NYC by train to go to her sister in Baltimore. So I spent a couple hours taking care of it, but she has no way to get to Penn Station, because there are no subways and no taxis so I've got to work on calling a taxi to make a reservation for her to get to the train station, but at the station it could take forever to pick up her ticket. At Baltimore she'll have to take a taxi to her sister's apartment, and she only has $40 left. So she's trying to decide if it's worth it or she should just rough it out. But it's supposed to get cold - 30's at night and next week we may get a nor'easter up the coast. I've been stressed out this afternoon, since communicating with her - I text her through email. I think I took on her anxiety because I was really feeling bad for hours. Maybe she should just stay where she is because trying to get to Baltimore could be worse.

They have charging stations for their cell phones, but you have to wait a long time in line. I heard people can't get money from the ATM's, people are hungry and cold, and there's no water to drink, and it's dangerous because of gangs, etc.

There are shelters all over the place, so people should have evacuated.

I don't think it makes a difference if a person was wealthy or not, but maybe how much cash they had on hand when this happened.

Date: November 03, 2012 12:10AM

Why didn't she evacuate? Was she thinking she would be able to handle the aftermath? And do you know what kind of shelters they have for those who did evacuate? I am wondering if they had enough shelters if everyone did as they were told.

The worst thing is to be cold. We happen to live in a suburb that gets above-normal outages (and not always because of storms, either). Once it during winter and the cold plus dark was not fun.

Date: November 03, 2012 12:25AM

Well, I just got this text/email from her, so I'm happy now!

"Ok we got electricity back so now it's just the hot water and heat and I can survive it so you can cancel the ticket. Thanks for helping though! I appreciate it! smiling smiley "

Zone A was told to evacuate and she's a few blocks over from that zone, so she didn't evacuate. She lives with her boyfriend and cat so I'm glad she wasn't alone during the whole thing. She said the cat was fine because she had everything she needs. There were shelters all over, but I have no idea what they would be like. I know I sure wouldn't be able to sleep if I was in one of them.

Yes, I hate to be cold, too, that's one reason we moved down to Virginia. Although during the heat wave this summer, we had a five day power outage, and it was 98 to 103 every day and it was awful.

I guess the thing is - be prepared. Have water, food, cash, blankets, on hand.

Date: November 03, 2012 12:33AM

Oh that's good about her electricity. I was just reading that some people from Staten Island were not told to evacuate. That is strange, given that it's an island but whatever...

I wouldn't want to be at a shelter but if it's heated, I might consider it. Some of these people were staying in their vestibule because their apts. had electric locks and could not be opened! That is why I am very old school about such stuff. When you have to rely on electricity to open your car or house, when you only have a debit card and people make a run on the ATM, then you're screwed.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables