Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

your glymphatic system
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: November 01, 2013 09:45PM

the glymphatic system is the lymphatic system of the brain. this is a better explanation of the news I posted days earluer here [www.rawfoodsupport.com]

[articles.mercola.com]

"What Is the Glymphatic System?

In your body, the lymphatic system is the system responsible for eliminating cellular waste products. However, the lymphatic system does not include your brain. The reason for this is that your brain is a closed system, protected by the blood-brain barrier, which controls what can go through and what cannot.

In a previous animal study,8 Dr. Nedergaard showed that the brain actually has its own unique waste disposal system, similar to that of the lymphatic system. This system, called the glymphatic system, “piggybacks” on the blood vessels in your brain. The “g” in glymphatic is a nod to “glial cells”—the brain cells that manage this system.

By pumping cerebral spinal fluid through your brain’s tissues, the glymphatic system flushes the waste, from your brain, back into your body’s circulatory system. From there, the waste eventually reaches your liver, where it’s ultimately eliminated.

During sleep, the glymphatic system becomes 10 times more active than during wakefulness. Simultaneously, your brain cells are reduced in size by about 60 percent.

This creates more space in-between the cells, giving the cerebrospinal fluid more space to flush out the debris. Amyloid-beta, for example—proteins that form the notorious plaque found in the brains of Alzheimer’s patients—is removed in significantly greater quantities during sleep. As stated by Time Magazine:9

“The findings raise interesting questions about how sleep may affect the progression of Alzheimer’s or other neurogenerative disorders, but they also provide a strong warning for anybody who skips sleep. The short version: don’t.”

According to Dr. Nedergaard:10

“The brain only has limited energy at its disposal and it appears that it must choose between two different functional states — awake and aware or asleep and cleaning up. You can think of it like having a house party. You can either entertain the guests or clean up the house, but you can’t really do both at the same time.

...These findings have significant implications for treating ‘dirty brain’ disease like Alzheimer’s. Understanding precisely how and when the brain activates the glymphatic system and clears waste is a critical first step in efforts to potentially modulate this system and make it work more efficiently.”
"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: your glymphatic system
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: November 02, 2013 03:27AM

interesting article
thanks

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: November 02, 2013 02:11PM

Is 8 hours still considered the magic number? I have actually heard we could sleep ten hours and this was from a raw-fooder. But I feel like if I sleep 8 hours I get enough sleep and more might create grogginess.

Have you guys heard about the TIME we should go to sleep? I read somewhere that you get a better quality of sleep if you go to bed at 10 pm and wake up at 6 versus midnight-8 am. I think I have proved that to be true, as well.

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: November 02, 2013 08:47PM

there are substances like cortisol levels (swing every day the same) and circadiam rythms that affect the mood for sleep. But sleeping plenty of time is good to clean the waste products from the brain. These byproducts if not removed cold cause chronic problems or mutations.

Date: November 28, 2013 01:50AM

banana who i heard something similar

relating to sleeping prior to 10

resulting in greater physiological health

i don't remember the exact reasons why

except that supposedly a lot of cellular healing agents do their work

a lot more profusely during those hours

or something like that

would be interested in learning more about this too

i think its important

though i believe that the number of "essential" hours definitely varies person to person depending on their diet / amt of calories, energy expenditure

what they have to do tomorrow e.g. if you are running a marathon tomorrow
u better get LOTS of rest

but if you are planning to just have a picnic by the lake tomorrow
its not as crucial to get full hours etc.

uhh.. something like that...

i'm definitely not the sleep expert

though it would behoove me to learn more... a LOT more

Posted by: vermontnl ()
Date: November 29, 2013 12:44PM

One can pump the glymphatic system by pushing on the roof of the mouth lightly repetitively. This help move the fluids also.

Date: November 29, 2013 09:48PM

really vermontl?

that sounds interesting

first time i heard that

thanks for sharing

Posted by: vermontnl ()
Date: November 30, 2013 12:48PM

Bruno Chickly technique - Lymphatic Drainage Therapies

[chiklyinstitute.org]

I learned it in workshops. I have found it helpful in cases of auto-immune disorders in the brain (MS, parakinson's, etc.)

One can use their tongue themselves on the roof of their mouth, but it is easier to use a clean or cotted finger.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables