Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

“Abandoned” Daughter or “Spoiled Brat”?
Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: March 05, 2014 04:27PM

“Abandoned” Daughter or “Spoiled Brat”? Teen Sues Her Parents for Cutting Off Tuition

An 18-year-old New Jersey student takes her family to court for her school bills

[www.salon.com]

"It’s hard for the many, many of us who cobbled together our educations while working thankless, crappy jobs to have a lot of sympathy for an able-bodied, intelligent girl who’d haul her parents into court to make them pay for college."

Teen Sues Parents for Cash, College Tuition. Does She Have a Case?

[shine.yahoo.com]

"A New Jersey teenager claiming that her mother and father tossed her out of their home and cut her off financially is suing them for immediate support, current private-school fees and future college tuition. The parents, meanwhile, say that daughter Rachel Canning, 18, moved out voluntarily after refusing to abide by their rules.

For months, Rachel — an honor student, cheerleader, and lacrosse player — has been living with the family of her best friend and classmate, Jaime Inglesino, whose father, attorney John Inglesino, is bankrolling Rachel’s lawsuit. He’s also requesting in the lawsuit that the Cannings reimburse him for the legal fees, so far totaling $12,597, according to the paper.

“This young woman is actually saying, ‘I want the court to compel my parents to continue to support me financially. That’s what’s unique in this case,” Mary Coogan, assistant director of the nonprofit Advocates for Children of New Jersey, tells Yahoo Shine. “So this young lady is in a unique situation because it does become very fact-sensitive. There’s really no law directly on point.” What families in similar situations have done, in Coogan’s experience, is to file for what’s called a “family crisis petition,” in which the court will try to mediate an agreeable outcome between the parents and their child.

Talking the situation through would be a better route than a lawsuit, Kenneth Neumann, a New York divorce mediator and psychologist with the Center for Mediation & Training, tells Yahoo Shine. “We often use the legal system as a way to deal with disagreements when we should be using therapy or mediation,” he says, noting that Rachel’s case is “extremely rare,” and that he’s “not had a case like this in 30 years,” with the most unique angle being that the parents are not in disagreement. Unfortunately for Rachel, Neumann says, “I don’t think she has much of a case. This sounds like just another 18-year-old who got into a thing with her parents.”

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: “Abandoned” Daughter or “Spoiled Brat”?
Posted by: HH ()
Date: March 05, 2014 04:37PM

I'm guessing that her best friend's attorney father is the one who's influencing her to do it. She's obviously already so spoiled that she's an easy mark for him, but yeah, I'm sure that he planted the seed.

Date: March 05, 2014 04:51PM

Well her father is an ex-cop so we know that he's doing well financially. Probably gets a yearly $500K pension.

Date: March 05, 2014 08:20PM

Still, they have three kids to put through private school and college.

Today's young people probably think it's a 'Right' to go to college on their parents' dime, and that it's their parents' responsibility to put them through college. It's their own responsibility. The parents' responsibility is to provide for their own retirement. Probably 75% of parents haven't saved enough to retire on, so the $120,000 should go for that - not for each of their children's college, because the children have a whole lifetime to make money, but the parents have almost no time left to save for retirement and then they're on a fixed income the rest of their lives. If there is more than one child, and the parents have to pay for all their college tuitions, yet retire and live on nothing the rest of their lives -- there's something wrong with that picture.

Date: March 05, 2014 08:27PM

Yeah, I was just being sarcastic with the cop pension topic. I never miss the chance to take a dig at public employees and their lavish retirements. You make great points.

Personally, I think she should have to go to welding school, spend some time with the proletariat and learn something useful. Then again, I think welding is one of those professions that's getting axed by the robot revolution. She could learn all kinds of lessons about life's harsh realities!

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: March 05, 2014 11:24PM

i knew a professor who had to support two children working full time when he went back to school to get a bachelors, then master's degree... he said it was waaaaaay tough but toughed it out.. maybe that spine is what got him his position

there is a lot to be said about working class discipline

makes you appreciate whatever you earn

very strange and bizarre case

Date: March 06, 2014 12:05AM

And his kids probably got to go to school for free wherever he taught. One of the perks of being a prof. smiling smiley

la_veronique Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i knew a professor who had to support two children
> working full time when he went back to school to
> get a bachelors, then master's degree... he said
> it was waaaaaay tough but toughed it out.. maybe
> that spine is what got him his position
>
> there is a lot to be said about working class
> discipline
>
> makes you appreciate whatever you earn
>
> very strange and bizarre case

Date: March 07, 2014 06:46AM

<<And his kids probably got to go to school for free wherever he taught. One of the perks of being a prof>>

probably

that's a good perk

Date: March 07, 2014 07:12PM

Here's the latest on the spoiled teen - it seems the conventional wisdom today is that the parents' responsibility is to pay for their childrens' exorbitant college fees rather than provide for their own retirement eye rolling smiley

Teen Suing Parents Rages at ‘Spoiled’ Baby Boomers

[nypost.com]

"The New Jersey parents being sued for tuition by their entitled teenager were excoriated in a Friday rant on her new Facebook page as “spoiled” baby boomers who would rather feather a retirement nest than pay their kids’ college bills.

“I have been stunned by the financial greed of modern parents who are more concerned with retiring into some fantasy world rather than provide for their children’s college and young adult years,” a poster — presumed to be Morris Catholic HS senior Rachel Canning or a supporter — wrote in the pre-dawn web screed."

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: March 07, 2014 07:51PM

KidRaw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here's the latest on the spoiled teen - it seems
> the conventional wisdom today is that the parents'
> responsibility is to pay for their childrens'
> exorbitant college fees rather than provide for
> their own retirement eye rolling smiley
>
> Teen Suing Parents Rages at ‘Spoiled’ Baby
> Boomers
>
> [nypost.com]
> by-boomers-are-the-spoiled-ones/
>
> "The New Jersey parents being sued for tuition by
> their entitled teenager were excoriated in a
> Friday rant on her new Facebook page as
> “spoiled” baby boomers who would rather
> feather a retirement nest than pay their kids’
> college bills.
>
> “I have been stunned by the financial greed of
> modern parents who are more concerned with
> retiring into some fantasy world rather than
> provide for their children’s college and young
> adult years,” a poster — presumed to be Morris
> Catholic HS senior Rachel Canning or a supporter
> — wrote in the pre-dawn web screed."

I don't know how things work these days. Do her parents still have time to put her up for adoption?

Let Inglesinos adopt and pay the way for his Frankenstein.

Date: March 13, 2014 01:59AM

This must have been a joyous Family Reunion eye rolling smiley

New Jersey Teen Who Sued Parents for Financial Support Returns Home

[www.foxnews.com]

The New Jersey teenager who left home and then sued her parents to force them to pay her private school tuition is back with her family, but her lawsuit is apparently still on.

Rachel Canning, 18, has reunited with her parents and siblings a week after a tense courtroom confrontation in which an angry judge called her spoiled and refused to force her mother and father to pony up. Word of the reunion came from Canning's attorney, Angelo Sarno, who added in a statement obtained by FoxNews.com that her "return home is not contingent on any financial and/or other considerations.”

The Canning family could not be reached for comment, but Sarno said he still represents her and the case is still on.

“We’re not going to talk about the merits of the case,” Sarno told reporters Wednesday. “She’s home. Respect it. Let’s not figure out what the motivation was.”

Date: March 14, 2014 04:58AM

i don't know what is stranger

this business of suing parents for tuition or

an entire plane disappearing from the sky

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables