Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Choosing a Domain Name - Need Advice.
Posted by: Simple Living ()
Date: March 14, 2008 01:39AM

I'm looking to start a website and thought of a name I would really like to use. I entered it to see if anyone else had it. I typed "www.nameiwanted.com" and the URL changed to "www.nameiwanted.co.uk"

Does this mean I can't use "www.nameiwanted.com"? What's the surefire way of seeing if a domain name is available?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Choosing a Domain Name - Need Advice.
Posted by: jono ()
Date: March 14, 2008 11:58AM

>>What's the surefire way of seeing if a domain name is available?

check the whois and see if anyone owns it and when the expiration will be if they don't renew:
[www.networksolutions.com]

generally a dot com is best... and if it's a serious business you might want to buy the most common tlds to prevent cocksuckers from stealing your traffic or diluting your brand.

the registrar you checked sounds kind of wacky...

I've used netfirms.com and they make it very clear if the domain you try is available or not

Posted by: Simple Living ()
Date: March 14, 2008 08:14PM

Thanks for the help. I found out what happened. The people who bought the .com address that I liked also bought the .co.uk address and are having traffic from the .com directed over to the .co.uk.

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: March 15, 2008 04:35PM

Be really careful when thinking about buying a domain. Some companies look at all the data of what people are looking at buying and then buy the good ones themselves. If you think of a good name, wait until you are ready and then buy it immediately after you have checked to see if it is available.

I use a small independent company to check/register domains, they are based in France (they do speak English), I've been using them for years and like them alot: [www.gandi.net]

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: March 16, 2008 07:28PM

You may want to check whois.net. That domain you mentioned in the first post is not registered to anyone.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables