Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

scientists create first human/animal embryo
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 03, 2008 07:54PM

wow. how can this not be so wrong?

[ca.news.yahoo.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: scientists create first human/animal embryo
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: April 04, 2008 01:06AM

Oh, we know next to nothing. They lasted only 3 days.

I think the most they will learn is something about eggs.

This is not about helping people (I don't think it will hurt much either) but like all biotech it is about making money and writing papers.

There are a lot of "good" papers still to be written. But it's hard to get funding for things that don't have a profit motive.

Posted by: Jose ()
Date: April 04, 2008 10:17AM

As usual the justification for these kinds of things is "technical" reasons: in this case they claim there "aren't enough" human eggs to go around and also it's "easier" to extract animal eggs.

I agree that of their supposed goal of learning about certain chronic diseases they will learn very little if anything with this approach.

Cheers,
J

Date: April 04, 2008 01:38PM

what the f? we've got the cure for chronic dis-ease right over here! come on over and study a few of us. better results for a fraction of the cost and no abominations along the way. geez.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 07, 2008 08:25AM

<<The embryos were created by injecting DNA taken from human skin cells into eggs derived from cow ovaries with almost all their genetic material stripped away, and lasted for three days in a laboratory.>>

hmmm... with "almost all their genetic material stripped away", its a wonder it lasted for even 3 days

then, it seems as if they were trying to isolate a certain gene or group of genes and see how they are expressed... i'm not sure why they would incorporate human skin cells though if this were the case

any ideas as to what could be their intent?
it is not in the least bit referred to or even implied in this article

Date: April 07, 2008 10:11PM

They removed the genetic material from the cow egg and put human DNA in it. The eventual goal is to get the cell to grow and produce proteins that might be helpful for human diseases such as Alzheimer's or Huntington's or whatever without actually having to use human eggs, of which there is a shortage. And it's so much easier to exploit the animals for their eggs, you know.

They are already doing something like this with bacteria, only they don't use human DNA, they just splice in a new sequence to get the bacteria to make the proteins they want. It only works for certain proteins, though.

Date: April 08, 2008 06:19AM

Huntington's is a very VERY haunting disease
i think it is a much different animal than Alzheimer's

i haven't heard of it ever being prevented through natural means since the gene for it is in your face ( in the DNA) and can't be ignored

have u heard of any breakthroughs in Huntington's arugula??

Date: April 08, 2008 07:31AM

Date: April 08, 2008 08:11AM

interesting

thanks arugula

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: April 12, 2008 11:52PM

do these people somehow never read science fiction?

or even, something a little more accessible, mythology?

i learned in Latin that the story of man and gods is about man's hubris screwing things up.... science has a little bit of hubris, doncha think? we can make better animal/human eggs than nature can.....

my husband brought home an article on biotech foods- because science can do it better.

i brought my baby back from the hospital and told them to keep their needles and paws off of her- nature didn't screw it up.

as for the article, arugula- i admit that some good can be done, but we don't know what the consequences are going to be- screwing with RNA can cause a lot of major problems that will take years to sort out. it's almost anti-darwinian to come up with elaborate and expensive treatments to solve the problems of the rarely diseased few. and so many of our diseases come from science, which is already screwing with human DNA in so many environmental ways.

i'm sceptical, a little bothered and scared, and finally
ew.

peace-

Date: April 22, 2008 05:57AM

Cool, Island of Dr. Monroe here we come!

Posted by: Context ()
Date: April 24, 2008 03:46AM

"what the f? we've got the cure for chronic dis-ease right over here! come on over and study a few of us. better results for a fraction of the cost and no abominations along the way. geez."

Exactly...

Date: April 25, 2008 06:29AM

we are more animal than animals

more animalistic than anything feral

Date: April 25, 2008 06:30AM

cuz only a savage like humanoids could have visited such creative abominations upon the earth

Date: April 25, 2008 06:32AM

we are already frankenoids fueled by franken-toys

welcome to the matrix

once i get my wings unhinged

i'm flying out of this labyrinth

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables