Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

green bulbs? not!
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 01, 2008 04:20AM

Today I learned compact flourecent bulbs have lots of merucy in them. If they break on carpet you have to take out where it broke. They also cause cancer just being under them. They have the same flickering as the long tubes. So I am now getting rid of them. I think LED lights are the way to go. Cheap to to run, very bright, no heat, long lasting. But I havent seen any in stores yet. Any one got some of these yet?

elnatural

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: green bulbs? not!
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 01, 2008 07:26AM

i didn't know that

are compact flourescent bulbs used in most businesses/stores etc?

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: May 01, 2008 12:28PM

They're expensive! You can get them from [www.ecoleds.com]

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: May 01, 2008 01:10PM

I saw on the news that you have to take those "mercury" bulbs to the hazardous waste dump. How do you even find that?

Date: May 01, 2008 10:09PM

Rob
Thanks for thst site! Have you bought any there? I cant figure out why they arent in stores yet. Today I replaced all of my cf lites with GE Reveal incandecents.

I want to add LED lights to my web site, so if anyone finds a good brand please let me know.

thanks

elnatural

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: May 01, 2008 10:44PM

At that price, no I haven't bought any! I use normal incandescents, I would never use flourecent due to the flicker (and more recently due to hearing about the mercury). I guess that the LED bulbs are not in shops yet as they are so new and there will probably be quite low demand for them until they come down in price.

That site is the only one I've heard of selling them, it might even be the only one - it is the site of Mike Adams who launched them.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Date: May 01, 2008 10:44PM

1. I knew about the mercury in these bulbs before you, Alan. In fact, I think I told you about it.

2. This is more fall-out from the Man-Made Global Warming Hoax.

3. Personally, after more than 10 years of living with the healthy white lights in my old home, I want to feel comfortable in the light, and white light does not do that. Those LED things would drive me crazy. If they make it a law that we can't use regular light bulbs anymore, I guess I'll have to break the law or maybe I should just start stockpiling them now.

Why don't you invent a long-lasting cheap healthy incandescent lightbulb?

[www.wnd.com]

Consumers in dark over risks of new light bulbs

Push for energy-saving fluorescents ignores mercury disposal hazards

"Last month, the Prospect, Maine, resident went out and bought two dozen CFLs and began installing them in her home. One broke. A month later, her daughter's bedroom remains sealed off with plastic like the site of a hazardous materials accident, while Bridges works on a way to pay off a $2,000 estimate by a company specializing in environmentally sound cleanups of the mercury inside the bulb.

The "Oh my gawd the world is gonna end" cult isn't about science, or even about the world. Ir's about selling you things, whether products, policies, or new taxes. The compact fluorescent bulbs being sold as freindly for the environment are anything but. Left unmentioned in this article; the radioactive isotope (Kr85, a gamma emitter with a half life of 10.7 years) used in some of these bulbs."

[www.informationliberation.com]

Ban the Bulb? -- "If all 4 billion incandescent sockets were filled with CFLs we'd have nearly 50,000 pounds of mercury spread around every single US household

Light Bulbs Targeted For Nationwide Ban

[www.moonbattery.com]

Date: May 01, 2008 11:14PM

Lois

I dont think you told me about the mercury or I would have done something about it already.

In my stack of F.E. plans I have some for making a radiant energy cold light box. A very simple device. It's on my long list of things to make. I have some materials for it already.

elnatural

Posted by: Context ()
Date: May 02, 2008 12:15AM

halogen bulbs are more efficient better than CF lumex/watt... thats why grow operations use them. And some also mimic the sun, so its like getting some sunshine when they are on in the room.

I also know that many aquarium enthusiasts prefer halogen bulbs because they are good for the plants.

As for the LED lights... I havent seen any that look worth while.

Date: May 02, 2008 06:55AM

I agree with ElNat that LED bulbs are the way to go. Too bad they're still so damn expensive.

Date: May 02, 2008 03:27PM

a friend of mine in toronto is heading up a business that makes and distributes LED lights, if anyone wants her contact info i'd be happy to get it for you. though i admit that the actual light is ghastly (to me) they are incredibly energy efficient and have the added bonus of not being filled with lead. i suppose i could just use them with the right kind of shade to change the colour of the light.
i refuse to use those stupid new flourescent lighs. they cost a bundle, the light is dreadful and what if they break in my house? forget it.

Posted by: idarastar ()
Date: May 02, 2008 05:34PM

I have nothing to add to the lightbulb adventure. I'm just lucky to live in a small studio apartment with large windows. smiling smiley

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 02, 2008 08:27PM

what's LED?

i have full spectrum lightbulbs

they last forever

are pretty too

easy on the eyes

relax me

Date: May 02, 2008 08:35PM

Light emitting diode like the new flashlights have.

coco I would like to have her contact number.

el

Date: May 03, 2008 01:26PM

i'll pm you her contact info, anyone else who wants it let me know.
here's the website in the meantime
[www.nationalleddirect.com]

apparently they are much better now than the last time i checked them out too.
they are very bright, as bright as the flourescents. that used to be a problem, i guess they were too dim before. and they don't get hot either. they have a very long life and nothing dangerous inside.
have you seen those new headlights that are just ridiculously bright? those are leds.

Date: May 04, 2008 06:53AM

what is the spectrum like on those LED lights? are there any close to sunlight?

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: May 04, 2008 08:36AM

I don't think compact fluorescent lights flicker. I have a bunch and haven;t noticed anything.

Also there is very little mercury in them nowadays. This makes them much safer, but they last less.

Date: May 04, 2008 03:28PM

it only takes 300 of those bulbs to pollute a 20 acre lake.

Date: May 04, 2008 11:52PM

is there such a thing as a safe level of mercury? i don't think so. even a little is very, vert bad.

i don't know about the spectrum, is that info on the site? you can contact them and ask any questions you have.

Date: May 05, 2008 12:57AM

coco: I contacted your freind and am waiting an answer.

thanks

elnatural

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables