Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: 100% Raw...Day 1...Again!
Posted by: pampam ()
Date: August 09, 2007 01:09PM

Islandgirl, You are an inspiration to me. You lost 50 pounds......yea for you. You really encourage me to attempt to prepare some different foods. Do you get your recepies on line?

I had a thought about the edemine you ate. I was reading in a non cook book to soak the garlic in some acv to clean any impurities or whatever on it before useing and I thought that maybe some things needed to soak in acv before we eat them raw? Not sure about all this and still learning but reading so much lately I could'nt tell you where I read it.

Thankyou for the inspirational words and help you wrote in my diary. I am truely going through a hard time personally. I hate being depressed but sometimes I just feel my back is against the wall and I am so tired of feeling traped in a no win situation. I am praying and hopeing for some sort of plan that will be a solution for this dilema. I have hope and a bit of faith that I will survive yet another hardship.

I hope you can figure out the posting of your pic so you can show off your weight loss.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: islandgirl ()
Date: August 09, 2007 04:51PM

Pam, I'm really glad you are feeling some better today. I know how hard it is to look up when situations look hopeless. But when you are truly down, there is no where to look but up. I believe you will be able to find strength inside yourself to do whatever you need to do and pray that God will give you the plan you need for your situation. Then you will have the BEST plan! You are obviously a strong women and from the little time that I've been reading your posts, you have so much to offer others so I KNOW you'll get through this...just hang in there. Someone told me once when you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on! I've never forgotten that.

When I first went raw, I checked out all the raw cookbooks I could from the library. There were none at my local library, but within the county system, there were quite a few that I was able to borrow through the inter-library book exchange system. Then I bought Alissa Cohen's "Living on Live Foods". All of her recipes are considered "gourmet". Most of them are really good. I thought the book was a little pricey, but I wanted to have "comfort" foods to deal with cravings and she certainly offers a raw alternative for almost everything you can imagine. I know there are a lot of recipes online, but I don't spend too much time surfing around and like to get recommendations from people.

Date: August 10, 2007 12:51PM

I'm so glad its Friday. My weight loss this morning was 49 lbs even. I was hoping to hit 50lbs today, but that's okay. I'll get there in a few days. I'm still 100% raw...9 days and holding. Honestly, I didn't think I could do it this long without cheating, so I'm really proud of myself. Yesterday was an emotionally stressful day and I didn't cheat, although I felt hungrier than usual. Actually, I'm hungry right now, but I'm going out for my walk and will wait to eat when I come back.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 10, 2007 02:21PM

nothing wrong with number 49 smiling smiley way to go

lol yer probably so focused on 50 that tommorrow you will be -51 and skip over it entirely ! tongue sticking out smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: August 10, 2007 06:13PM

Thanks Jodi...that would be a hoot wouldn't it!

Today I've got really bad cravings again. So far I haven't caved. I'm feeling a bit like PMS and in the past, this is when I have had my most difficult time with foods...about 2 weeks worth of ravaging hunger. It's interesting because I don't have the physical discomforts I've had in the past, other than just an increased appetite and occasional cramps. I'm going to try and stay full and eat more often because I really don't want to fail in this regard.

I had my morning smoothie and then went to the market while I was feeling full. By the time I got home (only one hour) I was ready to eat the paint off the walls. The best thing about this way of eating, is I can eat when I am hungry and dispose of conventions like...it's not lunch time yet. So I ate the rest of the mock salmon pate...that stuff is just to die for!!! and I'm feeling okay right now.

I have felt tired and weary most of the week and I'm thinking this is detox since going 100% raw. I just feel like I don't have the energy to do anything. I hope this pases soon.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: August 11, 2007 12:36AM

Did you get that book by Doug Graham, the 8/1/1 book? I think that it's worth getting, it goes into detail about raw fooders having a high ratio of fat in their diet, and the problems that creates.

He has seasonal menus in it too, so this week-end I'm going to follow the summer menu. I seem to do best on the wee-ends, when I don't have to care for kids during the daytime. The overnights are ok, they aren't the same as all day childcare.

You're doing so good! For energy, try more fruits, less fats.

Love,
Prism

Date: August 11, 2007 01:14PM

Yes Prism, I got the book. I agree with the idea and tried it for a while, but found I was constantly crashing in the late afternoons no matter how much fruit I ate. I was constantly hungry and couldn't seem to stay raw. Since adding a little more fat, I've been able to stay 100% now for 10 days straight. I also think the energy issue is detox since being 100% raw. So for the time being, I think 100% raw is better than cheating. Maybe after my body adjusts, I'll be able to cut back more on the fats and eventually make it to 80-10-10 or at least close. I guess everybody is different in how they need to transition.

Date: August 11, 2007 04:30PM

I agree that everyone transisitons at their pace and rightly so. It's so hard to get that fat % down to even 20%..especially when I'm used to much more fat per day. It's amazing to me how much fat I was and still do eat some days!

I just want to get thru the week-end with being high raw or 100% raw. I see there's a new 7 Week Raw thread, maybe I'll join that one.

Love,
Prism

Date: August 11, 2007 04:51PM

You should...for me, it really helps with accountabilty and encouragement.

Date: August 12, 2007 02:16AM

I had a great day today and was able to handle a lot of temptations. I went to a wedding reception that had catered in Mexican food. I ate before I went and didn't have anything to eat. Then my hubby took me to my favorite raw food restaurant and I got some take-out. I got enough for dinner tonight and tomorrow's lunch & dinner so I won't have to prepare anything. It was so good, but I couldn't even finish one dish, even though I felt hungry. It was weird. Then I had some of perbettys raw cheesecake recipe. Oh my goodness, it was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good! My husband and teenage daughter (who always turns her nose up to my raw stuff) both loved it.

I still am feeling really tired, draggy and achey in all of my joints. I'm hoping that this is detox and that it will pass soon. I walked my usual six miles but felt like a rag muffin the rest of the day. I made myself function, but I sure felt like being in bed.

I'm going to join the 7 week challenge and hope to stay 100% which will I think will help with encouragement and accountability. My husband and daughter had sushi today and I was ever so tempted to just have one piece...but I was able to say no and eat my delicious raw foods. It felt good.

Date: August 12, 2007 05:32PM

I'm interested in knowing what kind of raw foods did you get at the raw eatery? I'm curious to know what % of fat may have been in the foods. I'm really starting to believe that it's the fat that makes us tired. Sugar might give us energy, then we crash later, but for an all day kind of sluggishnish (is that a real word?)I'm thinking it's the amount of fat that drains us.

I am shopping today for the rest of my veggies, and acv, and I want to buy nori wraps and make my son some mock sushi. He'll probably turn his nose up at it..but maybe I won't tell him what's in it at first. I'll have to look for a good raw recipe.

Any suggestions?

Love,
Prism

Date: August 13, 2007 01:18AM

Prism...I think you're right about the % of fat possibly being the culprit. I ordered several dishes to eat over the next couple of days. I think it was a binge of sorts...so as soon as they are gone, I'm going to back mostly fruit. I can't remember the ingredients, although they were listed on the menu. I ordered stuffed mushrooms (probably mostly nut stuff), New Mexico Nachos (seemed to have a lot of veggies w/ cheese tasting stuff...so again, probably nuts) and a hemp quesadilla, which I haven't eaten yet.

Here is a great raw recipe that my non-raw family SWEARS tastes like salmon. I've posted it a few times, but here it is, just for you. It is great stuffed in nori for a sushi taste. I also like it in celery.

Mock Salmon Pate
2 cups of walnuts
2 stalks of celery
1-2 scallions
1 large red bell pepper
1/2-1 tsp sea salt

Mix all until creamy in the food processor, then refrigerate. It is SO good! I've been binging on it. Probably the nuts that are causing my lethargy so when this batch is gone, I'll give it a rest and see what happens.

Date: August 13, 2007 04:18AM

Are you soaking the walnuts. I have not been soaking the nuts and perhaps that is causing a problem.
Another thought, could you be in your cycle? That could make you feel lethargic. Even though I do not have a perion any longer I still go through a cycle and sometimes feel a tired feeling.
Keep us posted on your progress. Hope you start feeling better.

Date: August 13, 2007 02:31PM

Oh..thanks so much for the recipe. I've got all the ingredients except the bell pepper and nori sheets. I'm going to give it a try and place some with slivered veggies and wrap in nori sheets.

I did join the 7 week challange, trying to find motivation and the conviction to stick with high raw. My cleanse is making me feel so good, I think it's a prime time for me to stick with raw longer than a week at a time.

Love,
Prism

Date: August 13, 2007 03:30PM

Pampam...I only soak my nuts if the recipe tells me to do so. I have been using many of Alissa Cohen's recipes...sometimes she says to soak and sometimes not. It is 2 weeks before my cycle, so I thought it was a little early. But ag 47...who knows. Things in that department are changing. Prism suggested that perhaps I'm eating too many nuts and I think perhaps that might be it. I'm going to back off a bit today and see how I feel. I previously wasn't eating them at all, but I was hungry all the time and really never felt full which led to me cheating in the evenings. So I used the nuts to stay satisfied and stay 100% raw. I'm beginning to wonder what the balance is. I know I can't go on feeling this way and be productive. Yesterday, for instance, I slept 2 hours later than usual, getting almost 10 hours of sleep. Then I took a hard 2 hour nap and then was back in bed by 8:30 last night. I think I feel better today. I just got back from a 6 mile walk so I'll see how the day goes.

I too joined the 7 week challenge. I have been 100% for 12 days straight now. I think I would like to find out more about the differences between being 100% and "high" raw. What do people who are high raw allow in their diet, why are they eating other things besides raw (is it really a choice to eat certain things or is it due to giving in to cooked) and I also wonder how they feel. In fact, I think I'll start a new thread about that and see what turns up.

I'll be posting my food intake probably at the end of the day.

Date: August 13, 2007 03:43PM

You might try putting in say..weveral ripe bananas, some ditilled water in blender and drink that when you are feeling tired. It's supposed to be a great enerziger. I think I'll try it today myself around 3 pm.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: August 13, 2007 04:53PM

I think one of the things that makes us tired is when our body needs some more energy for digestion and so it takes more energy and that makes us tired. That's why people are tired after a big turkey dinner at thanksgiving. I agree that it could definitely be too many nuts because they take more energy to digest. Those raw food restaurants are great for an occasional treat but their food tends to be pretty energy zapping due to nuts in everything.

Anyway, hope you start feeling better and more energetic, islandgirl. Try a green smoothie (half fruit, half greens). Those always make me feel good!

Date: August 14, 2007 03:06AM

Thank you everyone for your well wishes. Surprisingly, I felt pretty good today although I didn't do anything differently. Here is what I ate today:
2 oranges (juiced before my walk)
2 bananas + 1 c spinach in a smoothie
1 pear
hemp quesadilla (from the raw food restaurant...mostly veggies in the quesa)
grapes
stuffed mushrooms (from the raw restuarant...which I couldn't finish)

I walked my normal 6 miles. I didn't feel as tired, draggy or sore today. I don't really understand. All I know is just to keep doing what I'm doing. But now that my leftovers are gone, I do intend to cut back on the nuts...besides the energy level possibility, they seem to be imparing my weight loss ( no change in 3 days).

I really am contemplating the benefits of high raw versus 100% raw. I have enjoyed reading everyone's input on the thread I posted. I think most days and whenever possible, I want to stay 100% raw, however if I have to eat non-raw because of a particular situation, I won't sweat it. But for now...I am 12 days at 100%.

Date: August 14, 2007 06:58PM

I'm glad to hear you are feeling better! Congrats on the 12 days raw!

Date: August 15, 2007 02:13AM

Well, I'll have to change the title of this diary thread because...I fell off the wagon today.

4 oranges, juiced
1 c chamomile tea ( I heard it helps with cramps) (It did...but made me sleepy)
2 pieces of raw cheesecake
1 avocado
raw tortilla chips

Then came the downhill slide. Once I started rolling, it was a slippery slope!
6 c popcorn
2 c vegetable fried rice
3 vegetable egg rolls

I resisted the fortune cookie!

I had been craving Chinese food for about 4 days. I heard a psychologist the other day say it is better to give in to cravings and get them out of your system. Don't know if that was good advice or whether or not it planted the idea in my head. I have to say I enjoyed it completely and really feel as though I got the craving out of my system. Since I started raw back on June 1, I think I have been 100% most days, although now and then I have a dinner meal out.

Today ends 13 days at 100% raw. It was a nice run. I'm not going to let it discourage me... I'm back at it tomorrow. I want "raw" to be the norm, but I've decided I'm not going to beat myself up if I have a little cooked occassionally. So far I don't feel bad...but tomorrow will be more of the test of that. It probably won't look good on the scale.

Perhaps being 100% raw 100% of the time is too high a goal or unrealistic for me. I guess I'm still transitioning...and learning. I know previously during PMS I have done a lot worse.

Date: August 15, 2007 02:35AM

Yes, you are right in not letting it stress you that you ate other than all raw.

We are right here with you and support you!

Love,
Prism

Date: August 15, 2007 04:26AM

We strive for that balance that makes us feel comfortable. Rice and vegetables are a good choice of cooked foods. I take it you were on your monthly cycle. That is a very hard time, isnt it? I usually got the muncheys for lots of things. I also got real tired just before I started, so tired that I could fall asleap standing up. Maybe that was your reason for being tired? I went through so many years being a crazed witch just before my period. Fortunately I have been through the change now but I still have a cycle but not as dramatic. I wish you the best of fortune and for you to find your balance.
pam

Date: August 15, 2007 02:11PM

Hey, at least you didn't pig out on cake and ice cream! I think you ate about the healthiest cooked foods around. Let us know how you are feeling today and don't give in to guilt - it's not worth it.

Date: August 15, 2007 02:43PM

There is something to be said about doing as much as we can for the time we are in, because eventually if done enough it will last longer and longer if that's our goal.

Just because we can't be 100% raw fooders right now, doesn't mean we are not on the road to that goal. I know that what I eat today is 100 times better than what I ate before discovering raw foods. I won't go back!

Love,
Prism

Date: August 15, 2007 02:49PM

Thanks for the encouragement girls. Actually, I feel okay today, other than still feeling tired...but no ill effects from the cooked food other than on the scale. How can 2 cups of rice equate to 2 lbs of weight gain? That concept has always astounded me! Oh well...it will be gone in a day or two. I started out my morning with a green smoothie after my walk and I really feel like I got the cravings out of my system yesterday so I will be able to focus today and eat right.

Date: August 17, 2007 03:02PM

It's Friday..and I'm so happy..it's been a long week because of the heat. Since one of the full time babies is on vacation next week, I'm going to go back to very high raw, with some 100% raw days starting this week-end.

How are you doing with your cravings Islandgirl?

Love,
Prism

Date: August 17, 2007 03:33PM

Well, honestly, not too well. I had a pretty good day yesterday, until the evening. Our church hosts a military wives banquet every year for the ladies at Camp Pendleton, CA. We had 300 women and 225 kids. I was in charge of the nursery. They brought pizza around for all the workers. I just love pizza. I ate it and it wasn't even good. It's like I have this "memory" of how good pizza is, but it so didn't live up to what I remembered it to be. I was mad at myself for eating it. All in all, I don't think I've eaten that badly even though I haven't been 100%, but I didn't lose any weight this week either...just stayed the same, which is good, considering.

Last night and this morning I had a lot of cramping...but still nothing. I wish I could just go through menopause and get it over with. This morning I fixed 2 cups of some raspberry tea which is supposed to be good for cramps. I put it in my fruit smoothie and it was very tastey that way ( I'm not much of a tea person). I made 3 more cups to sip on through the day. I'm hoping it will help.

I too am really glad its Friday!

Date: August 17, 2007 03:42PM

Here's what I ate yesterday:

Breakfast: Green smoothie
Snack: macadamia nuts & carob / Lara Bar
Lunch: 1 avocado, 1 slice sprouted bread
Snack: 94% fat free popcorn
Dinner: Salad

Pizza while babysitting. It wasn't good.
I walked 4 miles

Date: August 17, 2007 03:51PM

Yes, as we continue to eat more and more raw food - the cooked food starts tasting worse and worse. I think when we first start trying to go raw we have to occasionally eat a little cooked food so we will realize how it is not as great as we remember.

You poor thing on the cramping. A heating pad used to help me with that.

You are eating lots of healthy food and exercising - way to go!

Date: August 17, 2007 04:55PM

not fair to have a pizza waved in front of you. I love pizza. I am going to have to find something comparable in the raw world. I crave spice and really want spicey foods right now. I think when we crave things it is a sighn of a need we may be lacking. I think we do have some instincts that are dormant in us and we have forgotton what our craveings mean. I sometimes assess what I have been eating and try to think what I may be lacking. You know like protien, calcium, minerals, water, ect. If we are lacking something we will tend to crave things. Don't you think?

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables