Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Cat Menu
Posted by: Kit ()
Date: August 19, 2007 03:59PM

Greetings to all you fellow humans w/ cats.

We have a handsom 8 yr old tuxedo cat. Last night we began giving him some raw fish for dinner & he really liked it.

He used to get conventional dry & wet food and he had bad dandruff. We switched to Newman's Own kibble in the AM & Whole Foods brand canned wet in the evening. It's more costly but his dandruff cleared up.

Now we are hoping to wean him off the cooked (I think) canned food in favor of whatever raw fish etc. we can get for him.

When I was a kid we always gave our cats milk and raw eggs but this guy has never been into that.

Hope all your cats are healthy and happy. They are fascinating animals.

Kit

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cat Menu
Posted by: lovebird ()
Date: August 20, 2007 08:53PM

I am the owner of 2 siamese cats (and 2 lovebirds) that are transitioning to raw. A thread on this forum entitled "how do i make my cats eat raw?" was very helpful and suggested taking a look at rawfedcats.org. I love that site!

In the past, I mail ordered high quality kibble and gave them a spoonful of canned tuna or salmon every morning. That was their diet for years. They are now 7. A few months ago I started giving them some raw meat and they were not comfortable with it. I found that sprinkling nutritional yeast on it made them eat just about anything!!!! It's silly, but works. They started eating chicken gizzard and liver along with the canned fish.

Last week I bought them some chicken breasts, salmon, and tilapia (trying to keep the cost down). They are in high heaven. I even took some green vegie juice (that I make for myself) and blended it with some tilapia and poured a spoonful on top of the meat chunks. They lapped it up! So there is a way to get greens in them, if they need it.

They are eating 1/2 raw, 1/2 kibble right now. I am a little concerned about the cost of going 100%. It is going to be a whole lot more expensive. It is less expensive to feed my birds a raw diet. I just cut up a little bit of what I am eating and give them wheat and lentil sprouts. They are the cutest, sweetest little things!

--lovebird

Date: August 22, 2007 03:33AM

Hi lovebird,

Thanks for mentioning rawfedcats. I'll check it out. Sounds like your cats are pleased w/ their diet. I know what you mean about the cost. But gads, I shudder to think what's in the usual store bought pet food.

Are your little lovebirds mostly green? I'm trying to remember what they've looked like when I've seen them at pet stores. I know they were real pretty.

My two rats (also very sweet) get some of whatever fruit, vegies & a little nuts & seeds we have around. Feeding them is easy and it's fun since they usually love what they get.

Kit

Date: August 22, 2007 07:17PM

Kit - yes, the lovebirds are green with orange faces, red beaks and a little bit of blue on their tail. They are fischer lovebirds. I am going to try to add a picture of one of them right after a bath.....

Date: August 22, 2007 07:32PM

Here's an effort to show off my little cutie pie after a bath--

Date: August 22, 2007 08:21PM

Hmmmm.... I don't know how I feel about posting a picture of my bird under the heading "Cat Menu"!!!!!

--lovebird

Date: August 24, 2007 01:44AM

lovebird,

I love it! I especially love that your bird is still wet from a bath.

And yes, huh-yuk, I understand feeling a little queasy postinng it under "Cat Menu". Perhaps I should in turn post my rats under cat menu.

Anyway thanks for the picture, I think you just made my day.

Kit

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 24, 2007 02:10AM

lovebird Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hmmmm.... I don't know how I feel about posting a
> picture of my bird under the heading "Cat
> Menu"!!!!!
>
> --lovebird

rofl ~~ !!! =p

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: August 29, 2007 04:17PM

Sorry for the delay in responding. I would love to see a pic of your rats! Might as well make it a full range menu!!!!

Date: September 23, 2007 09:30AM

lovebird,

I've been away from my computer for awhile, sorry.

My camera is out of juice right now but I will post a pic of two well fed rats soon.

Your bird is beautiful.

Kit

Date: November 03, 2007 08:01PM

mmm...pumpkin, finally got photo, sorry for delay
Kit

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables