Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Protein
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 08, 2008 11:43PM

Hi there. I am trying to transistion to a raw food diet. I find myself getting nervous about getting enough protein, I have a very labourous job and am feeling weak and having a headache (which may be detox), but I am paranoid that it is a lack of protein. What do you eat to get enough protein? I've been eating nuts and seeds, sprouted beans, and a lot of fruits and veggies. Thanks for any imput.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Protein
Date: May 09, 2008 12:12AM

The protein issue is something I struggled with too when I first considered going raw.I thought that without milk,canned tuna,protein shakes,and cheese ,and beef several times a week,I would not get my protein.
All I can say is that I rely on sprouts,and fruits and veggies,and nuts,and am experiencing no symptoms that would indicate I am not getting enough protein.
Feel better in fact.
I think what you are eating is fine.....but maybe you are going thru an adjustment period.?
I have read that the body only needs something around 23 grams per day,but a very physical job might require more?
Folks who have more experience with raw might know more on this issue.
I am pretty new at it.
Brian

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: May 09, 2008 12:37AM

My opinion (and some personal facts thrown in):

It's a myth. I've been eating all raw for many years now...and just fruit for the past few. My recent blood tests indicate (although I don't need blood tests to tell me) that my protein levels are fine. As are iron....fats...and all the other indicators. Just my experience. If you are concerned about protein (which ALL raw food has in sufficient quantities....if you are eating a wide variety)...then you can always eat extra sprouts....and dark leafy greens.

-Just some tips.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: May 09, 2008 01:46AM

Too much protein is actually the big problem. It creates an acidic condition in the body. This promotes cancer growth in a BIG BIG way (they can control cancer growth rates by adjusting the protein intake) and it also causes osteoporosis as the body pulls calcium out of the bones to alkalize the body.

Just remember that during the first months of a baby's life, when it is doing it's most rapid growth, it (idealy) consumes only human milk. Human milk is only 6% protein, by calories, which is about the same concentration of protein that the average fruit has. Fruits seem to range from 3% to 9% protein by calories when I looked at them on a database.

On the other hand, changing your diet too quickly MIGHT cause protein deficientcy symptoms. There are always people saying that they are loosing hair when they first go on the raw diet, for example, it always grows back later. I don't know if this is because they are absorbing less of the new foods or if their body is doing rapid rebuilding and neglects the hair.

Posted by: roadrunner ()
Date: May 09, 2008 01:46AM

Check this out! Tim is cool and he has the protein answer!
[www.youtube.com]
Rob

Posted by: idarastar ()
Date: May 09, 2008 02:01AM

What are signs of low protein anyway?

Doesn't the body produce protein itself?
Amino acids are the "building blocks" of protein and they are found in vegetables, grains and nuts.
That's what I have gathered from reading. Is this right?

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: May 09, 2008 02:22AM

It seems clear to me from images of starvation in 3rd world countries that 'protein deficiency' shows signs of bloated stomach....stringy limbs and edema. I'm sure this is also accompanied by lethargy....etc. It is my experience (as it might be to anyone who has actually met a happy raw food person meeting their goals....or who is one themselves) that there is no such disorder in those cases. This certainly is the case in my own life.

-It is a legitimate concern....and is the most common one expressed by people have not experienced eating lots of fresh plant foods for a long time. In my opinion...it is a concern that has little merit or instance.....in the case of a regular middle class American with no pre-existing/existing medical conditions.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2008 02:24AM by davidzanemason.

Date: May 09, 2008 03:56AM

Wow! Thank you for all the great answers so far. This was my first post, as I have just joined, and I am impressed with all the informative, intelligent, and helpful answers.

I think part of my worry might be psychological. I have been a vegan for quite a while and most always relied on soy products and cooked grains and legumes for my protein, and even then my family always worried about my protein intake. Now that I am trying to eliminate many of those foods it may just be me thinking that I am going to have an issue with it.

Thanks again!

Melissa

Posted by: Discover ()
Date: May 09, 2008 04:45AM

Hi Melissa,

I've been eating only whole raw fruits and veggies these days - no nuts or seeds whatsoever. I just had a complete blood profile done; CBC, CHOL, HEM, IRON, B12... and everything was fine.

A big theory in Bodybuildering is that you have to be in a positive nitrogen balance to gain strength and size. Whether this is true or not, I've been gaining muscle faster then I ever have and I've been working out for over 15 years. If I had to guess I'd say I take in 10-20 grams a day, probably no more.

The biggest indicator for me that I'm getting enough protein is that I'm simply not craving it. And about the losing hair, my hair is more strong then it's ever been. If I grabbed my hair and pulled it really hard with both hands I'd only get one strand if I was lucky.

In time you will be able to tell for yourself if you're getting enough protein or not. You can also ask for a blood test and that will tell you as well.

Date: May 09, 2008 01:16PM

Discover,
That is encouraging about how you are building muscle faster than ever on a raw diet.
After reading,and watching Tim's youtube videos,I am seeing that animal protein takes so much energy to digest,and that plant protein doesnt,and that probably makes for better gains relying on plant protein for bodybuilding.
I read this 20 yrs ago and said poppycock! I thought I had to have my tuna,milk,and expensive shakes every day.
Brian

Posted by: Mehnoush ()
Date: May 09, 2008 07:28PM

and this Youtube:
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: May 09, 2008 08:18PM

I lift weights in the gym and used to do the bodybuilding diet and I can tell you it's a helluva lot easier on raw. Sometimes I do eat some shrimp if I crave it but in no way am I getting even close to the "recommended" 100-150 grams of protein that I used to. Actually, I'm often turned off by food after a heavy weight workout. I've come to the conclusion that rather than protein being what builds muscle, I think it's the body declaring rest & repair after a heavy workout that builds the muscle. Sometimes I worry about my lack of desire for food after having burned so many calories, but then I remind myself that when the body needs to heal, it turns off the appetite and makes us go take a nap.

Posted by: Keepitsimple3344 ()
Date: May 14, 2008 01:25AM

Hey Discover,

I am lifter also,can check out my thread it mentions body building.I posted it yesterday.Thanks

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: May 14, 2008 12:15PM

When I first started going raw vegan I felt weak, but did not know it until I started taking multi vitains. After a while though, I stopped and felt fine. Maybe the multis chelated the toxins? Not sure... I still supplement with B12 though.

Posted by: earthmother213 ()
Date: May 14, 2008 02:07PM

if you have the time, t. colin campbell wrote a book called "the china study" that discusses the origins of the obsession with protein in the US and debunks all of the myths about protein in our culture. it's a fascinating read.

chandelle

Date: May 15, 2008 11:32PM

I am totally sold on using plant protein for muscle building.
I have seen results from working out in recent weeks that surpassed 12+ years on SAD bodybuilding plans.
Brian

Posted by: gold rush ()
Date: May 17, 2008 11:12AM

I've been eating less protein than I ever have...and am physically and visibly stronger and faster than I ever have been.

raw foods have made my body more stable and solid...and genuine somehow.

Posted by: laurieforti ()
Date: May 17, 2008 08:25PM

Scientifically-credible info on protein:
[ecologos.org]
[ecologos.org]

Laurie

--
Scientifically-credible info on plant-based human diets:
[ecologos.org]
news:alt.food.vegan.science

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: May 17, 2008 08:55PM

I build muscle soo fast on raw its insane

Green smoothies!!

I use Hemp post workout

thats it dude..just fresh vibrant food!

Date: May 17, 2008 09:34PM

Cool!
I will try the hemp shakes.
Brian

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: May 18, 2008 10:05AM

The first time I went vrgan, I felt weak. I took some good quality multivitamins and felt much better. I still supplement w/ b12.

As far as protein goes, there is hemp protein and sprouted rice protein. They are supposed to be complete.

Posted by: Elakti ()
Date: May 19, 2008 03:36AM

I second the suggestion to read "The China Study". Fantastic book. This will completely clear up your worries about protein. Don't let the scientific appearance of book scare you off...it is totally readable and once you get into it, it is indeed fascinating. Campbell himself adopted a plant based diet, seemingly very much along the lines of 8-1-1, and got his whole family to eat, as his son said, "plants". He was a prestigious scientist at the highest levels and had to even fight the big money gov't ...he stood his ground with what he discovered about diet and nutrition. Fascinating studies...in one study, they actually controlled the cancer and remission back to cancer back to remission in the same animals by the addition or removal of animal protein in diet! They were also using a powerful toxin (aflatoxin) in huge amount along with animal protein in diet. Without changing the presence of this toxin in their diet. It was not the toxin by itself, but the presence or absence of protein that caused or removed the cancer!!! And, interstingly enough, the amt of protein was only 20%. Ha! Plant-based protein and aflatoxin= no cancer!!!! Aha!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables