Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

some of you might be interested - practical food containers
Posted by: Seren ()
Date: May 13, 2008 04:48AM

Hey there,
Not sure if this is in the right place so feel free to move it around as you see fit. Just came across these food containers which I think are pretty cool for those of us who need to bring food with us everywhere. They come in perfect little sizes and keep it all cold and fresh. You may have heard of them before, be opposed to plastic etc etc... Either way, here's the link to do with what you wish so go to town on it.

[www.organize.com]
[www.fit-fresh.com] (more products)

I find the 'Breakfast on the Go' and the 'Salad Shaker'the most lustworthy :p

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2008 04:48AM by Seren.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: some of you might be interested - practical food containers
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: May 13, 2008 05:04AM

Rubbermaid Containers from Wal-Mart are serving me very well.....WY

Posted by: jackie ()
Date: May 13, 2008 11:00AM

I was happy to see this topic.

I've had questions about using plastic for my food. I heard there was "good" plastic - does not leach into food and "bad" plastic which is to be avoided.

How do I find out the difference?

I use the rubbermaid stuff from Walmart, and cross my fingers.

I also use ziplock bags for freezing stuff but I notice a specific odor when for example, nuts are stored in the freezer. Is that from the plastic or just because its in the freezer?

Any ideas?

BTW, I bought some green bags and did not notice much of a difference in the keeping quality for my produce. In fact, I used them to keep some bananas from ripening too quickly, and they got moldy. Go figure! Maybe I'm not doing it right. The produce was not wet. Hmmm.

Thanks!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 13, 2008 01:27PM

i like these

[www.kleankanteen.com]

[www.citychef.ca]

i don't like plastic, especially for food. the manufacturing is so polluting, i just try to avoid it as much as possible.

Posted by: hyldemoer ()
Date: May 13, 2008 01:58PM

I phased out plastic food storage containers quite a while back, though I am experimenting with a few sprouters at the present. (I wanted to see how efficient they were before getting some to give my family as gifts.)

I mostly use good old fashioned (but wide mouthed) canning (mason) jars.

They're inexpensive.
They come is an assortment of sizes.
I can easily see what's in them.
I buy the white plastic lids for the tops and make sure food isn't in contact with those lids.

I also have an assortment of rubber lidded "pyrex" glass round bowls and square pans.

I suppose any old jar could be recycled again as a storage container if money was short.
A plus of the pyrex and wide mouthed canning jars is that they can be used to freeze things in if wanted.

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: May 13, 2008 03:54PM

I use some plastic (mostly recycled containers from parm. & hummus that my honey brings home) but mostly mason jars of all sizes, and have just started using the glass jars that the co-op provides for bulk foods.

Date: May 13, 2008 10:40PM

those plastic containers that hummus, yogurt etc come in are not meant to be re-used and doing so may yeild plastic residue leaching into foods. they are meant to be tossed, plastic water bottles too, they degrade rather quickly. do yourself a favour and put those straight into the recycling bin.

i use some wide mouthed masons too, those are my favourites. i haven't found those plastic lids in that size though, have to keep an eye out for those. i used to have some glass tupperware-ish tubs from ikea with glass lids, i gave them away before moving across the country though. i'll invest in more of them this year, they were great in the freezer.

Posted by: hyldemoer ()
Date: May 13, 2008 11:29PM

The hardware stores in my urban neighborhood all have a "canning" dept. later during the growing season. The bigger hardware stores have a "canning" dept. all year round. (Canning equipment in a hardware store? Yeah. Who knew!)

I'd phone ahead to see if your local hardware store carries the white plastic lids. They might need to special order them though I've found that if the stores here have the glass jars in stock, they've got the extra plastic lids.

The only trick then is to make it past the chemical lawn fertilizers and herbicides without passing out.

Posted by: jackie ()
Date: May 14, 2008 11:25AM

Thanks for your ideas on glass storage. I agree. But for the freezer, too? I just never stored anything in glass in the freezer. I don't know why, but it seemed plastic was better for the freezer. Hmmm.

The stainless stuff is beautiful, but again, for the freezer? Also it is a tad expensive and not much variety. I use a stainless thermos, its' great, but it too was expensive.

I buy seeds, nuts, etc. in bulk, and transferring it all to quart size canning jars seems a bit over the top - freezer space being at a premium, I mean. How many jars would it take to store 5 pounds of sunflower seeds? Yikes!

That's why I have been using ziplock freezer bags, because they make the best use of the limited freezer space.

Anyone have any links to the "bad plastic" information?

Thanks!

Date: May 14, 2008 12:39PM

here's a cool baggy made by someone in the town i lived in in BC
[www.etsy.com]
i made a few from cotton muslin years ago with a velcro closure, they worked great for nuts and seeds. the hardware store sells clear plastic on the roll that would make ok reusable produce sacks too. it's still plastic but would last years longer than commercial baggies.

when freezing in glass you have to leave the lid loose so the food can expand as it freezes. once it's solid the lid can be put on tight. i don't freeze nuts and seeds, just put them into the fridge where jars take up less space than bags anyhow. it's works out pretty well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables