Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Trying 70 percent raw & breastfeeding. Any ideas?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 13, 2008 07:41AM

Hello,

I'm trying to transition to raw right now and I have a 6 month old that I'm breastfeeding. He only gets 1 solid feeding a day of a (mild) raw fruit or vegetable.

Everything I've read about detox says to take it slow when going raw if you're breastfeeding b/c of the possibility of expelling toxins into breastmilk, etc.. I've been feeling detox symptoms myself - fatigue, rashes, anger and breathlessness. My son has also developed a runny nose and some stuffiness, as well as some crabbiness and a touch of lethargy. He's also itching the side of his face where he used to have eczema. We've got all this and I'm only doing aobut 70% raw (i.e., all raw until dinner and dinner is about half raw). I'm worried about continuing/increasing the raw in my diet right now.

I was wondering if anyone out there has transitioned to raw during breastfeeding and what kinds of experiences they've had? Also, ideas, suggestions would be welcome.

Thank you!

NJ

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trying 70 percent raw & breastfeeding. Any ideas?
Date: May 13, 2008 01:28PM

if you feel the symptoms of detox and are concerned you can add a bit more cooked food back into your diet to slow it down some. perhaps some herbal tea, some steamed veg or simple soup for lunches. just pay attention to your body and good luck!

Date: May 17, 2008 07:16AM

Thank you. He's still got the runny nose and lethargy, but I don't know if it's a cold as well as, his sister has one. My detox was kind of difficult this weekend (had 2 raw papayas to help fix my recently diagnosed leaky gut) but I've started eating mostly cooked for for dinner again as opposed to half cooked.

I hope I'm doing the right thing, as I don't was to dump my toxins into my son's body!

Anyway, we'll see how it goes.

NJ

Date: May 17, 2008 06:22PM

runny nose and lethargy are also signs of teething, could that be it? keep your raw food at dinner, just add something else cooked if you wish during the day like simple steamed veg or broth or something easy like that.
what was your diet like before?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2008 06:23PM by coco.

Posted by: Rohanbaby ()
Date: May 18, 2008 01:26AM

Hi!

I am also breastfeeding my 5-months-old son and I started getting into raw just a few days ago. I am about 70 % raw as well (everything raw until dinner which consists of a cooked meal and a salad, supplemented with digestive enzymes).
So far I do not have noticed any detox-symptoms, neither with my son.
The only thing I noticed is that he does not @#$%& as much any more. The amount is significantly less. I think it is because he absorbs the milk better now than before...

Date: May 19, 2008 11:09PM

Hello NJ,

I still breastfeed my 2 1/2 year old son and whenever I up my raw intake, he gets a runny nose and sleeps more. I just watch him carefully and make sure his detox is light. I've had to up my cooked food intake a few time due to not consuming enough calories on raw foods alone (was used to be a heavy nurser). It has taken a long while, but I am finally back to where I was pre-pregnancy with my raw foods.

If you're new to raw food and have never gone through a cleanse before, then please take it slowly. The symptoms you stated that your baby has are indeed a detox and are completely normal. Its wonderful that's he's getting it out of him! Enjoy the process and you both will come out gleaming figures of health.

Just remember, you are the best judge and slow down if you or your baby are needing it. You have all the time in the world - you don't have to be raw tomorrow.

In Health and Happiness,
Stanzi

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables