Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

I got my Dad to try this for 7 days!
Posted by: mookie ()
Date: May 14, 2008 06:27PM

I'm pretty new to all this, but from what I've experienced I'm totally hooked. And I have been trying to figure out how to bring my Dad over to the "fruitty side" - so to speak. He has so many health issues, one of the biggest ones being diabetes. And he is always trying to follow some kind of food plan -- that never works, and he's always run down and sleepy, and allergy ridden. I talked him into trying a raw foods diet -- I got him to commit to 7 days! (all raw with the exception of 1 serving of cooked food with his dinner) I'm so excited, for both of us, this will really keep me motivated as well. I know I really felt a difference in just 3 days, so I am really hoping that 7 days will be enough for him to be able to see an improvement in how he feels - even if he doesn't lose any weight. So everybody keep your fingers crossed, maybe I can get my dad to give this a real go- beyond the initial 7 days. I so badly want to see him feel better. other than just keeping things simple, fruit and salads, does anybody have any suggestions of what I should I should encourage him to eat?

And thanks to everybody on this forum, you guys are all such an inspiration! and really just so kind to each other, that's a whole separate form of inspiration.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I got my Dad to try this for 7 days!
Posted by: roxeli ()
Date: May 14, 2008 09:35PM

I don't know if you've seen this video yet, but it's something you might want to share with your father:

[video.google.com]

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: May 14, 2008 09:42PM

That is great news. I felt better after a day and after a week I really felt better.

Have fun together!!

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: May 14, 2008 10:10PM

Best of luck to you both!

Sprouts are a nice addition to a raw diet, great for salads, on their own--there are so many different kinds, all it takes is a little imagination. I make sprouted lentil curries and sprouted grain "cereals," both of which rock my world. sproutpeople.com is the site that got me started. And growing your own sprouts is SUPER CHEAP! >8)

goneraw.com is a STOREHOUSE of raw recipes, if you're feeling elaborate. Gourmet is fun, but can sometimes involve lots of expensive ingredients and equipment. The nice exception to this is zucchini noodle pasta, with any sauce--marinara, pesto, alfredo (all raw!).

My dad used to razz me for years about being vegetarian, vegan, whatever... and just this week he sent me an email telling me how he is officially transitioning to a vegetarian diet! So, you never know what may happen. =) (I also told him that raw tacos are WAY BETTER than tofu tacos, I don't think I would have ever gone near a tofu taco at any point in my life...)

Date: May 14, 2008 11:36PM

Thanks roxeli for that link- that is amazing!

Thanks for pointing towards goneraw.com phantom, I think I am going to try one of their simpler recipes tonight. I have thought about sprouting-- I know I will one of these days. I will check out sproutpeople! I just have to go out and get the grains to sprout really.

Date: May 15, 2008 11:39PM

How's your dad...loving the food? I hope so.

Date: May 16, 2008 04:20PM

Thanks so much for asking. smiling smiley
**sigh** I love the man, but he makes me crazy. He does enjoy the fruit, but is already "whining" about their not being enough variety - ?!?!? which confuses me, but he's still committed to getting thru 7 days, so hopefully his perspective will change.
He pretty much jumped right in-- I have to give him credit for that, but he's having a hard time because he says he's hungry all the time - I told him to EAT MORE if he's hungry, I never intended for him to be hungry! I feel kind of bad about that part. But! I'm so excited he told me last night that his blood sugar levels are much better! woohoo! I didn't tell him about that utube video yet - I wanted him to see the results first, I didn't want to set off his skepticism alarm! I think if he sees some progress at the scale as well, he might be inclined to stick it out.

it is hard for him though, I think the food is "too light" for him right now, and he's not feeling full in the same way he accustomed to, hopefully he will start to adjust. He kept saying he didn't know if he could keep it up. But I told him: "Your blood sugar levels are already better, and hopefully you'll lose some weight, and that will help even more with the diabetes, and your sleep apnea, isn't that the goal? isn't eating this way worth it if it accomplishes those goals?" I think I saw the light go on above his head when I said that. it's a matter of priorities - do you want to eat anything you want or live to see your great grand children? that will be my next argument.. I feel for him, it is difficult, but at least there are two of us doing it- that helps, it's helping me.

He's too funny he called me yesterday to ask me if he was "allowed" to have dairy.. I had to tell him no. hehehee At least he's committed to these first 7 days, hopefully he will see enough of a change to make a go of it.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: May 16, 2008 06:02PM

<<< "Your blood sugar levels are already better, and hopefully you'll lose some weight, and that will help even more with the diabetes, and your sleep apnea, isn't that the goal? isn't eating this way worth it if it accomplishes those goals?" I think I saw the light go on above his head when I said that. it's a matter of priorities - do you want to eat anything you want or live to see your great grand children? that will be my next argument.. >>>

I love what you said to him. Keep reminding him to remind himself of his goals.

I am always eating. I always have been a big eater even though I am very small. I eat more than a lot of big men. Sprouts give me the full feeling that I miss with big hearty cooked meals. I never thought that would be the case. Sprouts seem so light but they do the trick. I pile them on a huge salad with lots of flavor like red bells and onions and it satisfies my hunger.

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: May 16, 2008 07:41PM

This is great Mookie! I wish my mom would do what your dad is doing. She flipped when she first heard about me going raw, but after a few months, she started asking questions. She too has diabetes (recently diagnosed) and is vehemently opposed to dealing with it through the use of Insulin, so she has been watching what she eats. Maybe I should talk to her again. The problem is that she lives in Cali and I in Mass. Hmmm...

Date: May 16, 2008 08:21PM

It makes it hard to be so far away, that's for sure. But you could offer support over the phone I suppose. Since she is against the insulin maybe that video from utube (see above posts) would be of some inspiration to her. It's really hard to control your diabetes thru diet alone - if she can do that should could probably stick to any food plan!

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: May 17, 2008 10:34AM

During the transition period, avocado, nuts and seeds are great to help you feel full.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 17, 2008 07:14PM

The best way to get newbie’s into raw is with recipes that look and taste familiar. I am a master at that. That’s how Quintessence in NY was able to become the first raw restaurant to really work; to open and stay open for so long. No one before us had figured that out yet and every attempt quickly closed. I knew if we were to be successful we had to make food anyone raw or not would love. Check out my recipes at <a href="[www.rawchefdan.com];
Good luck and keep up the good work.
Peace and Gratitude Raw Chef Dan

Date: May 17, 2008 10:01PM

rawchefdan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The best way to get newbie’s into raw is with
> recipes that look and taste familiar. I am a
> master at that. That’s how Quintessence in NY was
> able to become the first raw restaurant to really
> work; to open and stay open for so long. No one
> before us had figured that out yet and every
> attempt quickly closed. I knew if we were to be
> successful we had to make food anyone raw or not
> would love. Check out my recipes at
> rawchefdan.com
> Good luck and keep up the good work.
> Peace and Gratitude Raw Chef Dan

Raw Chef Dan,

I've been looking over your site and your blog...thanks so much for the recipes! I make a "pilgrimage" to Quintessence from outside Philly a couple of times a year and the food is just wonderful...exquisitely presented, and so delicious. I was just thinking today that I need to go. Spring triggers the Quintessence lust, for some reason winking smiley See you next Saturday!

Posted by: gorillawar ()
Date: May 28, 2008 01:48PM

rawchefdan,
Interesting way to sell recipes. One at a time will net you much more profit than selling them in a book.

Posted by: rawangel ()
Date: May 28, 2008 07:24PM

Oh Mookie, please share your secret! Congratulations...seven days is great and I hope your Dad reaps wonderful health and results. I wish I could get my Mom to do that. Whenever she sees my green smoothies, she scrunches up her nose, tells me she doesn't like "green" food...the color you know.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables